What's new

N64 Glide Plugin. part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesman00

What's that...?
Originally Posted by (NL)Falcon4ever
Do I smell piracy.....?

i don't think so, i think he was just sayin that if dave was goin to buy vc++7 that we would donate money for it

Dave2001

No, I still have VC++ 6.0. I'd love to get Visual Studio .net, but I definately don't have enough money to pay for it. The prices are: Professional: $1079 US, Enterprise Developer: $1799, and Enterprise Architect: $2499. Which version do you think I should get ;)? Yes, I do have VC++ 6.0, but I got that from Kazzaa :blush: , so if I get something I want the full thing. I did have VC++ 5.0 before that, but I got that from my dad's work, so I don't even have the full cd (waaaay long time ago). With VC++ 6.0 I don't even have the help files right now because I don't have the MSDN cd that comes with it.

Anyway, maybe I could set up a PayPal account to receive donations? How many would donate?

Dave2001

Or wait... I just did some research, and I found that Visual C++ .NET Standard is only $109. Is there a disadvantage to have the standard edition over the professional edition? (I remember in one type of edition it always says "This program was created using...")

Maybe this is the better option since I never use the other components anyway. Anyway, someone who has it, what do you think?

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Well there are the anoying screens of stuff like that.
If you ever get a project though that requires that you have components that need to be included, you will have registration problems when you distribute your applications. Unless of course you create all your own components (sounds like fun to me :p).

Unfortunately BC6.0 is pretty nice but you have to deal with MS's 'blockaid' technique with Borland. Meaning? well In order to handle DX8 etc from BC you have to have a wraper DLL that does all the calls. PITA! That's why borland supports GL more than DX namely MS has no influence over how the DLL is morphed to shut out Borland ;)

Back to the point, if all you are doing is buying it to create DLL's for plugins, no problem, maybe, you'll have to check if it will allow you to distribute your DLL if you get the Standard Edition (MS is such a pain.)

Cyb

Dave2001

btw, what I mean by components are the other programs like J++ and whatever else comes with visual studio

Reznor007

You can get VisualC++ 6.0 standard for $50 US. It inlcudes the main CD, library CD, service pack CD...and maybe more, I forget exactly what else came with mine...

It doesn't give any messages about the standard edition or anything(that's the academic edition or something).

The other things(J++, Visual BASIC, etc.) are separate products unless you buy the full Visual Studio set.

MrTangix

To Be Continued...
VisualStudio.net

I currently have :

4 yellow CDs labeled "VisualStudio.net Academic"
1 silver CD labeled "VisualStudio.net Academic - Student Tools"
1 silver CD labeled "VisualStudio.net Professional - Microsoft Windows Component Update"

If any of this can help you and you'd consider paying for shipping and handling, I can send them to you. They are all legal/unburned and version 2002. Just reply if you want them and congratulations on the leaps and bounds your making with this project. Can't wait to try out the newest version with 1964.. :1964:

MrTangix

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
I am finally on Spring break and no longer sick. I have made some updates to the Glide64 page. Tell me what you think.

Dave2001

Hehe, cool! I like the fact that the sections are now seperated.

Sorry I wasn't online to talk to you earlier.

I think it would be a good idea though to seperate the page into frames so that when something in the border has to be updated, the border doesn't need to be changed in _every_ _single_ _file_. However, this is your choice since you are handling the border stuff anyway. I only had to edit it once and it was just a broken link.

Also, I think you should take out the "Topic: update" stuff because the topic should always be update :)

What I need added:
* "Source" section, so it doesn't have to be on the "Download" section, and so I can add extra debugging information (yes, now the debugger is included and there is a logging checkbox)

I'm also wondering, would you use an external program to edit the news section, or are you just typing the code b/c it looks like some kind of posting program? (are you using an html editor in the first place or just typing?)

I hate writing html :p

[edit] hmm, what's the archive section supposed to hold, old news or old versions? ???

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
mesman00 said:

i don't think so, i think he was just sayin that if dave was goin to buy vc++7 that we would donate money for it

That's exactly what I meant.

Dave2001 said:
No, I still have VC++ 6.0. I'd love to get Visual Studio .net, but I definately don't have enough money to pay for it. The prices are: Professional: $1079 US, Enterprise Developer: $1799, and Enterprise Architect: $2499. Which version do you think I should get ;)?

WTF?!?! My CompUSA ad says $500 for VStudio.net Pro. Maybe that's the upgrade edition?

I dunno about the difference between standard and pro. I only know that Pro is more expensive, and most open-source projects I've seen that use VC++ say they only work with Pro or higher. For example, zSNESW won't compile with standard.

gokuss4

Meh...
Dave2001 said:
[edit] hmm, what's the archive section supposed to hold, old news or old versions? ???

Dave i right html i love it so :p.

but anyway archives section if you want can hold both like this...

either "News Archives" or "Archive Downs (or Downloads)" or "previous versions"

Dave2001

WTF?!?! My CompUSA ad says $500 for VStudio.net Pro. Maybe that's the upgrade edition?

Yeah, the upgrade version is $549. Then again, maybe microsoft just charges extra. Maybe the full thing would be a lot cheaper from a store (if it's even available in stores).

I dunno about the difference between standard and pro. I only know that Pro is more expensive, and most open-source projects I've seen that use VC++ say they only work with Pro or higher. For example, zSNESW won't compile with standard.

If that's true, then the standard edition is definately not what I am looking for :(

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Why bother to change? You've got VC++ 6.0 just as I have, right? .NET is just ms's newnest update and they are always expensive. (Can't trust ms). I think just to stick with 6.0, it does fine doesn't it? It's just that I've got Enterprise........ hehehe :cool:

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
Ok, I will start working on making changes today. I always wanted to change it to frames but never had time. For editing, I use a combination of Frontpage 2002 and Dreamweaver 4. However, after it writes the code I remove unneeded tags and make things more neat.

P.S. Archive --> Old news (Monthly)

Dave2001

Yeah, I don't think anyone would donate anyway :p

lol, I just yesterday realized that zelda wasn't culling ANYTHING, it's been fixed now though.

Dave2001

Anyone know what causes this? This is the temple of time, but it also happens in certain views in houses, and the kokiri shop. It appears the combiner is wrong, I don't see T0 anywhere in it, only prim, shade, and env.

Reznor007

Dave2001 said:
Anyone know what causes this? This is the temple of time, but it also happens in certain views in houses, and the kokiri shop. It appears the combiner is wrong, I don't see T0 anywhere in it, only prim, shade, and env.

Not sure, but could it be related to how the game displays the main portion of those screens? The 2d background part that is.

MrTangix

To Be Continued...
Dave, don't mean to push, but do you want the CDs i mentioned or should i just give them away to someone else?

Dave2001

well the academic versions definately won't help me, and the component update won't either, so sorry, I don't need any of that stuff.

Dave2001

Not sure, but could it be related to how the game displays the main portion of those screens? The 2d background part that is.

You know what, you have a really good point there. Maybe these objects are not really even supposed to be shown at all, rather used as a z-compare tool. For example, take the top of Mount Doom. Why do you think only the top is there? To block out the ring of smoke. I'll have to investigate this further later, I'm working on a million other things at once now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.