What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

Federelli

Beta Tester
Post the original sand texture here, and i'll show you how to make it realistic, yet fit right into the Mario64 style.

MiLO83

Rice, you wrote the emulator and the video plug-in,
I can't figure out why you'd have to use any palleted images at all...
i mean you're writing the rendering code.
Can't you just have it get the pallate for saving and then allow
a non-palleted image to be loaded in high res instead?
what not have, "if its got a pallete, and there's a hi-res map in the folder,
don't draw it, and draw this instead"?
It doesnt seem like it should be an issue to me,
but hey what do i know, i've never written an emulator.
- MiLO83

Rice

Emulator Developer
For example, OoT sky textures are palletted textures. The way to change the sky color in game is to change the pallette and use the same texture. If you won't use a palletted texture but use a true RGBA texture instead, the sky color won't change in game.

Rice

Emulator Developer
A new shot for Mario 64. Sorry that the letters are not aligned very well.

Last edited:

knowitman

Those letters look really good Rice.

SWAT_Marc, try this texture for the sand. I've done this same technique on a few other textures. I think it keeps the cartoony look pretty well.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
knowitman said:
Those letters look really good Rice.

SWAT_Marc, try this texture for the sand. I've done this same technique on a few other textures. I think it keeps the cartoony look pretty well.

I know how to make smart blur, thanks. The fact is that I was only trying to show that not every texture fits to every game.

Does anybody want to remake every sprite of the characters of Mario Kart 64?;)

Federelli

Beta Tester
Still waiting for that sand texture :).

Rice or anyone using the new beta, could you please provide me with a full dump of Zelda OOT? I really don't have time to be dumping and renaming simultaneously.

knowitman

SWAT_Marc said:
I know how to make smart blur, thanks. The fact is that I was only trying to show that not every texture fits to every game.

I don't even know what a smart blur is. I just used flash to convert the bmp to vector and saved that image.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Federelli said:
Still waiting for that sand texture :).

Rice or anyone using the new beta, could you please provide me with a full dump of Zelda OOT? I really don't have time to be dumping and renaming simultaneously.

Federelli

Just enable the option and run the game to dump all the textures, then use an image viewer/browser to find the textures you have made and rename your new textures according to the new filename just dumpped.

Even someone can dump the all textures for you, you still need to find the correct filename and rename the textures you made.

Rice

Emulator Developer
A new shot of OoT. All letters on this page are remade.

I also attached all the images of the letters, for the latest beta.

Btw, it is really handy to use scripting in Paintshop after you have learn how to edit and use them.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Another shot. All letters appearing in dialogs are remade.

The texture files are also attached.

knowitman

Nice seeing all this improvement going on. I can't wait to play Zelda OOT with the new textures?

I was also thinking that if OOT used a lot of the same textures as MM would it be easy to just use the same ones you made for OOT?

Nasorean

on a small side note i remember i saw in the forum that you can cell shade by turning on certain options in the vid card are these options avail now to casual users as well to toggle on n off.

that mario looks really cool w those "real life" textures i look forward to seeing this project mature.

since this is method essentially involves finding the original texture, sexing it up, then replacing the original with the sexy texture am i correct to assume this method will also work w 2d games like yoshi's story, mischeif makers, n killer instinct.

i personally believe that these games would benefit most from this method considering the polygonal backgrounds are enhanced but the sprites are not via the emulators

how would 2d characters workout? wouldnt the detail be lost in the blow up process or is there something i am missing?

i understand that enhancing 2d games would be incredibly difficult to do bc of the fact that there are 60 frames of animation for the characters and none for the textures, i imagine mario kart will come accross similar troubles...

has anybody tried redoing the trees in mario seeing what results are gotten

Last edited:

Nasorean

Hexidecimal said:
Ooooh, Hi-Res Yoshi's Story would be awesome.

hi rez 64 looks awesome already

Rice I implore you to make hi rez creation easy to use so normal folk can contribute as well and advance the project astronomically quick

just imagine playing perfect dark or turok in ultra hi rez, that would give us all something to do and truly advance the scene into the next generation

loopsider

Nasorean said:
hi rez 64 looks awesome already

Rice I implore you to make hi rez creation easy to use so normal folk can contribute as well and advance the project astronomically quick

just imagine playing perfect dark or turok in ultra hi rez, that would give us all something to do and truly advance the scene into the next generation

If the it is merely loading up the folder with the approprate names and images with the exact sizes all there is to it, it cannot get easier than this, correct?

I want a download, I seriously want to fix ugly 2d things in various games...

And by the way, can this replace whole 2d backgrounds?