What's new

Rice's Daedalus 4.6.0 feedback thread

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
DeLeTeBR said:
And now in the same machine, with the same config, but in 1964:

It is hard to believe as the plugin should work just the same for all emulators. I will take a look.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
heres a little glitch i thought i'd mention, its one of the only Banjo-Kazooie has with this plugin, blue jingos, there should be 5 differen't colors, but anyway its a small glitch, no biggie.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Unexpected game almost show intro

Has anyone heard of "indiana jones and the infernal machine"?. It's intro almost shows (some letters appear but i can't understand anything) with rice's new plugin; from what appears in Project64 there is no video plugin supporting it at all, so a semi-intro showing must be good. Earthworm Jim looks great but a bit slow and resident Evil 2 has background problems (they appear smaller), if it isn't for that i think it would be playable.

I attached an image with an issue related to the way paper mario runs. It's about flicker (for me at least), it occurs in the exact same places with Tr64,Glide64 and Rice's plugins. Maybe it's related to fog emulation (read here for ore info: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=2436&)

Anyway i was thinking on how much Rice has progressed in this months. I'm just surprised. The plugin looks too good. Congrats Rice!

PS: Question: Is it possible to add an option in the plugin to set 2xSaI only to a limited num of textures?. Games that have menues with a lot of sprites slow down a lot (when showing that menus), when any type of scaling is used.

Last edited:

ingonab

:1964: + Rice's Daedalus 4.6.0

Some feedback:

There's what appears to be an API initialization problem, obvious in "Puyo Puyo Sun 64", in both 4.5.0 and 4.6.0. The intro animation of the ray shooting the sun draws properly or not depending on which ROM was run previously.

"Super Robot Taisen 64" starts with the Bandai logo followed by other credits falling into a blue starfield simulated background. This works correctly in 4.5.0 if "Normal Combiner" is checked. The same does not work with 4.6.0. --The screen remains black the same way as if "Normal Combiner" is not checked in 4.5.0. OpenGL mode for both. DirectX: Higher End Video Card for both plugin versions work partially. --The background starfield sim is missing and the falling logo and text are overly dark. (Bad hardware smoothing? Same thing happens with Jabo's Direct3D 1.4&1.5.)

[Note: Using "Normal Combiner" with 4.5.0 is not a definitive solution as it causes problems elsewhere in the game.]

Textures in "GoldenEye 007" intro are all skewed in 4.6.0.

There seems to be an floating point accuracy bug with 2xSal, in both version (but a little improved in 4.6.0?). 2xSal enhancements tend to create anomalies to textures in a horizontal weaving pattern.

The use of "half checks" (Grey checks in light grey checkboxes) in the "Setting Of Current Game" to indicate "using default option" was a little hard to figure out and possibly unintuitive to most.

Specs:
P4 / GeForce Ti200 (Det 43.35) / WindowsXP SP1 / 1964 0.8.5

Plisco

Sevillian
Mario Golf. Specs are below. Background stays black but when you move the character everything is fine until the error shows up:

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Plisco said:
Mario Golf. Specs are below. Background stays black but when you move the character everything is fine until the error shows up:

Such problems are frame buffer related. Frame buffer features are screwed in the current release, I hope I can fix them soon.

Similar frame buffer problems:

- Banjo pause screen, puzzle pictures
- Zelda pause screen
- Mario tennis
- Mario gold
- Paper Mario flashing
- Dr. Mario
- Mario Kart, the TV
- And many other games.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Re: Unexpected game almost show intro

NeTo said:
PS: Question: Is it possible to add an option in the plugin to set 2xSaI only to a limited num of textures?. Games that have menues with a lot of sprites slow down a lot (when showing that menus), when any type of scaling is used.

There is an option. After you choosing 2xSai, in the option below it you can select "For textRect only".

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
ingonab said:
:1964: + Rice's Daedalus 4.6.0

Some feedback:

There's what appears to be an API initialization problem, obvious in "Puyo Puyo Sun 64", in both 4.5.0 and 4.6.0. The intro animation of the ray shooting the sun draws properly or not depending on which ROM was run previously.

"Super Robot Taisen 64" starts with the Bandai logo followed by other credits falling into a blue starfield simulated background. This works correctly in 4.5.0 if "Normal Combiner" is checked. The same does not work with 4.6.0. --The screen remains black the same way as if "Normal Combiner" is not checked in 4.5.0. OpenGL mode for both. DirectX: Higher End Video Card for both plugin versions work partially. --The background starfield sim is missing and the falling logo and text are overly dark. (Bad hardware smoothing? Same thing happens with Jabo's Direct3D 1.4&1.5.)

[Note: Using "Normal Combiner" with 4.5.0 is not a definitive solution as it causes problems elsewhere in the game.]

Textures in "GoldenEye 007" intro are all skewed in 4.6.0.

There seems to be an floating point accuracy bug with 2xSal, in both version (but a little improved in 4.6.0?). 2xSal enhancements tend to create anomalies to textures in a horizontal weaving pattern.

I don't have many Japanese games, if you have them, please test more of them and report the problems. I know many Japanese games were ported from 2D games, and they are using their own way for 2D texture rendering, and this causes problems.

The problem of GE is known, should be fixed in the next release.

You are right, 2xSai tends to create in a horizontal weaving pattern. You can enhance it by applying 2xSai smooth filter (in the drop down menu below). 2xSai is just a texture enhancement filter, not too much I can do with it. The algorithm is from other author.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Rice said:

I don't have many Japanese games, if you have them, please test more of them and report the problems. I know many Japanese games were ported from 2D games, and they are using their own way for 2D texture rendering, and this causes problems.

You are right, 2xSai tends to create in a horizontal weaving pattern. You can enhance it by applying 2xSai smooth filter (in the drop down menu below). 2xSai is just a texture enhancement filter, not too much I can do with it. The algorithm is from other author.

Rice, don't you know about this problem already?
GoldenEye 007 is supposed to have a sky.
GoldenEye 007 has a black sky. The sky is missing!
Can you please check this problem out and have it fixed
in the next release?

Remote

RJARRRPCGP said:
Rice, don't you know about this problem already?
GoldenEye 007 is supposed to have a sky.
GoldenEye 007 has a black sky. The sky is missing!
Can you please check this problem out and have it fixed
in the next release?

Rice said:

Hmm, GE aka Golden Eye aka Golden Eye 007.... :happy:

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Re: Re: Unexpected game almost show intro

Rice said:
There is an option. After you choosing 2xSai, in the option below it you can select "For textRect only".

Sorry I didn't explain it correcty, but for example the paper mario or the zeldas pause menus have a lot of sprites, so fps go down until the menu is closed (at least that happens on my system). Since those menus are made of a lot of small sprites, options like 'small texturs only' don't cange the situation.

zorbid

A small feature request:
Rice, could you try to fix the text in the pal version of Mario 64? It's correct in the official Deadalus plugin, but it's broken since your first release.

AFAIK, the official Deadalus plugin is the only one to display the text as it should be, but it has some other annoying although not critical bugs.

Whatever you do with this request, I want to thank for the time and efforts you put into N64 emulation :).

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
I've played Mystical Ninja almost the whole way through so far... and the only problem I've really noticed (with speed) is the second time you use Impact (the giant robot).. when fighting Thaisamba II (I think that's it's name) it progressively gets slower and slower.. till it's almost not going at all... but luckily you go under water for the second half of the fight and then the speed goes back up... so it's not that big of a deal... just thought I'd inform...

leizar

I can't attach any snapshot or tell you any detail because i'm noy using my computer (it's dead!:cry: ), but I met some problem while trying to play some Europian game.
FIFA 98 gives an error before the main menu appears
Command & Conquer gives an error before showing the battle screen.
Moreover almost every european version has a wrong resolution (for example Tony Hawk's Pro skater2 is displaied only in the higher half of the screen), but they work fine with Jabo's plugin.
I know I can change the resolution manually changing it in the "Project64.rdb" file, but the one written there is already correct.

PS I've tried the US verion of THPS2 and it works fine so it is only a PAL verion problem

Twomp

Master dragon
Strange mouse cursor

Almost every time I start a game using Rice Daedalus 4.6 in DirectX Mode my mouse cursor become a yellow rect.
I'm using PJ64 version 1.5 beta 1 on Windows Me.
My system specs:
Athlon XP 1700+
Elsa Gladiac 511 (a GEForce 2 mx 400) without detonator (give me glitch in some games)
Ram 256 MB ddr
Screen resolution 800*600 @32bit

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Re: Strange mouse cursor

Twomp said:
Almost every time I start a game using Rice Daedalus 4.6 in DirectX Mode my mouse cursor become a yellow rect.
I'm using PJ64 version 1.5 beta 1 on Windows Me.
My system specs:
Athlon XP 1700+
Elsa Gladiac 511 (a GEForce 2 mx 400) without detonator (give me glitch in some games)
Ram 256 MB ddr
Screen resolution 800*600 @32bit

You cannot you use a GeForce video card under Windows ME
without Detonators, because Windows versions pre
Windows XP don't include built in support for GeForces.

Only Windows XP+ can use Nvidia video cards without
the Detonator drivers.

Twomp

Master dragon
Re: Re: Strange mouse cursor

RJARRRPCGP said:
You cannot you use a GeForce video card under Windows ME
without Detonators, because Windows versions pre
Windows XP don't include built in support for GeForces.

Only Windows XP+ can use Nvidia video cards without
the Detonator drivers.

I'm using the official Elsa driver for this Videocard instead of the NVidia's one because the detonator give me POINTER problem in Age of Mithology:satisfied

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
I can bet those elsa drivers are just modified detonators. the prob is that you may have to try different versions of detonators, to see if someone fits you well. And there are tons of versions out there...

Edit: Yep, you are using detonators, only that elsa changed just the name. That easy to conclude looking at this page: http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/61/61619.htm
There appears the list of files, wich is similar to any detonator driver you may download.

Last edited:

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Paper MArio problems

I have been playing Paper Mario, as I usually do, and found the following:

The room showed in this image should be dark (so dark that you shouldn't see the enemies):