What's new

Donkey Kong 64 issues fixed

mantis

I’ve written many posts about the dk64 barrel blast mini game issues in the past. Those days are over!The issue is indeed connection with the cf setting.I know now how to beat the mini games,many regards to KhanAbyss.
It is more difficult than cracking jet force gemini.

You won’t succeed in pj64 itself as this emu hasn’t cf7 or cf8 (but why???) settings which are necessary to beat the mini games.
1964 emu has an option for importing pj64 save states( you have to mark the expert options box in the preferences menu)
in 1964 emu you can change cf real time with keyboard commands(left ctrl+number)
present day pj64 emulates dk64 much better than 1964, and more stable, at least for me.

The receipt:

Stages Jungle Japes and Crazy Aztec.

Save your game state just before the barrel blast mini game.Run 1964 emu and import the pj64 save state.Set cf to 7. Enter the mini game.In the mini game You will have to blast Donkey from barrel to barrel.Save state every time you succed.If you would fail( and not due to wrong targetting) load the last state and set cf to 8 or was it in cf8 then set back to 7.
After the mini game beaten convert your save state to pj64 format, BUT DON'T FORGET TO SET CF BELOW 7 BEFORE YOU CONVERT AS PJ64 MIGHT FREEZE WITH A CF7 MODE SAVE STATE.

Frantic Factory

ON this stage cf 3 setting under pj64 will lead to success no need to convert save state.

Gloomy Galleon - unplayable, sorry

Further levels

I haven’t tested it yet but combining different cf settings should also work.

Again, thanks Khanabyss !

OP
M

mantis

If you would experience missing graphics at the arcade mini game
set the video plugin to jabo's 1.3 dx6

OP
M

mantis

The eeprom save also works if you start the game in cf4 mode and make your first normal save in this mode

OP
M

mantis

save for curious-second boss key
rename it eep
Curious please send me eeprom saves as you progress in the game! walktrough-gamefaqs.com

Curious

Great Work.

Thanks Mantis & Khanabyss,

For all your hard work with this. I had issues with 1964 and converting PJ64 save files, which annoyed me so much I decided to spend a little time away from emulation to regain my calm.

Anyway I digress.

For me Donkey Kong 64 plays best on Apollo, no polygon problem but unforunately no cheats also. However the video graphics seem more stable I have an issue with audio whic I must get back to the Apollo board about.

I tried several times to download your eeprom save after the second boss but I am getting the following error message:

"Can not open file It does not appear to be a valid archive.
If you downloaded the file try downloading the file again."

Mantis can you please send me this Eeprom save by e-mail. Thanks.

Oh I have been doing a bit of investigating the following may be of interest:

Yoshi said:
:!!!:

Well I was able to collect all the keys from the first 4 worlds, without using any cheat.
But i used the Japanese rom.

Curious said:
Hi All,

Mantis has raised a really interesting point, at least to me.

Please see below:

"it's a strange phenomeon that for some pj64 user a certain part of the game is playable an unplayable for another one. The solution should be save state swapping." - Mantis

Is there any other evidence for this. And would establishing an Eeprom save state database be a good/ legal idea?

What you say moderators?

C.

:!!!:

Smiff said:
i don't think that's true, except in very rare cases where timing could be an issue.

Curious said:

;)

Interesting you should say this Smiff as DK64 has just this sort of problem:

To quote the FAQ:

"Why is the game not very smooth?
This game has unique timing problems which require an unusually high Counter Factor (ROM Settings) to avoid various problems. Therefore the updated RDB sets a CF of 4 - you can actually use a Counter Factor of 3 _most_ of the time - this will provide reasonably smooth video, and let most of the game run correctly, however, some parts of the game require a Counter Factor of 4 or higher to avoid errors - for these few occasions, you should change Counter Factor to 4, reset the ROM, play past the point from your last state save, make a new state save, put Counter Factor back to 3, reset the ROM, and load the new state save. If you don't understand or want to to do this, you must leave Counter Factor set to 4."

Could this timing problem explain why I am experiencing problems regarding the Boss Keys?

I have tried lower CFs of 3 and 2 but to no avail please advise.

C.

Also try this cheat The Gentleman has kindly provided:

The Gentleman said:
Ok Curious, I couldnt do a all Keys But you can try this Great
"Free Pass (Access All Areas)" I think you will like it ;)
In fact put on Everything Donkey Kong\ & Infinite\
& i think you will do just fine.

Remember when putting on the "Free Pass (Access All Areas)" Codes on, Read the notes.
Ok Hope it helps You.
All the Best
Gent

Again thanks Mantis for all your work with the Donkey Kong issues.

All the best,

Curious.

Curious

In Case you are not aware of this

Hi Mantis,

Please check whether you have this problem when you face the boss for Gloomy Galleon. If not can you provide me an Eeprom Save after beating this boss. I feel the boss key situation is also CF related.

Thanks C.

Curious said:

Using the “Access All Areas” cheat I was able to enter Gloomy Galleon level.

Gloomy Galleon Boss (Octopussy)

Octopussy:
To beat this boss Lanky must speed his boat through DK stars as we know. In my games Lanky was only able to activate the pole form the first star. When speeding through the 2nd star – I tried this several times each time with in the time limit – nothing happens.

Since only one of the four poles needed to beat Octopussy activates, this boss can not be beat. Another glitch, another Boss Key not available!
:pj64:

KahnAbyss

Ive been able to beat every mini barrel games up till
Fungi Forest

but Gloomy Galleon is still a pain in the ass I'll post tonight all stuff Ive wroten till now to pass thoses places

Last edited:

KahnAbyss

For Gloomy Galleon

I did it with CF=7... but tell me more where you stuck since all of those looks like the same :)

For Fungi Forest

CF=7 Until you get to the 1st ring aim the bottom of the
"Cactus Ring" Then CF=8 Then when you see the barrel pause the game then save it from here its trial and error to get the good CF timing to get into the barrel... its really a pain in the ass
After that with CF=7 you should be able to get into the game barrel.

Greetz KahnAbyss

Last edited:

Curious

DK64 Issues

KahnAbyss said:
For Gloomy Galleon

I did it with CF=7... but tell me more where you stuck since all of those looks like the same :)

For Fungi Forest

CF=7 Until you get to the 1st ring aim the bottom of the
"Cactus Ring" Then CF=8 Then when you see the barrel pause the game then save it from here its trial and error to get the good CF timing to get into the barrel... its really a pain in the ass
After that with CF=7 you should be able to get into the game barrel.

Greetz KahnAbyss

I was able to get past the Fungi Forest Mini-Barrel using PJ64 on a CF of 3 & 4. I never had a problem with this one. I imported my PJ64 Save state into 1964 last night and was able to get half way through Angry Aztec mini barrel. The targeting is terrible I believe I will be trying for a while to finish this one, although it is encouraging too get this far.

I haven't tried Gloomy Galleon yet. My problem is when I beat the Angry Aztec boss no boss key appears. So I pretty much can not continue the game. Have you had this issue?

C.

KahnAbyss

Nah :( not really since I never got trouble with those keys
I usually play with Jabo D3D 7 emulate clear enabled
and CF-3 or Cf-4
Not sure but it may help

Kahn

Curious

Thanks KahnAbyss

Yes I use the same plugins and have experience the same problems with DK64 with 1964 & PJ64.

I have asked Mantis to provide me with an EEPROM save with BOSS KEYS from Jungle Japes to Gloomy Galleon.

Could I also ask you to provide me with the same EEPROM save if you wouldn't mind to do this for me. Please???

All The best,

C.

KahnAbyss

Hmmm I have eep files from 1964 but Im not sure they gonna work since Im not able to save into the game well at least with 1964
Ill have to give a try with PJ64 but for me DK is way too slow on it

Greetz Kahn

Curious

KahnAbyss said:
Hmmm I have eep files from 1964 but Im not sure they gonna work since Im not able to save into the game well at least with 1964
Ill have to give a try with PJ64 but for me DK is way too slow on it

Greetz Kahn

Hi Kahn,

A 1964 Save State would also be great!

Thanks,

Curious
:innocent:

KahnAbyss

Ok I'll do it tonight when I'll be at home but those save are kinda big I dunno if it will be handled by this forum
else I'll open an ftp at home for this with all Dk64 informations I've collected till now and maybe we should make a faq bout these barrels games on both PJ64/1964 since it didnt seem to be the same CF settings for those parts of game...

Greetz Kahn

Curious

Great

Thanks Kahn,

I look forward to getting the save state tomorrow. Thanks for this.

You can count me in with any help with the FAQ. I'm sure Mantis will be happy to hear about it too. The Mini Barrel games have been a preoccupation for Mantis for a while.

C.
:thumbsup:

KahnAbyss

By the way you got trouble to place the huge rock on the plate with Chunky in Angry Aztec?

I got able to do it but sometime the rock dissapear so I have to reload my game

Same thing happen with the big apple in Fungy Forest

Greetz Kahn

Curious

Chunky Kong

KahnAbyss said:
By the way you got trouble to place the huge rock on the plate with Chunky in Angry Aztec?

I got able to do it but sometime the rock dissapear so I have to reload my game

Same thing happen with the big apple in Fungy Forest

Greetz Kahn

Hi Kahn,

I haven't been able to release Chunky Kong because of my Boss Key problem. Please let me know when you can get me the 1964 state with the first 4 boss keys and I will check this for you.

Thanks,

Curious
:thumbsup: