What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

Rice

Emulator Developer
You should not use *_all.bmp, it has to be a *_all.png, and it has to be 32 bit.

The reason is that:

*_all is meant to have the alpha channel together with RGB channels.

BMP files only officially support 24 bit RGB, not 32 bit RGBA. (well, it could support 32bit RGBA, but this issue will raise other discussions)

PNG files officially support 32bit RGBA.

The plugin only supports 32bit RGBA with PNG file, not with BMP files.

I guess your files are 24bit.

Last edited:

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Hmm, Rice, I did it and it didn't work. Although, I tried Mario's enhanced text and it worked.. so, I think it's something I'm doing wrong. :\

Edit: SUCCESS. Check out the P2, P3 and P4 buttons on the following Conker image! :D

Last edited:

CaptainN

Using a pallet from one file to another - I don't know if this is the best way (I'm sure it isn't - there has to be a way to do it with channels) but it will work:

1. open a pallet image (like a gif or an 8-bit bmp - photoshop refers to pallet images at "indexed color" - you can see that under Image->Mode).
2. File->Save for Web...
3. In the Settings box change the type of image to gif or png-8
4. Above the Color Table boxes (you may have to click the "color table" tab) There is a little round arrow (it's round in Photoshop 7 and greater - I think it was square in older versions) that will open a menu. Open the menu.
5. Choose "Save Color Table" then you can cancel out of the Save for Web... dialog
6. Now create a new image (like a sky image) in regular RGB mode (true color), then when you have the image ready to save, choose File->Save for Web...
7. Choose gif or png-8 as the file format
8. Click that same round arrow, and choose "Load Color Table"
9. Above the image of your sky (or whatever) make sure you are on the "Optimized" tab, so you can see what it looks like with the old pallet.
10. play with the settings in the Settings box (except the number of colors, Web Snap and the pallet drop downs - lossy, dither, and the rest are ok to play with) until the image looks acceptable
11. Save the file as a gif or png-8.
12. Convert the file to a bmp using whatever method you prefer.

I hope that helps :)

If you want, you can try googling for some tutorials on working with "indexed color" images or channels/color pallets/Color Tables.

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
This is a really interesting project! :)
Here's a little texture enhanceent for Mario 64 I attempted. It may be a little grainy for the game's style, but I'll only know till I actually see it in game. The N64's billinear filtering mutes a bit of that grain.

Might do soem more over the weekend.

Last edited:
Guys... just wow. I can't wait for the texture packs to be officially released. Good job!!

Edit: Just saw the sticky :blush:

JinXD

Impreza WRX said:
I am compiling all the textures from Super Smash Bros. If someone wants to high-res them, I can send them over to ya...
Just attach them here in an archive, depending on the size.....

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
cloudscapes said:
Here's a little texture enhanceent for Mario 64 I attempted. It may be a little grainy for the game's style, but I'll only know till I actually see it in game. The N64's billinear filtering mutes a bit of that grain.

Great work! It looks very much like the original style to me.

As for the artistic morality subject, as long as we stick to the original artistic style of the game I see no problem with it. I mean, it's not like low-resolution-blurry was the style the original artists were going for anyway, they just got stuck with it due to hardware limitations.

Orkin

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
I finally got 1964 to work with my modded texture. I think over the weekend I'll try and get most (if not all) of the outside castle texture (Mario64 intro) done. Realistic if I consider it only takes me 5-15 minutes for a texture like the one I posted above.

yay! fun! :D

dragon_rider

&#31169;&#12399;&#31452;&#12364;&#22909;&#12365;&#
Hey, Impreza WRX? You said you were compiling high resolution textures for SSB? Could you send me some? Thanks.

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Nearing completion of the most visible textures for outside the castle. I think I want to try and upgrade most, if not all the textures for this game! May take several weeks though, at this rate. I'll try and do the rainbow colored room tomorrow too. I hope the maps share a lot of the textures. o_o;;

Here are a few progress shots. They look even better fullscreen. :)

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/eblythe-1.jpg
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/eblythe-2.jpg
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/eblythe-3.jpg
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/eblythe-4.jpg
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/eblythe-5.jpg

17 textures upgraded so far.

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Thanks Rice for adding hires texture support to your gfx plugin :)
I was working with some SSB text. It has some glitches which i'm gonna fix asap, this is a sample of what i've done by now :)

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
knowitman said:
Nice work on the castle area. How did you do it?

Thanks!

Well, I just coping the originals, scaled them 400% in Photoshop with no filtering (nearest-neighbor) and painted on top of it in a new layer, and added grain.

I do it quickly because I'm so used to doing this for my job.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Another interesting thing would be to rip (in near future, if it's dumped) the textures of a Mario 64 DS rom and use them on the N64 version...

JinXD

cloudscapes said:
Zoink.

See readme in .RAR for details.

Now, on to the castle interior.
Nice work, here's some screenies of before and after (sry bout the size, PNGs) .....