GameCube: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
DuDe_ said:
And anyway, it`s all as simple as that: if you like what ninty does, i.e Zelda, Mario, etc, get a GC. If you don`t, don`t get a GC.

"usually they aren't, but i don't want a ps2...i already have a stand alone dvd player And x-box, o wait, yea i have a computer with a better video card"
BTW, those are two incredibly dumb arguements.

how so? Considering your probably an owner of one of those consoles i could see why you would defend them;) BUT its true though, i mean, ps2=dvd player with some games, most good ones are on PC or will be, And maybe i don't have my stories straight but isn't the x-box like some kick butt gf3 with computer parts in it as well? Anyone have a link to something that explains what exactly a x-box is? cuz thats just what i've heard reading through a few forums, Not to mention the x-box is hacked, and could be leading to ....sadly...what happened to the dreamcast, maybe:blush: who knows

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Josep said:

how so? Considering your probably an owner of one of those consoles i could see why you would defend them;) BUT its true though, i mean, ps2=dvd player with some games, most good ones are on PC or will be, And maybe i don't have my stories straight but isn't the x-box like some kick butt gf3 with computer parts in it as well? Anyone have a link to something that explains what exactly a x-box is? cuz thats just what i've heard reading through a few forums, Not to mention the x-box is hacked, and could be leading to ....sadly...what happened to the dreamcast, maybe:blush: who knows

Hah, I would hardly let the PS2 have the merit of being called a dvd player, its quite shit compared to some $70 APEX DVD players that I've seen. As for the GeForce in the Xbox, its on par with the GF4 TI4400.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Josep said:

Own all of the three.
PS2 is much more than just a dvd player. Many of the best games on the PS2 aren`t on the pc, probably won`t ever be. Tekken4 on pc? VF4 on pc? Ico on pc? I don`t think so.
The XB = pc at core might be true, but what difference does it make? Can you play DOA3 on your pc? Can you play JSRF on your pc? Can you play HeadHunter on your pc? Can you play Gun Valkyrie on your pc? NO. I can`t quite understand why is this arguement so favourable amongst fanboys.

blizz

hrrm my sarcasm was lost on people (oh now you see it!! :p )

this is a completely pointless argument, because I somehow suspect that in the end you're going to own all three consoles ;)

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Tekken 4 is, in a word, crap. No one cares about VF any more. Ico is the most pretentious game-trying-to-be-art in a long time. DOA 3 is YABEUTF (yet another beat-em-up-too-far) with a pad really not suited to it, JSRF isn`t that much over the DC version (ditto Project Gotham/MSR), I can play Headhunter on my DC already, and Gun Valkyrie... well, you`re really stretching it there. A few of those *are* headed for the PC (even Halo). And not a single one of those games has half the uniqueness of Super Monkey Ball, the fun of Luigi`s Mansion or the graphical beauty of Waverace or Rogue Leader.

(Which leads neatly onto mentioning a review will be available very shortly, as Martin has it now hopefully...)

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Can I just question my frighteningly low post count at this point if I say something about computers...? ;)
Like... I dunno, that a 150mhz laptop running win98 is still more than considerably kick ass for writing reviews on... yeah, that`ll do...
*hopes for good-humoured mods who don`t deem that as spam*

RatTrap

GODLIKE
damn.. i should be a mod here :/..

btw.. lol PS2 is getting old.. even sega is canselling games for it.. Xbox.. well.. honestly.. i do like MS for taking the PC market where it has.. even though it's capitalized the biggest OS and is probably one of the richest companies in the world.. so i don't see myself as a MS-hater.. even so.. i've played most Xbox games and found them to be nothing new.. nothing special.. nothing else than eye candy.. and i can get that on my pc any day eather way.. gamecube i really must say has some great unique games.. and to say that is fanboy-ism is just being ignorant.. i know more than a couple of guys who kept telling me to get the xbox.. coz the cube had kiddi games.. they looked at the titles and said.. "monkey baal?.. luigi's mansion?.. your gonna buy shitty kid games like that?".. soon as i had it plugged in and they where talking bout other stuff trying not to show interest.. soon as i started getting into the game they wanted to try it.. one of my buds ended up buying a controll so we could play 2 player games on MY cube.. they kept talking bad about it coz they just where ignorant and felt it looked childish.. now they are more stuck on the games than i am.. and they all got gamecubes too heh.. it's sad but true..

blizz

hehe that's so true my m8 bought his cube and all his neighbours in halls keep walking in to play SSBM multiplayer

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:
If I was still a console person who was after multiplayer, I would pick xbox, despite how much I hate MS. Its $50 cheaper and already includes the necessary hardware.

Hehe not only that but the gamecube somehow reminds me of a kindergarten girls lunchpale.

Umm..Xbox is $50 more.

Macca

Here is a list of reasons to get a GC (its really just a list of gc exclusives :p)

1080: Whitestorm
Acceleration
Animal Crossing
Backyard Football
Beach Spikers
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (released)
Bomberman Generation (released)
Camelot RPG
Darkened Skye
Diehard Vendetta
Dinotopia
Disney All-Star Basketball
Disney All-Star Football
Disney All-Star Skateboarding
Disney All-Star Soccer
Disney's Magical Mirror
Disney's Magical Park
Donkey Kong Plus
Donkey Kong Racing
Dora The Explorer
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Evolution Worlds
F-Zero
Futurama
Gift
Giftpia
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Home Run King (released)
Kao the Kangaroo 2
Kameo Elements of Power
Kirby Game
LMA Manager
Lost Kingdoms (released)
Luigi's Mansion (released)
Mage
Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Mario Party 4
Mario Sunshine
Mario Tennis
Marionette
Metroid Prime
Mr. Driller
Mystic Heroes
Namco RPG
NBA Courtside 2002 (released)
NHL 3000
Perfect Dark 0 (officially still exclusive)
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & Episode 2
Pikmin (released)
Pokemon Game
Rally Championship
Rally Simulation
Resident Evil (released)
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Roll-o-Rama
Safari Joe: The Dark Continent
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (released)
Stage Debut
Starfox Adventures
Starfox Shooter
Starwars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (released)
Super Monkey Ball (released)
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros Melee (released)
Tak and The Power of JuJu
Tales of Phantasia
Tankers: Smoking Barrels
The Hobbit
The Legend of Zelda
Too Human
Universal Studios (released)
Virtua Fighter Quest
Virtua Striker (released)
Warioland
Wave Race: Blue Storm (released)
WWE Wrestlemania X8 (released)
Zoocube (released)

There may be errors cause i copied it from another forum, but you get the point :D

Macca

blizz said:
hehe that's so true my m8 bought his cube and all his neighbours in halls keep walking in to play SSBM multiplayer

I live 5 mins from my school, so when we have free periods/lunch everone comes back to mine to play SSBM :p

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
I know you said that you didn't write it, but I've just gone through and made some comments on the list. You can't just copy-paste a list of 'exclusive' games and expect people to think that the system is great. Even of the games that are exclusive, not all of them are worth getting.

1080: Whitestorm - looks good
Acceleration - a game most people haven't heard of and probably don't care about. This is the developers second game ever, so don't expect anything great. They have published games before, and not just for GC, so I'm not sure how exclusive the game will stay
Animal Crossing - looks good
Backyard Football - not exclusive. Being developed by left field, but they are no longer second party
Beach Spikers - look ok, so far
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (released) - this particular game might be exclusive, but the series sure isn't
Bomberman Generation (released) - same as above
Camelot RPG - not enough info to comment
Darkened Skye - is on pc
Diehard Vendetta - probably crap
Dinotopia - probably crap
Disney All-Star Basketball - dont think i need to comment
Disney All-Star Football - ditto
Disney All-Star Skateboarding -ditto
Disney All-Star Soccer -ditto
Disney's Magical Mirror - ditto
Disney's Magical Park - ditto (even though ive never heard of this one)
Donkey Kong Plus - this is a gba game
Donkey Kong Racing - might not ever be made with the rumours surrounding rare
Dora The Explorer - = doshin the giant? because otherwise ive never heard of it. but if it is doshin then should be good
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - cant wait
Evolution Worlds - has potential
F-Zero - good
Futurama - not exclusive
Gift - doesnt even have a publisher yet. may not see the light of day
Giftpia - just a copy of gift? never heard of it...
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee - sounds pretty average
Home Run King (released) - crap
Kao the Kangaroo 2 - developed by titus (superman 64). need i say more?
Kameo Elements of Power - again doubtful because of rare situation
Kirby Game - well since it turned into roll-o-rama its not certain if there is a kirby game in development
LMA Manager - if you like soccer managers
Lost Kingdoms (released) - crap
Luigi's Mansion (released) - good
Mage - probably crap
Mario Golf - good
Mario Kart - cant wait
Mario Party 4 - good
Mario Sunshine - good
Mario Tennis - good
Marionette - i don't think this is a real game. it was on a release list once, and disappeared soon after.
Metroid Prime - good
Mr. Driller - i doubt this will be exclusive
Mystic Heroes - probably crap
Namco RPG - dont know enough info
NBA Courtside 2002 (released) - ok
NHL 3000 - nhl series not exclusive
Perfect Dark 0 (officially still exclusive) - again rare
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & Episode 2 - good
Pikmin (released) - good
Pokemon Game - im not sure if a pokemon game has actually been announced for gc, but its probably not that good anyway.
Rally Championship - probably ok
Rally Simulation - doubt this is a real game
Resident Evil (released) - good
Resident Evil 0 - probably good
Resident Evil 2 - not exclusive (on psx)
Resident Evil 3 - ditto
Resident Evil 4 - probably going to be released on other systems
Roll-o-Rama - probably ok
Safari Joe: The Dark Continent - crap (titus again)
Skies of Arcadia - probably good
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (released) - not so good
Stage Debut - probably ok
Starfox Adventures - good
Starfox Shooter - probably ok
Starwars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (released) - not that great
Super Monkey Ball (released) - good
Super Monkey Ball 2 - good
Super Smash Bros Melee (released) - ok
Tak and The Power of JuJu - nickelodean game. crap
Tales of Phantasia - probably good
Tankers: Smoking Barrels - titus again
The Hobbit - doubt its exclusive
The Legend of Zelda - good
Too Human - should be great if its released on gc (will probably be delayed until next nintendo system :p)
Universal Studios (released) - crap
Virtua Fighter Quest - maybe ok
Virtua Striker (released) - ok
Warioland - ok
Wave Race: Blue Storm (released) - ok
WWE Wrestlemania X8 (released) - wrestling games u can get anywhere
Zoocube (released) - good

aprentice

Reznor007 said:
Gamecube supports RF, composite, Svideo, Component, and on progressive capable screens 480P HDTV mode. Also, in Europe it supports RGB/SCART.

The discs are 1.5GB...Zelda:OOT was 32MB...think about that for a sec :)

I got 6 ps2 games and only about 1 is more than 1.5gigs.
The game exe itself shouldnt be more than 100mb really, what takes up the most space is the music and video files.

Status
Not open for further replies.