What's new

Donkey Kong 64 issues fixed

OP
M

mantis

this pic shows why i do not recommend playing under cf4 setting. in cf4 mode a very unusal thing happened,i was able to go through the closed door of the second boss with the unproper kong:donkey kong.I think a lot more suprises awaits in cf4 mode.

OP
M

mantis

Kahnabyss, how COULD YOU complete the Creepy castle stage barrel blast mini game??.I seem to fly around in loops both playing under pj64 and 1964emu.

Something else:

5. stage: Fungi Forest

Barrel blast mini game

This is a really complicated mini game, but also a good example: needs cf changing in between 2 barrels.

a few examples:
in cf4 mode Donkey falls too short:

OP
M

mantis

The solution: start the mini game in cf4 mode and in the moment seen on the first picture, save your state and change to cf6.reset, reload the state , and if you saved state at the right place your character will land in the barrel.

Bad news:
This mini game only partially playable under pj64(Kahnabyss tested it under 1964emu).After a dozen of barrels you will reach a point where you see a ring of bushes.(actually that's the 3. ring of bushes).The next barrel is too far even in cf6 mode(the flying distance is in correlation with the cf setting).
So, one can complete this mini game only with the help of 1964 emu

note:
save state converting between 1964emu and pj64 is not 100% relyable.sometimes the state re-converted from 1964emu freezes under pj64. solution: under 1964emu exit from the level after you've beaten the mini game, and then convert your save state to pj64 format.

KahnAbyss

To pass it you have to go through all rings could be touchy but not too hard not as fungi forest was ;)

Check into the Eeprom database it have a save before every levels
if you wants me just to pass the mini barrel game of Creepy send me an eeprom of your save just before it

terrell

Re: In Case you are not aware of this

Curious said:
Hi Mantis,

Using the “Access All Areas” cheat I was able to enter Gloomy Galleon level...

Octopussy:

Since only one of the four poles needed to beat Octopussy activates, this boss can not be beat. Another glitch, another Boss Key not available!

Mantis, I'm not a pro on this, but I've found that the Free Pass sometimes keeps you from hitting certain things because you instead go through it. I thought that might be Curious and Gent's problem.

terrell

Hey! I don't know how much you (mantis) have heard, but I've found that the first DK Blast Pad is quite easy to beat in PJ. All I had to do set the CF to four and use the interpreter, which, in the barrels, actually runs quite fast on my 733 P3. And anytime I don't have to load 1964 is a good time (It really slows down my PC.) I am currently working on the second DK Blast. I've been told its possible with CFs of 4 and 6. You have to switch between 6 and 4 on the sideways barrels, though. I think a setting of 5 wuld be perfect. Too bad it doesn't exist in PJ...

My problem is the peanut switch that opens Diddy's cave (right by the Number 2 pad). Diddy's peanuts go right through the swich, as does Diddy.

EDIT I mean the cave that lets you get to Diddy's minecart race, not the coconut switch by number 4 which lets Diddy out. I'm right now inside of frantic factory with all five kongs. I just want to try out the minecart race.

And as for you, KahnAbyss, unless your system is slower than mine, I've found that the game runs actual speed or faster of you CTRL-ALT-DELETE and shutdown everything except PJ, Explorer, Rnaapp and Msgloop . If that doesn't work, modify your SYSTEM.INI shell= setting to start PJ. Complete instructions can be found here.

Gotta go. I've got a game to play.
P.S. This post assumes you are using the latest PJ v1.5b1

Last edited:
OP
M

mantis

Yeah, as i wrote many places the barrrel blast mini games indeed playable under pj64 ( except fungy forest stage).The method i desribed is developed by Kahnabyss, he has beaten the dk64 under 1964.I prefer playing dk64 under pj64.If you search the dk64 related posts you will find that some users have reported the cf4 changing trick (pj64) months ago)

in my opinion dk64 is not 101% compatible with pj64, but pj64 emulates faster( use jabo's 1. 4 dx6 plugin!), more stable , and works fine with jabo's audio plugin.

About the 1. level peanut switch-diddy kong:

i dealed with the problem when i played this stage , I think the distance is the problem, try to shoot from closer for example take the neighbouring hill- not a good angle but believe me it can be done.
Or, you could manipulate with the cf setting (i did not try this).Write your conclusions!
There are also cheats making monkeys to ghosts if you search back tre topic.

terrell

mantis said:
this pic shows why i do not recommend playing under cf4 setting. in cf4 mode a very unusal thing happened,i was able to go through the closed door of the second boss with the unproper kong:donkey kong.I think a lot more suprises awaits in cf4 mode.
Yo! On my ROM anyways, I can go through any door, not to mention a few things that I don't like to go through, like that peanut switch I mentioned earlier.

terrell

Mantis, I tried what I thought you meant, but shooting from by Diddy's cage didn't work. So I came back to look at your post. I found that yours was straightforward, but mine was a little unclear. I changed it to reflect what I meant.

I hope you can help me fix this.

OP
M

mantis

no, no
I ment the hill with the weapon shop on the other side.
i must confess that bug occured in february, so i may not remember very well.

Have you tried different cf settings?

demoncraze

When i try and Open DK64 the audio jumps then the Grphics and as the logo appears i get the error message sayin "SW TLB:0" then when i click on ok it says "SW TLB:4" and it goes back and forward from this please help!! please email [email protected] (The game will not run at all...:(

OP
M

mantis

maybe you tried to emulate the rom under counter factor=2 setting.You should update the emulators rom database, or set the counter factor manually to 3 or 4.

Lionen

Im having huge probelms with this rom. First, i cant swing in lians in the first level (Jungle Japes). It also is slow, even though i have a new computer, and other roms work perfeclty. And the audio in the intro get way before the animations. When i noticed how to change the CT i changed around a bit. But when restarted the game with CT3, i had no controller! Now i cant play at all! Oh great....

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
1.The reason it is slow is because the game has timing issues.
2.try using sync game to audio.

terrell

Lionen said:
Im having huge probelms with this rom. First, i cant swing in lians in the first level (Jungle Japes). It also is slow, even though i have a new computer, and other roms work perfectly. And the audio in the intro get way before the animations.[note: skip the intro. You shouldn't really need it.] When i noticed how to change the CF i changed around a bit. But when restarted the game with CF3, i had no controller! Now i cant play at all! Oh great....

Hey. I just wanted to tell you that the vines do not work in the RDB's setting of cf4 does not allow you to clasp the vines. Also, if you have ever used the walkthru cheat, you probably will go right through the vines. The solution: You must delete your save files and start all over. But if you're stuck in Jungle Japes, that's not really that far to go.

One more thing, you must reset PJ after you change the CF. Just save the state right before you do it.

To speed it up, be sure to use only the highest grafic settings that run well on your system. And don't forget to emulate clear (advanced buffer setting). Other than that, try shutting down other apps that run in the background.

Finally, for the controller, try changing the input plugin. It's not the best fix, but it usually works. And make sure you didn't change it last time when you you changed the cf. It should read eitehr jabo's or n-rage.

Oh, well. I gotta go. I intend to only answer one question and I start rambling. Sorry. Hope it helps, though.

Last edited:

terrell

terrell said:
My problem is the peanut switch that opens Diddy's cave (right by the Number 2 pad). Diddy's peanuts go right through the swich, as does Diddy. I mean the cave that lets you get to Diddy's minecart race, not the coconut switch by number 4 which lets Diddy out. I'm right now inside of frantic factory with all five kongs. I just want to try out the minecart race.

I feel silly replying to my own message, but it's the easiest way to get a quote. I fixed my problem with the peanut switch. It seems that I needed to upgrade my video drivers. Just another reminder to stay up-to-date with your drivers, rather than blame the software.

So if anyone has an NVIDIA card, be sure to download the new GPU drivers. They not only fix problems but also speed up your gpu and allows more memory to be used. Now I can run PJ in 1024x768x32. Much prettier.

Terrell out.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
terrell said:
Hey. I just wanted to tell you that the vines do not work in the RDB's setting of cf4 does not allow you to clasp the vines. Also, if you have ever used the walkthru cheat, you probably will go right through the vines. The solution: You must delete your save files and start all over. But if you're stuck in Jungle Japes, that's not really that far to go.
[/B]

ok so what setting _do_ you need?