What's new

N64 Glide Plugin. part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slougi

Dave2001 said:

You know what, you have a really good point there. Maybe these objects are not really even supposed to be shown at all, rather used as a z-compare tool.
I think so too, imo the 2d picture of the temple of time would go over these objects.

Dave2001

Very odd.. the ground doesn't show in some places, like here on Death Mountain Trail. Also, it doesn't look like the object's even there, I use my debugger, and there is only the sky background and the fillrects behind.

Dave2001

ah, looks like there are lots of unhandled branch_z instructions there. This makes sense since it is such a large area. I'll implement it now.

Remote

Also off topic but you are one hell of a problem solver, it didn't take long for you to correct that. :D After seing this it's is final, I am getting a Voodoo card, a cheap one although.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
There, that fixed this and also the problem with the well. :satisfied

Steady Progress there..
Now if only I weren't so darned lazy myself ;)
Cyb

Dave2001

I've heard incredible speed stories about Glide64. If only it worked so well on my computer... it's kinda sad that my own plugin hates me. Nobody else has trouble switching windows, etc., yet the DEVELOPER's computer crashes on every possible type of error. (hehe, every time I have an illegal operation I have to restart my computer) :cry:

Dave2001

Hmm, anyone who's ever emulated the lens of truth, tell me if I am correct:

The lens of truth is a texrect, drawn BEFORE the objects it reveals. It updates the z-value at some parts, and then the objects will be revealed in the areas where the z-buffer was not updated, and hidden in the areas that were.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and I don't exactly know why it updates in only some areas, this is just my theory. Someone please tell me if I am correct.

Remote

As far as I know Jabo is the only one who has emulated the Lens of Truth and as always, Keep talking to yourself and hopefully the solution will reveal itself for you. :D You are progressing in a furious pace, how many hours do you spend per week on Glide64 and which VooDoo card are you using?

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
I've heard incredible speed stories about Glide64. If only it worked so well on my computer... it's kinda sad that my own plugin hates me. Nobody else has trouble switching windows, etc., yet the DEVELOPER's computer crashes on every possible type of error. (hehe, every time I have an illegal operation I have to restart my computer) :cry:

If you have the right version of VC++ you should be able to use the remote debugging feature. This will allow you too use two computers to debug the plugin. Granted it's not the BEST method but this way you don't have to swap screens or use a lot of memory on the computer that's running the plugin.

Of course you need to have the two computers networked (details). I was planing on using that for debugging my PSX GPU but I only have VC++ 5.0 which doesn't support that feature (wee). Anyhow might be worth a try. Unless you don't have a spare machine then it might be a problem ;)

Cyb

Dave2001

And I couldn't even start to guess how many hours I work on it, I keep no count whatsoever. I work from the moment I get home from school or get up, to the moment I go to bed, and that's when I decide to start my homework :p I basically work every moment I'm not doing homework or eating, etc.

I work all I can on the plugin, it's the only project I'm working on, and I don't play games often (except n64 of course :p)

Dave2001

Well, I'm connected to my brother through a LAN, but I'm not sure how to do that kind of debugging in VC++ 6.0 (if possible even)

Dave2001

great... I've got the lens of truth working backwards now. The doorways disappear when they are in the outside of the circle.

... but now I realize that this is what would happen, the outside of the circle has alpha, so the z-buffer does not allow the doorway to draw. I can't figure out what would make the center of the circle do it...

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
great... I've got the lens of truth working backwards now. The doorways disappear when they are in the outside of the circle.

... but now I realize that this is what would happen, the outside of the circle has alpha, so the z-buffer does not allow the doorway to draw. I can't figure out what would make the center of the circle do it...

Check for mode settings that you haven't implemented before this namely anything that changes how the alpha works.

That's my suggestion.
It sounds too me whatever it's doing reverses how the alpha field is defined.. IE outside etc. for the lense affect

Status
Not open for further replies.