What's new

Windows 98

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Why???

Win 98 is (for me) the most compatible and the fastest OS!

Why should I switch to a "worse" Windows???

OP
schibo

schibo

Emulator Developer
hehe well, for an OS, i don't think you can ask for much more. Assuming you're not running some funky app, let XP sit, it will not crash. Throw a bunch of stuff at XP and it can take it. Plus it's fast. Can't say that for 98 :)

(Tabby senses the offended Linux gurus anxious to chime in at any moment)

Trotterwatch

Totally agree with you on that one Schibo. A lot is made of Win XPs lack of compatability, but I for one have had no problems whatsoever. It seems the only programs that have major problems are the ones that address the Kernal such as older Virus scanners etc.

Even some old DOS programs run better in the emulated DOS of XP than they ever did in 98s.

As for Linux it is a very fast and capable OS, but the problem is it doesn't support (more specifically software) as much as the Win9x, NT line of OS's. As such I don't believe you can compare them both in many situations.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Heh, no no no no. XP is slower on start & shut-down for me :(
The only GOOD thing about XP is that it doesn't crash!
98 crash as soon as I try to use my modem :happy: !

OP
schibo

schibo

Emulator Developer
Doom <-- hehehe :)

For 98 we set the thread priority to high for the emulation thread to try to get more performance out of 1964 on it. In XP/2000/NT we don't need to do this. Plus with the latest version of 1964 we've upped the audio thread priority and handle messaging to the audio thread a bit differently. You can't really appreciate this in 98 though, which is why I suggested, go with a newer OS ;)

Trotterwatch

XP is slower on start & shut-down for me

Have you disabled Nvidia Driver Helper service in the services.msc tab? If not go and do it, and watch your shutdowns speed up :)

If not check the eventvwr.msc to find clues into what is slowing it down (this sometimes works).

Last edited:

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
HAHAH :sly:

No! I use Win98, but I never had serious problems (But I format c: every half year).

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
It must've been almost two years since I last reformatted my HD. But now I'm getting critically low on HD space and Win98 is getting very unstable. My new PC is going to be uber-powerful. Should I make the switch to XP? I really don't want to have to buy a new version of Norton Systemworks... ???

flow``

flow``
xp is so much more better then i ever remember 98se..

i can crash ssf on it a million times w/o xp ever having a problem.

i use norton system works 2002 pro. i got the warez version, well same with xp for that matter.

norton 2002 is really nice b/c it auto-updates it self, which is a really nice convience.

just norton 2002 anti virus is all i actually use. i never installed any of the other stuff except norton utilites, which was required i think.