What's new

Cube SALES DYing

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Oh My God!!! Despite some beautiful games the cube is in big trouble! Approximatly 2playstations were sold for every Xbox and the Playstation outsold the cube by 15-1 - Nightmare for Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!

Remote

Grant64 said:
Oh My God!!! Despite some beautiful games the cube is in big trouble! Approximatly 2playstations were sold for every Xbox and the Playstation outsold the cube by 15-1 - Nightmare for Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!

Source?

Gorxon

Administrator
Have you been hanging around in #xbox again Grant64? >_<

You don't even tell in what country and thos numbers are redicolous (sp?) so I don't believe them til I see a source..

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
This is in the UK!!! Cube sales over christmas dived in a big way - At least that is the distribution figures that were aquired by my boss this morning! I Love my cube - All I can say is savour 2k3 cos at this rate Metroid Prime, Zelda - Wind Waker and Resident Evil could be some of the last jewels in the cubes beautiful crown.

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
PS - Has anyone played VF 4 on the PS2. OK The PS2 is not up to it visually but the game kicks ass! The sad thing about all this is I think of what GTA would look like on the visually superior XBox or GC. It would be a far better gaming expieriance

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Grant64 said:
oh and it is measured from Dec 1st 02 to Dec 31 02

Pretty vital month too, I predicted something like this would happen. I know both sony and microsoft will definitely be in the console business for years to come, nintendo on the other hand is in check. Where are you getting this information from though?

nycbeatatl

Lives in ATL, longs for NYC.
The UK you say? HMMM.... It doesn't suprise me much, it seems to me that Nintendo would be best selling in America and Japan. You never hear about British people playing video games. And you still haven't given a source...?

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I looked around and found that the xbox appears to doing way better than the gamecube despite what you may think...IGN sucks ass, but somebody pointed me to an interesting article they had reguarding this:

Xbox executives can pop a bottle of champagne. Apparently, people are diggin' the Xbox. The proof doesn't come from some over-enthusiastic PR spin or anyone's personal numbers. All you need do is take a look at the numbers and you'll see that Xbox is in the midst of crushing the GameCube.

According to the NPD Group, one of the most respected market research firms in the industry, November marked the seventh consecutive month Xbox outsold GameCube in terms of hardware and has outsold GameCube in software in all thirteen months of its existence. Selling nearly 500,000 consoles in November, Xbox nearly doubled its sales numbers from October. Xbox consoles have edged GameCube by 20% in total sales, a considerable gap, especially when you look at the great first-party titles Nintendo has managed to release this year.

In November, Xbox saw it's second best month of software sales to date, with 2.4 million units selling. That's 10% more than the GameCube, but still far below the might of PS2. In terms of GameCube versus Xbox, though, Microsoft's console has sold 34% more software overall than GameCube. The Xbox also maintains the highest attach rate to date for a console that's thirteen months old, with 4.7 games per unit sold.

Further proof of Microsoft's growing dominance over GameCube comes when comparing the two bundle offers. Microsoft's Xbox bundle that comes with Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future has outsold the GameCube Mario bundle by 335,000 units or 131%. However, it should be noted that the GameCube bundle is not nearly as widely available, which could contribute to the wide gap.

The GameCube is often saddled with piss-poor ports of multi-platform games and it shows in terms of sales. The Xbox has managed 58% greater third-party sales than GameCube according to Microsoft.

Though Microsoft has yet to come close to the PS2 in terms of installed base, the big MS can take comfort in knowing their online programs has bested PS2 from the get-go. Comparing their first month of sales, Xbox Live outsold PS2 Network Adapters by 14% and the three major Live titles (Ghost Recon, MechAssault, and Unreal Championship) sold over 300,000 copies combined in just the last half of November and managed an astounding attach rate of 80%.

With far bigger titles on the horizon for Microsoft next year and very few big franchises left in Nintendo's bag for 2003, it could be an even merrier X-Mas for Microsoft a year from now. Of course, we'll be back to let you know how this little ol' console war is turning out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, where sega is now, thats where nintendo will be in a few years.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
nycbeatatl said:
The UK you say? HMMM.... It doesn't suprise me much, it seems to me that Nintendo would be best selling in America and Japan. You never hear about British people playing video games. And you still haven't given a source...?
Japan, yes. <a href="http://xbox.ign.com/articles/380/380934p1.html">USA</a>, no.

EDIT : eeeek, it's the same article that AlphaWolf posted :) Oh well, but it's still a source...

Last edited:

Reznor007

AlphaWolf said:
I looked around and found that the xbox appears to doing way better than the gamecube despite what you may think...IGN sucks ass, but somebody pointed me to an interesting article they had reguarding this:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, where sega is now, thats where nintendo will be in a few years.

However, Nintendo is actually making a profit, whereas Sega was not. Worldwide, Nintendo is still ahead, and actually profits off the hardware, along with software. MS is losing money on the hardware, and then throwing in 2 free games...you have to wonder how they are still in the business (hint, has to do with extra $$$$$).

Buck_Bucholz

i like to put holes in my face
nintendo in trouble?

i dont think nintendo will go the way of sega.....they must have came out pretty good financialy after the whole pokomon craze.....little kids still like that stuff, and im sure gameboy still sells well. but then again i dont know.....only source i have is from when i worked at virgin and we couldnt keep gameboys on the rack...but then again that was a year ago .

Gorxon

Administrator
AlphaWolf said:

Well, that is redicolous. It is a known fact that Nintendo made more profit than both MS and Sony in the last financial period (we're talking about their console entertainment departments here, of course whole sony makes more money than Nintendo). Nintendo is selling shitloads of GBA's, and Pokemon is certainly helping.

blizz

AlphaWolf said:

you mean useless and pathetic? quite possibly, SEGA have been fucking stupid saying they want to compete with EA when although their sports games have been technically good and always received critical praise, they've never done the numbers, EA has managed to (somehow) make it's name the brand for sports games, but it's not like SEGA has been pushing it's talent in the right direction either, Panzer Dragoon Orta should be their biggest game in Japan, so following common logic as a third party company you'd put it on the most popular console for a win win situation, but no, they put it on the X-Box, I can only think of four guaranteed selling franchises from Sega, Sonic, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue (and that's a stretch for Shenmue considering it's sales)

it's not like Nintendo are doing much right either, look at Super Mario Sunshine, technically one of the best platformers out this year (beaten by Rachet and Clank imo) but it's just wrong, Mario isn't about him running about with a water pack on his back, it's about him working his way through really weird areas, stomping enemies and leaping and bouncing past strange obstacles, which is why the levels where you didn't have the water pack were great, the only two games that Nintendo have done right so far have been Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness, because both games are excellent (ok I've only played MP in an import store briefly but I got a good idea) not only are they good games, but they're both cool, Mario and Zelda aren't, with Animal Forest bringing up the rear because frankly that game is disturbingly fun all it needs now is graphics like Zelda and we're happy (that's where that cel shaded style fits better), the only other things going for the Gamecube are the "Capcom Five" and even then out of them only two will do amazing numbers if that,

I doubt Nintendo will go third party, it's not impossible but they'd have to swallow a hell of a lot of pride to do it, and the gamecube hasn't tanked as badly as the N64 ;)

Gorxon

Administrator
Blizz: you havent even played Zelda yet...it's just stupid to bash a game you haven't played no matter how "bad" the gfx may look to you...

and Alphawolf, that thing you posted was a press release from MS, slightly edited by the IGN Xbox reporters...of course it will favor Xbox when it's from MS. Just look at nintendos from the SAME month:

The November NPD report of sales data from American retailers shows that Nintendo GameCube jumped more than three full percentage points in next generation console share...while Playstation 2 increased two percentage points...all at the expense of Microsoft’s Xbox...which lost five points of the market.

Unit sales of Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft’s Xbox were dead even in November (468,000 units each) – despite Microsoft giving away two free games with their hardware.

Nintendo GameCube also showed the biggest jump in software sales, climbing more than 150% over October totals...compared to 97% for the Xbox and 48% for PS2.

With the smash entry of Metroid Prime, Nintendo GameCube is on track to have four new titles this year eclipse one half-million unit sales, while no new Xbox title has yet to reach that mark Both Metroid Prime for GCN (#2) and Metroid Fusion for GBA (#10) appeared among the top ten sellers for all game sales in November.

With sell through of 1.3 million units, Game Boy Advance was as popular in November as Playstation 2. Game Boy represents 33% of the total hardware market.

Nintendo held 46% of the total hardware share for the month of November, an increase of 11% over October. Sony held 42% (-6%) while Microsoft held only 12% (-5%).

blizz

Gorxon said:
Blizz: you havent even played Zelda yet...it's just stupid to bash a game you haven't played no matter how "bad" the gfx may look to you...

where did I bash it? the cel shading would fit better on Animal Forest no question about it,

it's become L33T to say "Don't bash it until you've played it." and personally that's just utter bollocks, you have to look at a game when you play it, so of course visuals come into it, if I'm going to play a game I'd better enjoy watching it in motion and the controls (which is why DMC is sitting at the bottom of my pile doing fuck all), and personally from what I've seen of Zelda: TWW I'm in two minds, some parts look brilliant but some of them are fucking stupid, it's called inconsistent and Zelda is showing it in the eye candy part, it's got the tweaked controls from TOOT so I've got a pretty fucking good idea of the basic gameplay right there, that's why I've revised my "Zelda will be good because it's Zelda" mandate, to "What the hell did they do to Princess Zelda?!!"

similary I've played Animal Forest, no doubting it's inspired, no doubting it looks like an N64 game, which just doesn't cut it anymore

mesman00

What's that...?
no matter what, Nintendo will always be the leader in the handheld market. so i don't think they will ever be just a third party software company, becuase even if they do stop making consoles, i don't think they'll stop making handhelds.