What's new

Windows 98

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Flea said:
I hate to be the Mac zealot here, but after reading this thread I can't believe you guys put up with this crap. I've been using Macs for 8 years and I haven't had a anywhere near the number of problems listed here. I guess market share != quality in this case ;)

*Looks at the Mac Nintendo 64 emulators*

Mac TrueReality: Confirmed to run a total of... six commercial ROMs. Last updated in early 2000...

SixtyForce: 13 ROMs totally playable, 22 mostly playable, 30 borderline, a buttload of intros, 30-40% do nothing.

Yes, I think I'll abandon 1964, Project64, Daedalus, Apollo and Nemu for these two brilliant emulators!

crhylove

Banned
stability on a mac?

are you on crack?

my crippled uncle (who's mainly on his back), i've nursed through 5 iterations of the mac os. (upgrade attack) each one of them was of poop, a sack. not until they got unix in os X did they pick up the slack.

honestly, face the facts:

until os X windows was a BETTER os than mac.

and i've used them both EXTENSIVELY, jack.

if only wine was more accurate, i'd never go back to any corporate stack of crap.

rhy

oh, yeah, and go get a cd burner for wintel or mac on pricewatch. what's that you say? the mac one costs over 300% the PC one? WOW!

Last edited:

Flea

Re: stability on a mac?

crhylove said:
until os X windows was a BETTER os than mac.

I agree OS X is better than previous Mac OS incarnations, but the question of which was better is purely opinion.

oh, yeah, and go get a cd burner for wintel or mac on pricewatch. what's that you say? the mac one costs over 300% the PC one? WOW!

Whaaat? A CD-Burner is a CD-Burner man...there are no platform-specific burners in existence that I know of. If you put any IDE CD-RW into your Mac it will show up. I have no idea where you got this from. That's like saying a burner only works with windows and not with linux. It's going to depend on the drivers available for it, not the hardware itself. The "Mac" stuff you see on Pricewatch is just marketing, not a reflection of the actual product.

Last edited:

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
About the broadband support, of course an Ethernet based broadband connection will work in 2K/XP/Linux and many more, your supplier just won't support any software issues. If it was USB you might've had problems if there were no 2K/XP/Linux drivers available for it, but with a NIC there's no stopping you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't complain that they don't support WinXP soon, since Microsoft themselves are dropping support for Win98 in April 2003.

Boooooommm

The Wanderer
Highheat, your cable company are a bunch of morons! Internet through an ethernet port really doesn't need any setup :p The settings are already inside your modem I asume. As long as your ethernet card (or port) has drivers for XP, all you have to do is plug in the cable. THAT"S IT. Also, XP rox! GTA3 ran like p00p back in 98. Thinking ME would do some improvement I changed to ME. But I was wrong! The only good thing I remember from ME would have to be the blazing fast boot. Nothing else. :p ME is just 98 with a new face and more bugs. So I switched to XP, and boy I'm happy! ALL PC games run better on XP. NT doesn't support DirectX, so it isn't an option :p I was going for Win2k, but then I changed my mind and went for XP. So, all I can say is good things about XP. The only time that XP crashed was with TR64 I believe. I tried loading an unsupported rom (forgot what rom was it) and the bitch just crashed after loading the rom. The rest, is just nice and smooth ;) Also, XP has a compatibility mode option to run your programs just in case the program refuses to run normally. So, the compatibility isn't so low when it comes to software. Now, when it comes to drivers it's somethign else. I had to buy a new 56k modem since mine was made back in 1996. But nothing major has happened.

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Boooooommm said:
NT doesn't support DirectX, so it isn't an option...

Windows NT4 does support DirectX, however it only has to version 6. I wouldn't recommend NT4 to be used on a system where current gaming is an aim, for that you're better off with 2K/XP or even 98SE.

As for GTA3 performance, I get about the same in 2K as I did in 98SE. The lacking component in my setup is the GF2Ti, because GTA3 has quite an inefficient engine you need a GF3/GF4 to play sanely at resolutions over 800x600.

songoku

Black Swordsman
err... now that i've been using WXP for awhile, I'm gradually starting to be annoyed by some strange things that happen sometimes... Well, after a biiiig reflection upin myself and the world, I've come to the conclusion that:
MS Windows XP DOES TOO MANY THINGS THAT THE USER DOESN'T ASK!!

And this is quite boring, indeed. Now I don't think that WXP is crap, but it is less good than I thought before.

Moreover, I recently re-installed W98 (I got both of 98 and XP noow installed), and I remembered that 98 is faaar faster.
Yet my computer is not what you call a 'Ninja PC' but, hey, XP is really slower :plain2:

Trotterwatch

XP is much faster for me, than Win98 ever was. Though XP by default has far too much bloat loaded, and services that you will never ever use. Once tweaked though, it's a dream and doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever.

Boooooommm

The Wanderer
I hate that Windows Update shit! I did some tweaking to the services, but it's pretty nice :) What I like about XP is that you really don't need any program to tweak it the way you want it. And if you don't want the eye candy, you can make it look the traditional Windows 9x look. So, XP is VERY flexible.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
XP is just as annoying for upstart/shut down. It takes forever in my opinion. Much longer than windows 98.

And irriating enough, is that XP is too simple! Just look at the search! Nevertheless, it takes forever to load too.

Trotterwatch

XP is just as annoying for upstart/shut down. It takes forever in my opinion. Much longer than windows 98.

Again I must say that something is wrong with your system, as it is much faster in both regards for me. Have you made sure that the Nvidia Driver Help service has been disabled in the services.msc configuration?

Anyways, surely you can pick up a copy of Win98 and re-install that if you are so unhappy with XP?

zorbid

And irriating enough, is that XP is too simple! Just look at the search! Nevertheless, it takes forever to load too.
Just click the "All files and all folders" button. You will happilly see all the win98 search options.

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
<--- meanwhile, laughs at XP...

2k rocks, and it is AFAIK the most stable (not quite perfect, but close enough) Windows yet. 98 is perfect in terms of compatibility, BUT crashes a lot. Same deal with Win95... although some games will need 98+.

Just watch out, some older Win95 games won't run on 2k (even on Win 95 compat mode.. all this seems to do is spoof the OS version number) Some games complain about the DX version number, since Win2k uses DX NT.

Of course Win2k startup-shutdown times are pretty long, but who cares... if you dont have to hit "Reset" every 5 mins that's definitely better. :)

My 2c...

HigherHeat

Grand Marquee
Schibo, why haven't I had any of the problems that were
stated about 1964 version 0.8.3?

I use Windows 98 and it didn't crash in the rom browser.(Had more than 21 roms).
I also didn't have any slowdown, just the same consistency 1964
always has.

I think it's a legitamate release of a great emulator.

One more thing, Quarterback Club 98 will work if you
use these settings:

Azimers 3.0 audio (old driver)+
Jabo Direct3D6 1.4 video

RJA

The PC Wiz
Windows XP has major issues

I don't have any ACPI errors now, with my new motherboard,
but, Viper Racing has crackly and sometimes stuttering
audio:

Viper Racing

Worse, the game, Driver has the following major issue with the music, it repeats only one section of the music then starts over repeatedly *literally like a broken record* !

Also I have been for no apperent reason getting Windows
stop error video infinite loop crashes. :!!!:

Last edited: