What's new

Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA

Trotterwatch

I'll give it a try now Orkin - I'll edit this post with my results.

/Edit

Wipe transitions on 1080 do tend to run a little slow (using 5.3 drivers) but the slowdown is only for a very brief period of time (about a second in all).

Last edited:
OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like it might be a problem with my system. The framerate plummets to 6fps on mine and stays there through the entire transition and most of the intro.

Guess I'll double check my system settings...

Trotterwatch

Probably best to wait for someone with the same card as you before doing anything drastic ;) But yeah I think ATI have probably changed something that's causing it, their drivers have a habit of doing that.

I've got a small fraps video showing what it's like on my machine if you want it, should be less than 5 megs in size.

Last edited:
OP
Orkin

Orkin

I installed Catalyst 4.5, and the problem went away...so it appears to be a driver issue with the newer Catalysts. Now to find what I'm doing that ATI doesn't like...

Riven

Orkin said:
I installed Catalyst 4.5, and the problem went away...so it appears to be a driver issue with the newer Catalysts. Now to find what I'm doing that ATI doesn't like...

In 5.3 release they touched opengl 2.0 support. Nothing explained about directx support

OP
Orkin

Orkin

I found (and fixed, sorta) the problem. Detecting how much texture memory is available became MUCH slower on the newer Catalysts, and I was checking the available texture memory for each new texture. I've removed the check and everything's smooth again, but now I need to find a new way to manage texture memory...

OP
Orkin

Orkin

I just posted the latest build, check the first post to download.

OP
Orkin

Orkin

Sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft changed D3DX from a statically linked library to a DLL in the latest DX 9.0c SDK...I've reuploaded the plugin with the DLL included.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Orkin

Trotterwatch

Not sure if this is an issue with my graphics card (supporting up to pixel shader 1.4, but not 2.0)- but just in case:

Mario Tennis - in many ways this is better than other plugins running this game, except for the severe glitching of the players. Replays and the framebuffer style effects run very nicely.

Mario Golf - Missing some framebuffer effects and the course looked like it was sand instead of grass. Perfectly playable however.

Mickeys Speedway USA - gives me a strange error:

Executing from non-mapped space. Verify rom and rom settings

^The above I'd normally consider an emulator problem, except for the fact it seems to work fine with every other plugin.

I've tried many games and most run perfectly however :)

olivieryuyu

i've a lot of bugs with my geforce3 and it seems that there is an influence of the gfx plugin on the emulator, which is strange

OP
Orkin

Orkin

Trotterwatch said:
Mario Tennis - in many ways this is better than other plugins running this game, except for the severe glitching of the players. Replays and the framebuffer style effects run very nicely.
I noticed that while I was randomly loading up ROMs last night...it looks like there's a problem with the z-buffering and some blender errors, but otherwise it's nearly complete! I'll be working more on this one...

Trotterwatch said:
Mario Golf - Missing some framebuffer effects and the course looked like it was sand instead of grass. Perfectly playable however.
Hmmm...haven't looked at Mario Golf in awhile. I'll check it out.

Trotterwatch said:
The above I'd normally consider an emulator problem, except for the fact it seems to work fine with every other plugin.
Hmmm...looks like an overflow of some kind may be overwriting parts of the ROM? Nasty bug...

Persephone

First: Hello Orkin, i really appreciate your work :)

Second: i made a search but i did not find what do the following options: "N64 Color Image" and "N64 Depth Image". And i noticed there's a bug when i put "N64 Depth Image" on "Clear": when launching the title screen of Zelda OOT, when the camera approach the forest (just before the scene with the two sorceress) the sun keeps shining and it should not because the camera enters the hole. But it works fine when i choose an other setting.

OP
Orkin

Orkin

I guess it's about time I wrote a readme for this thing...for now, here's a brief explaination:

N64 Color Image:
Tell's the plugin how to handle the emulated N64's color image in RDRAM.
* None - Ignores the color image in RDRAM
* Clear - Performs clear commands on color image in RDRAM

Can normally be set to "None". May help with some un-emulated framebuffer effects if set to "Clear".

N64 Depth Image:
Tell's the plugin how to handle the emulated N64's depth image in RDRAM.
* None - Ignores the depth image in RDRAM
* Clear - Performs clear commands on depth image in RDRAM
* Render - Renders triangles to depth image in RDRAM

Can normally be set to "None". AFAIK the Legend of Zelda games are the only ones that require other settings. In these games "None" will make coronas and lens flares appear at random times. "Clear" will make coronas and lens flares always visible. "Render" will make coronas and lens flares render at the appropriate times, but may reduce emulation speed.

Persephone

Thanks, it's more clear to me, now.

[edit]: and yes, i think a little tiny readme could be good (it may avoid stupid questions).

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

As with Glide64 the Rare games (Perfect Dark, Conker, Jet Force Jemini) have problems with coronas afaik (even with render)

Last edited: