What's new

Project64 site redesign

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
ANYHOW

this is a thread for the SITE, not the icon of the application

so can we get back on track for god sake.

Tho the icon does count for the site .. cause I will use the 16x16 icon as the icon for the site. In firefox the icon appears next to the title of the tab

Iconoclast

Yes, yet another tiny 'reason'. Muster up all the tidbits you can; they won't make a difference here. Just because another 16x16 icon is necessary has nothing to do with why the icons should match.
im not criticising the god damn image you mutt.

im stating fact, that recognisability is a better attibute for an icon, then a pretty graphic.

the fact is, people would be looking through the PJ64 folder for the icon (after looking at the websites banner) and thinking... 'what the fuck do i click.'

remembering that there are multiple Project64. files
So? If there's one file with an icon saying PJ64, what do they click right away when looking for Project64.exe? If there's a file with an icon of highcog's controller icon, well, what's the only file in the Project64 folder that has an icon? Even if there were other program icons in the folder as well, the controller should make it just as easy if not easier to locate Project64.exe. Remember that it is an N64 controller. It should look more recognizing of the program's description than the text PJ64, only telling us the even more obvious name of the emulator, not the console it emulates. Just because Project64's current icon is the PJ64 text doesn't mean that the next icon should have PJ64 in it or else nobody will find the exe file if highcog's icon is applied. The file should be almost as immediately located and just as immediately from then on after memorizing the new icon.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Yes, yet another tiny 'reason'. Muster up all the tidbits you can; they won't make a difference here. Just because another 16x16 icon is necessary has nothing to do with why the icons should match.So? If there's one file with an icon saying PJ64, what do they click right away when looking for Project64.exe? If there's a file with an icon of highcog's controller icon, well, what's the only file in the Project64 folder that has an icon? Even if there were other program icons in the folder as well, the controller should make it just as easy if not easier to locate Project64.exe. Remember that it is an N64 controller. It should look more recognizing of the program's description than the text PJ64, only telling us the even more obvious name of the emulator, not the console it emulates. Just because Project64's current icon is the PJ64 text doesn't mean that the next icon should have PJ64 in it or else nobody will find the exe file if highcog's icon is applied. The file should be almost as immediately located and just as immediately from then on after memorizing the new icon.

*yawns* boring.

A.I.

Banned
Yes, yet another tiny 'reason'. Muster up all the tidbits you can; they won't make a difference here. Just because another 16x16 icon is necessary has nothing to do with why the icons should match.So? If there's one file with an icon saying PJ64, what do they click right away when looking for Project64.exe? If there's a file with an icon of highcog's controller icon, well, what's the only file in the Project64 folder that has an icon? Even if there were other program icons in the folder as well, the controller should make it just as easy if not easier to locate Project64.exe. Remember that it is an N64 controller. It should look more recognizing of the program's description than the text PJ64, only telling us the even more obvious name of the emulator, not the console it emulates. Just because Project64's current icon is the PJ64 text doesn't mean that the next icon should have PJ64 in it or else nobody will find the exe file if highcog's icon is applied. The file should be almost as immediately located and just as immediately from then on after memorizing the new icon.

Funny, but when I first played PJ64 I got so confused, like I was thinking where's the controller icon? You need a controller to play it right? Like a virtual controller? I'm sure 99% of people were thinking the same thing. Where's the damn controller? We can't play using a Pj64.exe. Nothing to grip your little fingies with. Virtual fingies that is... Not even a joystick to point you in the right direction! Dear God! It's a wonder anyone actually found PJ64 to play in the first place! *heavy sarcasim*

Your my hero, icopopiscle.:icecream:

Iconoclast

Funny, but when I first played PJ64 I got so confused, like I was thinking where's the controller icon? You need a controller to play it right? Like a virtual controller? I'm sure 99% of people were thinking the same thing. Where's the damn controller? We can't play using a Pj64.exe. Nothing to grip your little fingies with. Virtual fingies that is... Not even a joystick to point you in the right direction! Dear God! It's a wonder anyone actually found PJ64 to play in the first place! *heavy sarcasim*
Your my hero, icopopiscle.:icecream:
...Now you're just trying to get my goat. I didn't know it sucked that badly to lose at such a simple debate. :p

Fact is, the controller is more appropriate, as the gaming device used as the program icon for an emulator is much more symbolic of a 'gaming' theme of the emulator. The logo of the console that looks like PJ64, the abbreviation of "Project64", at the same time just isn't as symbolic, but would make an excellent website banner. I mean, one, you don't use the console's logo as your emulator's icon, and, two, even when viewed as PJ64; the image of the controller actually gives a more graphical representation of Project64 as a gaming software than some 3-dimensional text....

\:D/

A.I.

Banned
Fact is, the controller is more appropriate, as the gaming device used as the program icon for an emulator is much more symbolic of a 'gaming' theme of the emulator. The logo of the console that looks like PJ64, the abbreviation of "Project64", at the same time just isn't as symbolic, but would make an excellent website banner. I mean, one, you don't use the console's logo as your emulator's icon, and, two, even when viewed as PJ64; the image of the controller actually gives a more graphical representation of Project64 as a gaming software than some 3-dimensional text....

Just keep on repeating yourself. I'm gonna make a cuppa... :yawn:

Funny, is there an echo somewhere? :satisfied

Iconoclast

Not fun to lose, is it? :p

At least for sore losers such as the both of you. squall puts up an attempted argument, though, instead of trolling people for a living as a way of winning a vote of which icon is better than the other. Now everyone here reading this thread knows you are a troll and that you are probably intentionally picking the worse icon as PJ64's exe icon just to anger highcog without flaming anyone.

As for results, you half-won, but the half you fought with me, if I may use your 'echo' to make things more clear:

:p:p
:p:p:p:p
:p:p:p
:p
YOU LOSE!!! HA!!​

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
lol, it doesn't matter, coz its not a vote... or didn't you realise that?

its zilmar and the crew that pick the images.. not a vote from us.. so us bitching about them won't matter in the least, coz its not our decision :p its theirs.

Iconoclast

What's that supposed to mean? That the Project64 team doesn't care about what we think to apply our suggestions? If the Project64 team doesn't care what we think about the path of Project64's development, then why would zilmar have started all of those poll updates on pj64.net? Why would Jabo respond to the plugin suggestions on pj64.net and even apply some of them? Why would Smiff take everyone's RDB corrections, save submissions and bug reports? Why would Gent want to reply to this thread saying "keep it up, gang?"

If they didn't care what we think the next PJ64 icon would be, I wouldn't bother putting up a fight against your opinions on highcog's image.

Fierce Deity

What's that supposed to mean? That the Project64 team doesn't care about what we think to apply our suggestions? If the Project64 team doesn't care what we think about the path of Project64's development, then why would zilmar have started all of those poll updates on pj64.net? Why would Jabo respond to the plugin suggestions on pj64.net and even apply some of them? Why would Smiff take everyone's RDB corrections, save submissions and bug reports? Why would Gent want to reply to this thread saying "keep it up, gang?"

If they didn't care what we think the next PJ64 icon would be, I wouldn't bother putting up a fight against your opinions on highcog's image.

I think he means, if the votes show 1st place for a super lame image, and second place for an awesome image, they'd go with second place because they aren't lame.

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I made a 16x16 and a 32x32 icon and added it to jahrains icons he made, since I find the image does not seem to work at those sizes. What do you think?

loopsider

Can we seriously extend the bottom part of the "J," it just kills it to look so skinny, it doesn't even look much like a J. It just looks like a banana.

:pj64:

Rapidgorgon

Yes, green, wait untill it's yellow to eat it. :p
But the P does seem to be lower than the J in the 3D view. But it's a start. 9/10 for recognisability on each size. :satisfied