What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

RiSiO's Retro Mario Sixty Four

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
castlewalltemplate.png

So I ripped the image, and rearranged some stuff. I made several layers; the hills and foilage in front to the left are are one layer, while to the right is a custom version where I eliminated the green hill to avoid an awkward repeating pattern.

The clouds are all specific layers, so I could arrange them however I want. The gradient backgroud was originally SNES HDMA style, but that just doesn't cut it for my pack, so I created a nice smooth gradient layer for that. Same colors though.

Also, the brick pattern on the final image seen in the screen shots is a top layer. Custom made, and done in black lines. I applied some transperancy to it obviously, as not to take away from the main image. Its actually the first time I got a brick pattern perfectly correct without doing any tiling tests. The only problems with it are from the games tiling issues, not on my part.

All in all, more work went into the image than just ripping it! I'm pretty much documenting my work with that image for the folks who want to rip textures for their packs. Ripping doesn't cut it, you need to do some work to make the ripped image fit with the enviroment!

Last edited:
OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Good question. I've been thinking about the health meter for a while now, and have even done a few experiments. It's going to be something totally different than the original meter, thats all I can really say at this point.

Also, its going to match the rest of the GUI, with that fade to white thing.

Other than that, I really have nothing to show you at this point. I'll tackle that in the coming weeks. I've got like 4 levels to finish up, and this thing will be done.

Hard to believe, eh?

Mollymutt

Yes, I know how long this stuff takes. Plus, yours must be much harder than mine. I didn't put nearly as much detail as you did in yours.

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
castle3-1.jpg

Heres a cool shot I took. Notice the snow levels door on the left. New numbers. Rather than have an egg star and a number on top of that, I just combined the two and made an egg number!

I also fixed the new railings up a bit. Something just wasn't clicking right with them, and it turned out to be the lighting. I think they're all good now.

castle4.jpg

Closer look at the egg numbers. I thought they came out real well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Updated the first page of this thread. I'm sick of the internet media using old crappy shots of this pack.

It's embarrassing to see some of those old shots! They look terrible!

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
http://files.filefront.com/Risios+Retro+Mario+64+Betazip/;10105348;/fileinfo.html

Here you go folks, the latest release of Retro Mario 64.

"Beta" edition. Next release will be the final version!

Remember, not everything is finished. Things like the "Peach Window" are placeholders. The Bowser levels are barely even touched, and I actually forgot about the submarine level!

Other than that, there are quite a few upgrades and additions from the last release from October 07.

Hope you all enjoy!

(There is also a link on the front page of this thread)

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
http://files.filefront.com/Risios+Retro+Mario+64+Betazip/;10105348;/fileinfo.html

Here you go folks, the latest release of Retro Mario 64.

"Beta" edition. Next release will be the final version!

Remember, not everything is finished. Things like the "Peach Window" are placeholders. The Bowser levels are barely even touched, and I actually forgot about the submarine level!

Other than that, there are quite a few upgrades and additions from the last release from October 07.

Hope you all enjoy!

(There is also a link on the front page of this thread)
Mind me, if I upload it to RS.com and give you another mirror?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I need to get this. This has always been one of my favorite packs, but it just keeps getting better every time.

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Thanks folks!

Heres a small little update that should have been included in the release.

star.png

SUPERMARIO641D0F0A8E02_rgb.png

Overwrite the previous star texture with this one.

kironohasama

Hey Risio, a LOT of the textures are NOT being changed. Here's a screenshot.
Note: I am using the latest beta that you've provided.

SUPERMARIO64-0.jpg