What's new

Project64 site redesign

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
In my point of view, there are a couple things seemingly not right with that idea:
  1. It doesn't say anything unique about Project64 as a program. There are at least a dozen other N64 emulators, and at least until 1.7's release, it likely isn't ready to be called the best, so I don't think the website should be titled according to the role of the emulator software itself, as it is missing one area: the discussion of its development.
  2. A site's title is...the purpose of the site. Yes, the purpose of the site is Project64 and its native plugins and resource files, all a part of the emulator, but the site itself covers news and updates and polls. That's why, for purpose, I would say something more like "Project64 Development Site," or, "Project64 News and Discussion."

no, i said i hated the controller as an icon,.. and i i said otherwise, then its probably because i was thinking faster then i was typing, and missed words out.

a program should be made consistantly, hence, you should've have the site banner look like one thing.. and the programs icon another.

anyone who develops a program, or piece of software realises this.

djlarz

13 000 roms and growing...
highcog, your logos rock! I vote for the pj64 controller. It's so deilicious <3 :p

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Seconded. I like "Project64 Development Site"

Other even more simple/spartan ideas:

Project64 - Home
Project64 - Main

I just feel as though having any phrases like "the Nintendo64 emulator" or "play N64 games on your PC" (the first because it is too generic for so unique a program, and the second because I don't think you want to get Nintendo on your ass any more than they already do for emulator authors...even when you're legally in the right, a statement like that can attract the wrong kind of corp. attention...)

Here's a basic submission as an intro paragraph:

Project64
"Advanced software emulator of the Nintendo 64 video game console. PJ64 offers excellent game compatibility, near-flawless video and sound output, and many enhancements and additional features only possible through software emulation of the original hardware, including:

Higher video resolutions
Support for external high resolution texture packs
Save states
etc...

Emulation does not equal replication - but Project64 is as close as it gets to the real thing."

Don't forget this is just for the TITLE tag, so it what appears in the top of the browser. The main purpose of this is what people see if they get the site in a search result of google. The intro paragraph is more of the same really, it to make sure the keywords are there, that if they are searched then the results show some thing meaningful.

for example, search n64 emulation:
Google said:
Project64
I find what does not like to be in the same thread as the emulation, initialization of the graphics plug-in. WTF initialization of the gfx plugin in another ...
www.pj64.net/ - 26k - 5 Mar 2007 - Cached - Similar pages

This result does not really say anthing at all about pj64.

Iconoclast

no, i said i hated the controller as an icon,.. and i i said otherwise, then its probably because i was thinking faster then i was typing, and missed words out.

a program should be made consistantly, hence, you should've have the site banner look like one thing.. and the programs icon another.

anyone who develops a program, or piece of software realises this.
...Where in that post did I say anything about either of these icons?

Which is why Project64 shouldn't use the current pj64.net site's banner logo: They shouldn't need to use the same image.

A.I.

Banned
You can always choose which icon you want for your shortcut - that's not an issue.

The most important thing is selecting the right banner header with corresponding icon, even if it is different it better measure up or else people will laugh... :D

squall_leonhart

You can always choose which icon you want for your shortcut - that's not an issue.

The most important thing is selecting the right banner header with corresponding icon, even if it is different it better measure up or else people will laugh... :D

exactly... the controller icon doesn't even have recognisable colours....

ttytt AI.. i'd hate for Iconoclast to run a software company. it'd go broke coz know body would recognise the software

Iconoclast

I didn't say anything was an issue. What are you talking about....

You guys are way too picky on how clear the text looks. I'm done debating with pickiness...not going to change wishywashiness.

squall_leonhart

its not the frickin text! its the recognisability.

not all people can read the text you know!, they rely on the icon image to know what they are clicking

A.I.

Banned
Icococlast, since when did you copyright the word 'issue'? I wasn't even quoting you. Did you see your quote above my post?

Last edited:

Arkay

Don't forget this is just for the TITLE tag, so it what appears in the top of the browser. The main purpose of this is what people see if they get the site in a search result of google. The intro paragraph is more of the same really, it to make sure the keywords are there, that if they are searched then the results show some thing meaningful.

for example, search n64 emulation:

This result does not really say anthing at all about pj64.

I knew exactly what you meant when you said page title...

My point is, having two "64"s within such close proximity looks silly.

As your emulator's name is Project64, having:

"Project64 - The Nintendo 64 Emulator - Plays Nintendo 64 games!"

seems like obscene redundancy to me. But I'm just trying to provide a different POV.

highcog

What are you even talking about? And an icon that's a picture of a controller is very different from what I did.

highcog

Just figured I'd check to see if things died down yet. Glad to see everyone is as openminded and friendly as last time I checked in. I'm guessing you guys don't know what constructive criticism is, right?

I'm curious what zilmar likes for the logo or icon or whatever... I kinda think it'd be hilarious if he picked something other than the logo you guys are all in love with. :) Not even mine, but any other one. That would be some fun irony. :)

Anyways, I'm kinda sick of this clique-y bickering and kicks to my balls over the logo I spent time on directed at me from people who mostly didn't do anything to contribute aside from tearing apart others' work. Thanks to those who offered compliments, and constructive criticism.

I don't think I'll spend any more time on revising or improving the logo since it's absolutely pointless to post it - I'm definitely not getting much in the way of ideas on what could be changed to make it less of the abomination that it apparently is. Glad to see it's even been going on without me.

If it gets chosen for anything, I'll gladly revise or change it to the specs of the pj64 team if needed, but I'm sure some sort of boycott would ensue if that happened. :)

Anyways, I hope this isn't how those of you are over everything around here, cuz if so it sure won't take an 'inappropriate logo' to drive people away from here. Those of you can handle that job quite well.

Initially I was planning to be all in the spirit of things: post a logo, vest a personal interest by paying registration, revise according to user comments, and then hold my breath and see where I finished up. I had planned on getting all involved and was looking forward to some good-natured competition. Boy, that plan sure worked out. I'll spend my money on another adaptoid or retropad instead. I'm sure pj64 thanks you for driving off a potential registrant.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I knew exactly what you meant when you said page title...

My point is, having two "64"s within such close proximity looks silly.

As your emulator's name is Project64, having:

"Project64 - The Nintendo 64 Emulator - Plays Nintendo 64 games!"

seems like obscene redundancy to me. But I'm just trying to provide a different POV.

actually having "Nintendo 64" in twice is worthless .. the point was having "Nintendo 64" and "N64" in the title.

Arkay

actually having "Nintendo 64" in twice is worthless .. the point was having "Nintendo 64" and "N64" in the title.

Well, what you deserve as someone who's done all this work for free (donations aside) is for a ton of people to consistently flock to your site for the ad revenue.

In that light, I recommend you stick with your own idea, as "play N64 games on your Windows PC" would probably be far more attractive a hit on google.

Iconoclast

Yeah, here it is. Funny what a splash of a few colours can do. :)
That's just stupid...that doesn't look anything like the version highcog made at all.... So, now, you're pretending that it actually sucks so badly, you're accusing him of using this image and copyrighting it as to how he made his own? That's just low. It took him hours of work; it wasn't a 'few' splash of colors. Funny what a desperation to find nonexistant weaknesses can do. :(

It hasn't been done before, just rejected, but that was a whole different image.

squall_leonhart said:
its not the frickin text! its the recognisability.

not all people can read the text you know!, they rely on the icon image to know what they are clicking
You just contradicted yourself. Also, the text looks freakin' fine, already...you guys must really like that "PJ64" text as the current .exe icon, don't you? As for the statement in dark red I highlighted, then what happens if people can't read what'shisname's text?? The one with the "N" carved in seperation into a P and a J and then 64? What if people think it's just an N and then "64"?? I'm not lying when I say that that's what I thought it was for a couple days, while I recognized highcog's PJ64 text within a few minutes. At least, if people can't read it, they'll get the N64 controller image much more than the text "N64."

It's honestly like both of you guys are arguing about something you inwardly know isn't true. Yes, I know, highcog's image looks better, but that's no reason to criticize it, unless it's constructive criticism. Don't confuse 'con' with 'de'.

A.I. said:
Icococlast, since when did you copyright the word 'issue'? I wasn't even quoting you. Did you see your quote above my post?
I didn't see any quote at all. That's why, I assume you were writing to the author of the post directly above yours. Is this supposed to be an error on my part? You're supposed to quote the post you're replying to if it isn't directly above yours.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

im not criticising the god damn image you mutt.

im stating fact, that recognisability is a better attibute for an icon, then a pretty graphic.

the fact is, people would be looking through the PJ64 folder for the icon (after looking at the websites banner) and thinking... 'what the fuck do i click.'

remembering that there are multiple Project64. files