• Gamecube

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Xbox

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • None of them

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

Macca

The release of Activision's financial results this morning brought with it a helpful breakdown of the installed bases of the various consoles in North America, including projections through to the end of FY2003/04.

yeh good work on stating the facts, there is more to the world than America, next time maybe specify where your stats have relevance.

100% of people like GC (in my household yeh, but thats not really relevant now is it?)

Macca

oh and some real quick reasearch shows that the GC is beatring the Box in Europe, and i havent even mentioned the word Japan.

13 million units by the end of 2002 would give the PS2 an entirely unassailable lead in Europe, with more than three times the installed base of GameCube and Xbox combined. Current projections are that GameCube will have sold 2.5 million units by the end of the year in Europe, with Xbox lagging behind - despite strong uptake in the UK - on 1.5 million units.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=995

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
oh and some real quick reasearch shows that the GC is beatring the Box in Europe, and i havent even mentioned the word Japan.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=995

Macca said:
yeh good work on stating the facts, there is more to the world than America, next time maybe specify where your stats have relevance.

100% of people like GC (in my household yeh, but thats not really relevant now is it?)

Ok there are three things wrong with what you are stating here. First, the US, and even australia for that matter, aren't any less relavent than europe. Especialy in terms of volume, because more consoles sell in the US than europe, so trying to say that europe is the only relavent region in the world is a bad idea.

Second, whoever said anything about gamecube vs xbox? I was mostly refering to the PS2, which starkly contrasts the poll here, which indicates fanboy bias on your part.

Third, that article you cited didn't mention what the figures currently are, it plainly states that those are projections:

Current projections are that GameCube will have sold 2.5 million units by the end of the year in Europe, with Xbox lagging behind

Last edited:

Macca

whoa, if you are going to try and knock down my argument, check that the points you are raising dont apply to yours..

[Your first problem]

"Ok there are three things wrong with what you are stating here. First, the US, and even australia for that matter, aren't any less relavent than europe. Especialy in terms of volume, because more consoles sell in the US than europe, so trying to say that europe is the only relavent region in the world is a bad idea."

um...what? i never said that europe sold more consoles than america let alone that they are the only relevant region, i was in fact trying to show that you were stating that america was the only relevant region.

[second]

concerning the xbox vs gc debate or what ever you think im trying to start due to my 'fanboyisim', i was once again mearly showing that those sales figures you posted are only indicating the trend in the US and not anywhere else in the world. As from the example i used of the GC and Xbox, it was just to show that the US is not a trend setter in the console market let alone the only relevant region concerning console sales, which through your stat seemed like you were trying to say that. (im not saying you were, just that thats what i got out of it)

[third]

"Third, that article you cited didn't mention what the figures currently are, it plainly states that those are projections"
ditto yours "including projections through to the end of FY2003/04."

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
um...what? i never said that europe sold more consoles than america let alone that they are the only relevant region, i was in fact trying to show that you were stating that america was the only relevant region.

Ok, but you said:

macca said:
next time maybe specify where your stats have relevance.

Which is your way of saying the US is not at all relavent.

macca said:
As from the example i used of the GC and Xbox

Example? You didn't mention anything else...

macca said:
ditto yours "including projections through to the end of FY2003/04."

Well, my source said this:

The Xbox leads the GameCube slightly, with Microsoft's console boasting 6 million installed base as against 4.7 million for Nintendo's platform. These figures are expected to grow...*snip*

Macca

you are just trying to twist my words and im not sure if you are uderstanding what i am saying.

i am saying that the US sales alone are of no relavence to proving that one console is more popular than another. sure the US sells alot of consoles but there are other places in the world which sell a fair few (Europe, Japan). Now if you want to discuss the sales of consoles you should be using a world wide figure or else at least state where you are refering to. what you did was state numbers of sales, yet upon reealing your source it became evident that they were just figures from the US and not the world, sure you didnt say either way but you only posted half a statistic. (as per my example of above with 100% of people liking GC).

to me "Last week, the figures for how many people own what console went like this:" does not indicate that you are refering to a specific market (the US).

this is just a tit for tat discussion of "you said this" and "you said that" stemming from the simple fact that you posted an incomplete statistic. all im suggesting is that if you are going to post a number of somesort, at the very least post what its refering to.

take this further if you want, i really couldnt care less.

Remote

One thing that counts though is that consoles / games / etc costs more in europe, so more profit from less... ;-)

Stezo2k

S-2K
i really think this poll isnt fair due to most people on this site being into N64 gaming and N64 emulation so there :p

sheik124

Emutalk Member
AlphaWolf, how the hell can you compare the PS2 sales to that of the gamecube OR the xbox, the damn thing has been out for 2 years longer, OF COURSE IT HAS SOLD MORE :ranting:

EDIT: oh yeah, Sega Genesis was the best console of all time, followed by the dreamcast

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sheik124 said:
AlphaWolf, how the hell can you compare the PS2 sales to that of the gamecube OR the xbox, the damn thing has been out for 2 years longer, OF COURSE IT HAS SOLD MORE :ranting:

EDIT: oh yeah, Sega Genesis was the best console of all time, followed by the dreamcast

Because I don't want to dig up information on the release dates of these three consoles, I'll go ahead and be very liberal for your sake. Lets pretend that the PS2 has been selling for 4 years, and the GCN/XBOX have been selling for 2 years (even though I am pretty sure that the PS2 hasn't been selling for four years, and the GCN/Xbox have been selling for longer than two years). Divide the PS2's 19 million sales by 4, and you have 4.75 million average sales per year. Divide the Xbox's 6 million sales by two, and you have 3 million average sales per year. Divide the GCNs 4.7 million sales by two, and you have 2.35 million average sales per year.

That leaves us like this:

PS2: 4.75 million sales per year
Xbox: 3 million sales per year
GCN: 2.35 million sales per year

Damn...well, I'll leave it up to you to decide which one wins. (This is of course assuming that the time the console has been on the market actualy matters. The dreamcast was on the market longer than the PS2, yet somehow it didn't sell as many consoles.)

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You people seem to have been forgetting THAT SNES OWNED ALL OF YOU, what other console have there ever been so many hits for, um, none!

Then again, this is also just my opinion.

jollyrancher

The SNES??? What are you talking about? The NES was cruising along for years crushing everything in its path selling 60-something million systems, and when it was time to put out a next-generation system, the SNES was beaten by the Genesis for quite awhile until pulling ahead later in its lifespan. The SNES's failure caused Nintendo's market share to fall from 90+% to 50+%. And you have to be a retro fanatic to honestly say that SNES games on the whole are superior to the Playstation or the current consoles.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Bah, current console game line ups (with the exception of the gamecube) are shite, theres one of each in my household XBOX PS2 and NGC, i honestly rarely play any of them, there are simply no original games that grasp my attention for more then a couple hours at best.

revl8er

That Damn Good
there are simply no original games that grasp my attention for more then a couple hours at best.

Yeah there hasn't been too many good games recently. Most good games that I see are on pc. I do however own all of the 3 systems. The only game I really wanted to buy was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I must say that it was a good buy. I like the ps2 and gc a little more than the xbox just because of the better game lineup. I believe the xbox will come back sooner or later.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
The SNES??? What are you talking about? The NES was cruising along for years crushing everything in its path selling 60-something million systems, and when it was time to put out a next-generation system, the SNES was beaten by the Genesis for quite awhile until pulling ahead later in its lifespan. The SNES's failure caused Nintendo's market share to fall from 90+% to 50+%. And you have to be a retro fanatic to honestly say that SNES games on the whole are superior to the Playstation or the current consoles.

Yeah, Nintendo was also using strong-arm tactics to force retailers to sell almost ONLY NES games. You ever see a Master System in regular retail stores? Didn't think so.

Around the end of NES's life and the start of SNES's is when N was forced to quit those tactics (thanks to anti-trust officials breathing down their necks).

And as far as I'm concerned SNES and Genesis were tied throughout their entire life cycles. In fact, you said "Beaten by the Genesis for quite a while" and moments later said to "50+" which is half or better. Not quite being 'beaten', eh?