What's new

Rice Video 5.5.1 WIP

otomo

-->Shibo/Hactarux RSP/Azimer combo (the best advice/sound I've heard for all games!)

where do I get that???

sir_key

Banned
CLSugarman said:
back in 99, first GPU card ever made, callled a GeForce 256. Rice's plug-in seems to favor NVidia gfx cards that based are on the GeForce series starting with GeForce 256 and later. I have 2 Radeon cards, 9200, and 9700 and the plug-in doesn't seem to like them much. Does Rice know about this bug? Because I don't think any other video plug-in displays Zelda:MM as nicely as Rice's, but the notebook is pretty vital to beating the game, at least completing it 100%.
in fact he even got a radeon to fix these problems... afaik ... i got a radeon 9700 pro and i had a lot of problems with rice's plugins since 5.2.0 (i think) ... now it works pretty fine with the pixel shader thingy...

GE Master

Still some texture problems with GoldenEye and the multiplayer character select screen.

Also nobody has replied to my inquiry about the performance of GoldenEye multiplayer and the slight hesitation in the framerate when you switch weapons. Can someone verify that it isn't my settings? It's an issue that does affect playability. Rice you really should look into that if possible simply because that's the ONLY outstanding issue that I can find. It's the best plugin made now but I still can't fully play multiplayer yet because of the drop in framerate when switching weapons. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
GE Master said:
Still some texture problems with GoldenEye and the multiplayer character select screen.

Also nobody has replied to my inquiry about the performance of GoldenEye multiplayer and the slight hesitation in the framerate when you switch weapons. Can someone verify that it isn't my settings? It's an issue that does affect playability. Rice you really should look into that if possible simply because that's the ONLY outstanding issue that I can find. It's the best plugin made now but I still can't fully play multiplayer yet because of the drop in framerate when switching weapons. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

GE requires a lot of processor power..... i played on barton 2800+ with GF5200 perfectly, but uses 70% (!!!!!) of CPU....... i play at 40Vi/s on my Northwood 1.6....... single player results...... not tested yet the multiplayer...

Floflo81

The best Zelda fan
I post a reply in this thread because I have a BIG problem with Rice's plugin 5.5.1. Eveytime I start a game in fullscreen mode, I have some kind of flickering : each frame is displayed but before displaying the next, there's a black screen during the duration of a frame so black screen-game screen alternate 60 times per second (or 50 with PAL games) ! (I don't know if I explained correctly : I'm French) This is fixed when I switch to Windowed mode (but I'd like to have it working in fullscreen) or when I use "Copy" in "Swap effect" but then all the games have a slowdown that automatically turns on frame skipping (even if I don't enable it in the settings) and it's no good. This is with every game I tried.
After that, I have a problem with framebuffer effects in Perfect Dark (Camspy, Night Vision), they don't display at all ! But maybe I just have to use different settings.
Here are some pictures to show my settings and to show the problem with Perfect Dark.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Rice, did u still read this thread?

Same fullscreen flickering 4 me, since 5.2.0!
I can't switch 2 fullscreen, I only have 2 play in windowed mode...
My specs are in my sig.

Another question: is the source of 5.51 available?
I like it to look into the source because i like the progress rice had done since Rice Deadalus --> Rice Video and want 2 know how he did this...

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Sry!
Didn't see this one...
Have 2 open my eyes if I'm looking 4 such things the next time...

But one good point my fault had:
If there were more blind ones like me and Floflo81they will have a solution 4 their prob... :stupid:

BTW: Great Plugin it's better and better from release 2 release. (that's shuold b, but u know what I mean...)
I like it to see some plugins still in developpment and produce always better GFX.
Keep that great work, u, orkin and gonetz r the greatest ones! :party:

deathtok

new 5.5.1 problem

Hey Rice,

I want to thank you for a great plugin overall and let you know about a bug I found in your last update 5.5.1 WIP. Just so you know, I'm not complaining, just informing. This bug did not happen for me in any older versions including 5.5.0b2. During Super Mario 64 it seems that I get images left over, I'm not sure what you call it. Hopefully the picture here explains it all. These images stay here both in window and fullscreen.

-dan

Last edited:

Clements

deathtok said:
Hey Rice,

I want to thank you for a great plugin overall and let you know about a bug I found in your last update 5.5.1 WIP. Just so you know, I'm not complaining, just informing. This bug did not happen for me in any older versions including 5.5.0b2. During Super Mario 64 it seems that I get images left over, I'm not sure what you call it. Hopefully the picture here explains it all. These images stay here both in window and fullscreen.

-dan

I get exactly the same annoying problem with Rice's Video + SM64 (maybe other games that have small borders top and bottom?)

Clements

Figured it out - you must disable the Normal Blender to prevent it from happening. I had it enabled since another game requires it.

deathtok

thanks

thanks Clements, i'll check that out when i go home. that's still a strange one though IMO because I swap between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 and the settings are the same but the problem does not appear in the older plugin.

dataangel

Paper Mario problems

I'm getting new problems in paper mario. With 5.2.2, there's no flickering when you meet Merlon in windowed mode (dunno for full screen, doesn't work on my radeon). In 5.5.1, there's enough flickering to give me a seizure ;)

Also, going from full screen back to windowed mode in paper mario causes the video to freeze. You can see part of what was there when it was full screen, but it's frozen. The only reason I know the game is still responding is that if I hit buttons I can hear mario moving around. If I try to stop the emulation and then start it again I just get a black screen -- 1964 has to be restarted in order for it to work.

Still great work BTW :) Jabo's plugin made part of Paper Mario especially seizuretastic and this has toned it down quite a bit.

Also, I don't know if you're trying to go with full video compatibility with this plugin, but if you are, you should definitely test with Paper Mario. It also exhibits a bunch of other small visual anomolies, like when you pickup items I see those rainbow bands again like there's supposed to be some kind of frame buffer effect.

Running a radeon 9700 pro in case for some reason these problems are specific to my comp.

Last edited: