What's new

Project64 site redesign

A.I.

Banned
The problem with what you're saying is only the last two are actually icon sized, the other ones are way too big to be icons. The last two are not really any more legible at icon size..

More legible than that control thingy... The only reason why you think you can see the PJ64 is cos you know it's there. ;) And that, btw is my opinion, no flame intended. :)

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Can we just screw this whole complaint about readability? I mean, how many emulators out there, maybe give a ratio, have the name or abbreviation of their emulator name in their program icon? What matters is creativity, not the text used in it and how clear it is.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
exactly!, which is why Jah'rans image is better.

it might not be readable for some, but you'll recognise the PJ from the site logo.

highcog

Why am I catching so much shit for something I did for free because I liked the program? If I'd known this is what I was spending the time towards, I wouldn't have bothered.

I'm leaving it in the running for the final choice, since I'd feel like a douchebag to pull it out and be that kind of guy, but I only feel like slightly less of a douchebag leaving it in.

Rapidgorgon

As Project 64 v1.7 may be nearing perfection (seen the effort that went into it and the beta program), I don't really think we should go too easy on the logo. Readability/recognition should be good on each scale, from 16x16 al the way to 128x128 and bigger. When wanted, you could add details on the bigger sizes or remove the glass/plastic look or 3D effects on smaller icons. Otherwise it could look a bit cheap. And we don't want that, now do we?

Furthermore, any comments on the adjustments I made on my logo?

Last edited:

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
Furthermore, any comments on the adjustments I made on my logo?

Change the colours to a more PJ64ish style. Other than that, I can't think of anything else you could do to better it.

If you're looking for perfection in a logo, either Jahra!n's or Highcog's logo would(to be coarse) be the only ones to make the cut. Jahra!in's has quality but Highcog's has imagination.

Most would probably choose quality over a good design though. Of course, a good design is easy to improve on to make the quality better. In the end, it's up to the developers to choose which one they prefer.

loopsider

I have to say, though, the "PJ" logo can use a bit of perfecting itself. The angle of the "PJ" makes it look kinda strange because the "64" does not appear that angled, so it looks like both are connected at an obtuse angle.
It could just use a revamp, I like the color and jagged look, except for the "J."

Just a constructive design thought.

Iconoclast

Why am I catching so much shit for something I did for free because I liked the program? If I'd known this is what I was spending the time towards, I wouldn't have bothered.

I'm leaving it in the running for the final choice, since I'd feel like a douchebag to pull it out and be that kind of guy, but I only feel like slightly less of a douchebag leaving it in.
Don't blame your hard work over everyone else's eyesight.

It's up to the majority of pj64 users, not us. If they all think using the same thing as the website logo as pj64's icon instead of having a little variety and not having "N64", probably the most basic thing possible, to have in your icon image, then that's what the team wants to put in it to make everyone happy. Same thing with a black pixel....

gandalf

Member ready to help
they look great, but they look just an "intro", or a welcome screen IMHO

maybe for background in pj64 rom menu :p

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Please keep comments about peoples work positive, and if you want to criticize then do it as suggestions on how to improve it. Please try to not to disrespect someone’s work, just because you like someone else’s work more.

Do people think I should have an intro paragraph about pj64.net above the blog/news and any suggestion for the page title on the index page?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Please keep comments about peoples work positive, and if you want to criticize then do it as suggestions on how to improve it. Please try to not to disrespect someone’s work, just because you like someone else’s work more.

Do people think I should have an intro paragraph about pj64.net above the blog/news and any suggestion for the page title on the index page?

its not that i dislike the whole controller icon idea... its that i prefer recognisability... having the site banner one image.. and the icon looking totally differen't doesn't really work out well...

smcd

An intro page might be nice. If not on top of the blog/news maybe store a cookie as to if it's been viewed or not. Show it once and then in the future not display it but have a link to it? That way people get exposed to it at least once but it isn't "forced" on them every time (unless of course they've disabled or cleared their cookies).

Arkay

The idea of a paragraph I'm neutral on. I guess the most logical content would be a description of the emulator, but frankly 95% of site visitors likely know why they are here. A history of the emulator would be more interesting in my mind, but then again, that is likely because I am more fascinated by how complicated the development of some of the great emulators have been (and surprised that they have overcome those bumps in the road to be where they are).

And as for a page title, "Project 64" is fine. Sure, it looks short, but I have yet to see an emulator tagline that really did anything for me.

Examples of why a tag line or anything in addition to what is already there feels unnecessary to me:

"Project 64 - The N64 emulator"
"Project 64 - Nintendo 64 Emulator"

Not only visually redundant (because Nintendo had to use a name as generic as Nintendo 64), but hardly informative as well. I think just "Project 64" keeps a little bit of simplicity and mystery surrounding it all.

My 2 cents.

Iconoclast

For the website/page title, "Project64 Development" should be fine. Though there are things like downloads, user support, etc., the site's main purpose is improving the emulator, I think we can all agree. It would be difficult to make a title summarizing all of the purposes.

For an intro paragraph, I'm thinking not. Since the site's main purpose is development, you want to focus on the news and updates you see right away when you go to the site, but I do think there should be a fairly conspicuous link that links to a page containing the information about the site and the emulator.

The only instance of disrespecting work in this conversation I saw was when squall said he hated the controller image. Yes, I criticized jahrah's work, but only under use as the application icon; I agree with it as the website header. I didn't exactly disrespect the image itself, although I did somewhat for the opinions in this thread.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
The idea of a paragraph I'm neutral on. I guess the most logical content would be a description of the emulator, but frankly 95% of site visitors likely know why they are here. A history of the emulator would be more interesting in my mind, but then again, that is likely because I am more fascinated by how complicated the development of some of the great emulators have been (and surprised that they have overcome those bumps in the road to be where they are).

Yer, I was thinking of an intro, more for google picking up the page .. tho I have not really thought of anything good.

And as for a page title, "Project 64" is fine. Sure, it looks short, but I have yet to see an emulator tagline that really did anything for me.

Examples of why a tag line or anything in addition to what is already there feels unnecessary to me:

"Project 64 - The N64 emulator"
"Project 64 - Nintendo 64 Emulator"

Not only visually redundant (because Nintendo had to use a name as generic as Nintendo 64), but hardly informative as well. I think just "Project 64" keeps a little bit of simplicity and mystery surrounding it all.

My 2 cents.

how about:
"Project 64 - Nintendo 64 Emulator - Play N64 games on your PC"

Iconoclast

how about:
"Project 64 - Nintendo 64 Emulator - Play N64 games on your PC"
In my point of view, there are a couple things seemingly not right with that idea:
  1. It doesn't say anything unique about Project64 as a program. There are at least a dozen other N64 emulators, and at least until 1.7's release, it likely isn't ready to be called the best, so I don't think the website should be titled according to the role of the emulator software itself, as it is missing one area: the discussion of its development.
  2. A site's title is...the purpose of the site. Yes, the purpose of the site is Project64 and its native plugins and resource files, all a part of the emulator, but the site itself covers news and updates and polls. That's why, for purpose, I would say something more like "Project64 Development Site," or, "Project64 News and Discussion."

Arkay

In my point of view, there are a couple things seemingly not right with that idea:
  1. It doesn't say anything unique about Project64 as a program. There are at least a dozen other N64 emulators, and at least until 1.7's release, it likely isn't ready to be called the best, so I don't think the website should be titled according to the role of the emulator software itself, as it is missing one area: the discussion of its development.
  2. A site's title is...the purpose of the site. Yes, the purpose of the site is Project64 and its native plugins and resource files, all a part of the emulator, but the site itself covers news and updates and polls. That's why, for purpose, I would say something more like "Project64 Development Site," or, "Project64 News and Discussion."

Seconded. I like "Project64 Development Site"

Other even more simple/spartan ideas:

Project64 - Home
Project64 - Main

I just feel as though having any phrases like "the Nintendo64 emulator" or "play N64 games on your PC" (the first because it is too generic for so unique a program, and the second because I don't think you want to get Nintendo on your ass any more than they already do for emulator authors...even when you're legally in the right, a statement like that can attract the wrong kind of corp. attention...)

Here's a basic submission as an intro paragraph:

Project64
"Advanced software emulator of the Nintendo 64 video game console. PJ64 offers excellent game compatibility, near-flawless video and sound output, and many enhancements and additional features only possible through software emulation of the original hardware, including:

Higher video resolutions
Support for external high resolution texture packs
Save states
etc...

Emulation does not equal replication - but Project64 is as close as it gets to the real thing."