What's new

GameCube: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprentice

I believe that the GC and PS2 are worth the buy. I ignored what most other console fanboys said about the ps2 and bought it to see for myself. I personally think that that was the best buy I made console wise so far. Every console has its share of exclusive games, although im against the xbox for several reasons. I think pc's should say about of the console scene, and the xbox violates that. M$ is only good at pc's and thats what xbox is pretty much. I'm not paying $199 for a pc thats limited to xbox games. If m$ succeeds at taking over the console market you better start saving cash, cause the console is gonna be expensive.

Gorxon

Administrator
(NL)Falcon4ever said:
If you can't watch your DVD-movies on it, it's not worth it !

You know....the DVD players on consoles are CRAP...you get much better dvd players for only 100$-200$. And, I wouldn't buy a console just for the DVD player...it's sad that some people do. Besides, they are really "messy" (read: complicated, a pain) to use compared to standalone ones...

That comment is based on the PS2's...never seen the Xbox one...

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
If you care about gaming and not about hardware, stop with that stupid argument that Xbox is just a PC...

I think the Xbox' dvd is great, the only problem is that it's very sensitive....

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
W00t fuel, you put some time into it.
And yeah, harteex is right about the DVD, it`s sensitive... So is the HD...
Anyway, each system has its games. Only reason I got a GC is for Mario sunshine and the RE remakes, all of the other stuff are crap imo... PS2 is solely for MGS2 and DMC, DVD playback on it sucks anyway. XB is for Ralli Sport Challenge, JSRf, Halo, and Gun Valkyrie, which is the sweetest game I played in the last year, thank you very much. And that`s it.

Last edited:

RatTrap

GODLIKE
xbox has been hacked.. the rom-data is running around on some sites.. i see no reason to buy an xbox when i'll probably be able to play xbox games on my home pc with an emulator probably pretty soon.. coz as you know there's a lot of anti MS-crews that'll do anything to make MS lose money.. i don't find this a good thing honestly.. i probably won't even download me a xbox emulator if it comes out.. and not only coz i find it to soon to be emulated.. but also coz i feel no urge to play it's games.. and on the other hand.. wasting money on a machine that will be emulated so soon feels useless.. you do know that all the game companies will start to back down once an emulator is released.. so i suspect that in the near future alot of xbox games will be canselled and if i buy the machine i would be paying mucho dinero for a machine that might not get anywhere..

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Emulation didn`t kill the PS1, did it? Nor did it the GBA (well, that`s a different matter). I don`t think that the upcoming PS2 emu would kill the PS2.
Anyway, I doubt the fact that an XB emu would come out soon. Isn`t the DC pretty well documented? I see no emu that runs any commercial games for it.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Raging Fuel said:
Tales of Phantasia - probably good

this is a jap SNES game, already translated by dejap. I found it a very enjoyable rpg (traditional yet real-time). I highly recommend anyone to try it. This would be a great game for any system, if it is ported to GC it will be ported Chrono Trigger style, but i doubt it being ported at all (ie i question macca's source).

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
pj64er said:

this is a jap SNES game, already translated by dejap. I found it a very enjoyable rpg (traditional yet real-time). I highly recommend anyone to try it. This would be a great game for any system, if it is ported to GC it will be ported Chrono Trigger style, but i doubt it being ported at all (ie i question macca's source).

hehe, agreed, fabulous game;) Still playing through it though;) hehe, you like how stinkin' dejap through in there own little horny lines about the chicks in the story;) haha, well, i sure hope the company that made the game didn't do that;)

BESIDES that;) How many people have heard of the gamecube being near hacked? and who the heck has downloaded a bootlegged version of a gamecube game? maybe an idiot;) correct me if i'm wrong, i've just heard that gamecube hasn't been hacked yet;)

too many smiley faces again...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I think PCs as they stand have way to much overhead to create a fast enough xbox VM. Not only that but the video hardware isn't exactly a cheap ass radeon here, although it is on par with a GF4 ti4400, you still have the extra overhead to deal with.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Lately I've been disappointed about the lack of games that I really can't wait for. Also I feel that too many games are just repeating the same thing over and over again.

Gorxon

Administrator
DuDe_ said:
Emulation didn`t kill the PS1, did it? Nor did it the GBA (well, that`s a different matter). I don`t think that the upcoming PS2 emu would kill the PS2.
Anyway, I doubt the fact that an XB emu would come out soon. Isn`t the DC pretty well documented? I see no emu that runs any commercial games for it.

Uh, you're forgetting something here....most of the CPU load that ,for an example, N64 emus use is to translate the N64 CPU instructions to x86 compatible shit...I don't really know what I'm talking about, however, you wouldn't need this with an xbox. What you would need was compatible components (prolly one of those new nvidia cards, since they support some special stuff in DirectX) and a 700 Mhz CPU. You also need a DVD player (maybe yuou would need to firmware upgrade it somehow) and then you could basically just load the bios thru some prog and run the games...

I know this sounds awfully simple, and i suppose it's a bit harder, but the thing is, you don't have to emulate the games since they're already made for x86 processors....

blizz

Raging Fuel said:
Lately I've been disappointed about the lack of games that I really can't wait for. Also I feel that too many games are just repeating the same thing over and over again.

/me agrees

/me goes back to Shin-Alpha Final Fantasy EX Redux Gold Edition ;)

Gorxon

Administrator
DuDe_ said:
I doubt the cpu is that close to the other Intel cpu`s? Anyone here has specs?

Well, a x86 CPU is a x86 CPU....and they are using a 700Mhz Pentium 3 CPU ( I think...might be lower Mhz)...standard enough don't you think?

Slougi

The problem with X-Box emulation is that it has unified memory, so frame buffer stuff like in the n64 is an issue. Also the gfx chip is partially more advanced than a gf4, so you would need a really good gfx card to run an x-box emu. As Alphawolf said, an x-box VM would be very hard to create.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I don`t think they use a P3. AFAIK it`s an "Intel 700mhz cpu". They don`t say what brand is it. After all, GC uses an ATI card, it doesn`t mean that it uses a Radeon, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.