• Gamecube

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Xbox

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • None of them

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

jollyrancher

Since 90% of the games on Xbox/GCN/PS2 are shared and ported from one to the other, you have to look at 2 things: original games and other functionality. There's probably no clear winner on original games... GTA3 vs Halo vs Metroid Prime... you could argue forever, it's just personal taste. So I'd go with PS2 just because you can use it as a DVD player and it plays all the PS1 games that I still love. So DVD + PS1 is worth more to me than the $50 extra that it costs over GCN.

Clements

jollyrancher said:
...and it plays all the PS1 games that I still love.

Apart from the handful of PS1 games that don't work at all and a few other games that have artifacts due to the way the PS2 'enhances' the graphics. Same with the GBA with its GB/GBC compatibility.

As for DVD playback:

My DVD drive on my PC > The PS2

jollyrancher

The PS2's DVD movie playback quality isn't going to win any awards and your PC's DVD drive probably plays movies better. But I don't want to unplug my computer and stick it in front of the TV everytime I want to watch a movie. So if people in your house want to watch two different DVDs at once then the PS2 gets the job done.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
Apart from the handful of PS1 games that don't work at all and a few other games that have artifacts due to the way the PS2 'enhances' the graphics. Same with the GBA with its GB/GBC compatibility.

As for DVD playback:

My DVD drive on my PC >The PS2

I haven't encountered any PS1 games that haven't worked at all in PS2, and the PS2 always defaults to having all enhancements off...

And even the usually temperamental Final Fantasy Legends II (loses some sound channels at random in a GBC, and very frequently crashes outright in Super GB) runs fine in MY GBA.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
jollyrancher said:
Since 90% of the games on Xbox/GCN/PS2 are shared and ported from one to the other, you have to look at 2 things: original games and other functionality. There's probably no clear winner on original games... GTA3 vs Halo vs Metroid Prime... you could argue forever, it's just personal taste. So I'd go with PS2 just because you can use it as a DVD player and it plays all the PS1 games that I still love. So DVD + PS1 is worth more to me than the $50 extra that it costs over GCN.
That's silly.
PS1 = play on computer kthx. DVD player = play on computer kthx.
It's much better on computer, to boot.
So, that takes out all the "extra" things with the ps2 over the gcn.
Besides, ps emulation on pc is even better than on the console.

jollyrancher

No way! I'd much rather watch DVDs hooked from a PS2 to a 27" tv than on a PC with a 19" monitor. And PS1 emulation still isn't as good as the real thing, even with ePSXe and Pete's video settings turned up. There are still minor graphic glitches and sound problems in many games (at least the ones I have). And the PS2 also comes with a better controller for sports/fighting/racing games (my favorite type of games) than the Cube.

jollyrancher

See that's what it comes down to: what type of games you like. If you prefer Mario Kart then GCN is for you; if you prefer Gran Turismo 4 then you'd be happy with a PS2.

Davemc

Dave
Gran Turismo is class.
Gran Turismo 4 isn't out yet...

I have Gran Turismo 1,2 and 3.
3 got boring quickly, weren't enough cars and things to upgrade.
Not a patch on 2.

Clements

Tagrineth said:
I haven't encountered any PS1 games that haven't worked at all in PS2, and the PS2 always defaults to having all enhancements off...

Found the list of 9 games confirmed not to work:

Arcade Party Pak
Atari Arcade Greatest Hits
Fighter Maker,
Final Fantasy Anthology
International Track and Field
Judge Dredd
Monkey Hero
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Tomba

Source:

http://www.ps2home.co.uk/ps1_games_on_ps2.htm

And also:

http://www.vasu2000.com/ps2/ps2_alert.htm

98% of PSOne games work, not ALL as was stated somewhere earlier.

Thanks to Nightcrawler on the ZSNES Board for said info!

Davemc

Dave
Premier Manager 98 doesn't work properly on the PS2...
And Track and Field is the only PS1 game worth playing, except Driver 2. ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
jollyrancher said:
No way! I'd much rather watch DVDs hooked from a PS2 to a 27" tv than on a PC with a 19" monitor. And PS1 emulation still isn't as good as the real thing, even with ePSXe and Pete's video settings turned up. There are still minor graphic glitches and sound problems in many games (at least the ones I have). And the PS2 also comes with a better controller for sports/fighting/racing games (my favorite type of games) than the Cube.
Solution: card with tv-out. Simple.
For the emulation, games *do* have good sound if you do configure right. And so - who cares about *small* gfx glitches?!
About the control...absolutely not, the cube control is just as good as the ps/ps2 one. It seems you're just saying the ps2 is the best without any good facts.

Macca

Had to post this here.

nintendo.jpg

Today, Nintendo announced that its console had surpassed the sales of the Playstation 2, which makes the GameCube the top selling console for Thanksgiving week. According to internal sales data (not NPD), Nintendo's console sold more than half a million units during the week of November 24 (which is almost as much as its Game Boy Advance that tallied 600,000 units over the same time period).

Clements

Macca said:
Today, Nintendo announced that its console had surpassed the sales of the Playstation 2, which makes the GameCube the top selling console for Thanksgiving week. According to internal sales data (not NPD), Nintendo's console sold more than half a million units during the week of November 24 (which is almost as much as its Game Boy Advance that tallied 600,000 units over the same time period).

Hey, that's great news for Ninty! Long may it continue. :happy:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I have an XBOX, yesterday I spent a lot of time at the hospital for some tests, and I had a lot of thinking time, Trying to figure out what to do ater XMAS with the money i usually aquire. I'm thinking about buying my own NGC. My brother has one, but he uses it for mario tony hawk and madden, I want one so i can pick up double dash, metroid prime, wind waker. Now I have to tell my parents....

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Macca said:
Had to post this here.

As happy as I am to see someone push PS2 off the top (if only for a short while), can anybody give a reason why this happened? Is it because everyone already has a PS2?

2fast4u

pj64er said:
As happy as I am to see someone push PS2 off the top (if only for a short while), can anybody give a reason why this happened? Is it because everyone already has a PS2?

seems like the price drop has caused more effect than anyone would have thought. lets see if it lasts. *fingers crossed*