What's new

GameCube: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
KingTom said:
Blinx looks pretty damn original—not that everyone and their grandma at nintendo wouldn't have done it B4 if they had the capability—or do they?

The GC wouldn't be able to run Blinx, yet. Once the SD card adapter is released then you will be able to run it, as SD cards currently hold about a gig, and by the time the adapter is release it should be at least 2. Of course a game like blinx will probably not be released until late in the GC's life, if at all, because most people won't buy the SD card adapter.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
pj64er said:
rehashes and sequels get fanboys (do i even have to name names or point fingers?) of previous systems to buy the new ones. Thats why they are so common at the beginning of a system's life.

But the PSOne started life as a totally original concept. That is all gone now. :p

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Want lastable games? Wait for Mario Sunshine and Zelda. The last `big` game I had time to finish was Shenmue, over several months. There`s about a half-dozen big games I still haven`t had time for and never will these days. So if Nintendo are giving me shorter but much more entertainment packed games that I might actually have the time to play through, yes I`m gonna go for those.
There`s a difference between sequels and sequels which have actually enhanced the gameplay of the original and not just the graphics. On average, Nintendo have had a higher ratio of the second type for how long now? Zelda looks to enhance what has gone before. Firstly, I`m more an artist than anything else. Perhaps this is why I can see and appreciate what has been done with the games visuals. Why being able to appreciate something seems to make me a `fanboy` I really don`t get. It also looks to have enabled them to give us huge areas into the deal, and some of the smoothest most fluid animation ever seen.

The concept of breaking up the main game into islands is something new for the Zelda series. The story (and Arill) look to be an interesting thing to get into; THAT and not the graphics are what intrigue me the most. The way enemies will drop weapons you can now use is new to the series. The stealth elements and context-sensitive battle moves are new. And I think its pretty safe to assume a proper day/night system (and weather? It has been seen to rain later on...) which doesn`t `cheat` in quite the same manner as in Majora`s Mask. If you`re a long time player of a series, these are the kind of refinements you`d like to see too.

If everyone thinks original ideas are so easy to come up with, go make them yourself. And would YOU buy a system without recognisable big names behind it which have a reputation for never being bad?
*cough*XBox*cough*

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Jaz said:

But the PSOne started life as a totally original concept. That is all gone now. :p

you lubbed the PS1 dont you?

but imho, FFVII (a sequel) is what really got the ps1 engine going.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Stalkid64 said:
Want lastable games?

Hey, I'm not saying games aren't lastable. Hell, I loved every hour of Shenmue. And I'm not saying that original games never happen anymore. I'm just saying that they are far less common in today's market than sequels.

Thankfully, the wonderous GC is more like the DC than any of the other consoles. Fun games. And far more original games than that on PS2 or Xbox. :)

But then, GC 0WN5! :emutalk:

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
(That lastable comment wasn`t aimed at you btw;)) Of course original games are less common - its like music, everything has been done already. Shenmue was too long IMHO... I guess you`ll see soon enough that games will just have to be able to fit in with other stuff and still give you a fair chance of ever seeing the end. Damned if I`ll ever get the time to finish Shenmue 2 or PSO ver 2, or Ferrari. I`ve clocked Lugi`s Mansion repeatedly and I still have fun with it, ditto Waverace, the overrated/underwhelming Rogue Leader, and I`m stuck into Tony Hawk 3, but God knows I`ll simply never have the time to get right through everything of it, or Super Monkey Ball. I just never see the length of games as a huge issue, as long as there`s a huge amount of fun packed into it. Mario 64, Goldeneye et al were all basically very short games, they just had lots of fun which added to the replay value. Most of the real classics do.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Stalkid64 said:
Damned if I`ll ever get the time to finish Shenmue 2 or PSO ver 2, or Ferrari.

*lol* Yeah, I agree about Shenmue.. it did drag on a bit. I never completed the original. Just spent my time in the arcade and buying stuff in the shop. ;)

I did complete F355 though, but that is just because I 0wn at racing games.. ;)

PSO2.. well, blizz keeps cheating and I refuse to play with a cheater. ;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
Stalkid64 said:
Damned if I`ll ever get the time to finish Shenmue 2

Its a good game, i highly suggest you play through the entire game!:) One of the most unique games i have played in a LONG Time;) waaay better than the first.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
I have about a dozen Scape Dolls stored away... I just haven`t been on since the rampant gameshark-ery cheatage started up. Ended up kind of boring... there was the fun side of it though. Waiting until an obvious cheater/duper died, grabbing the GS`ed items then dumping them on another server never to be seen again before returning to the original server. Ah the memories of half-hour standoffs... *sigh*
Shenmue 2 will just take too long though... :(

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
u sure we're talking about the same game?!:) Kinda lost me when you went into the gameshark thing;) i know what gameshark is, its just you lost me past that;) its well worth playing though!:) so hard to explain what a great story it was

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
My Amiga-based brain actually multitasks properly, so I can hold several postconversations at once see? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.