What's new

animal forest translation?

spoondiddly

Scratch that, I got it. It's something like:
"Somebody left this on my doorstep. I'm not sure why. Here, take it"

Those translators are more accurate when used with romance languages, or really western languages in general. Japanese utilizes homonyms and homophones so often it really buggers the things out. Makes for great poetry though. Doesn't help that there's three alphabets either. I mean, not only can a single kanji mean multiple things, more than a few can be broken down differently. Layer slang, silliness, and sarcasm on that and wow, you've just confounded half a continent.

Going back through mail. After testing a few items it turns out that the order is a little different. That's annoying.

X-Fi6

Ahaha, Babelfish's translation was "This But ミク say the っ densely the ちて it is it is in the ぼ obtaining You do not know everyone's don't you think? and. it lifts."

Not even close...

spoondiddly

My japanese sucks, but a phrasebook helps ;*)
Actually, it is correct because after a little poking I realized the offset binary being used chopped off the first entry! Nice to know. Fixed the extractor, then fixed the convertor (offsets to length, then back again), now fixed the input, and now into testing.

Apparently a 4-byte code is used to recall text in this game. Rather odd it is so large. They could have gotten away with two.

For the record, japanese is awfully similar to latin in sentance construction. Verbs at the end, but instead of endings to dictate state in sentences, it uses particle words. Often these translation tools erroneously translate the particle words, but these only dicatate what a word's usage and have no meaning of their own.

jensma

For we are many.
I started to learn japanese recently and realized that the grammar is hell fun :eek:)

It's damn easy, maybe the easiest language I learned in years.

spoondiddly

Okay, lets get things on track again.
Why this cookie-cutter operation is taking more than 15 minutes

There's a technical problem to take care of. Two really, and they're sort of related. Don't worry, it isn't a hard fix by any right, just a little time-consuming on my part. (it doesn't help I just finished cleaning out a worm...)

Okay, what's being done is most of the text from Animal Crossing is being dropped into Animal Forest. There's two parts to it, and the first is easy. There's a binary with all the text in it, and another that indicates where each line of text is in the binary. If you build up the table with the correct entries, the game 'sees' the strings and can recall them. That part took all of 15 minutes to do.

Reinserting it into the game isn't much more difficult. The tables are all the same size since only the original entries from the game will ever be refered to. The text binaries on the other hand are much larger, so instead of moving everything in the game around to accomidate them, they just get tacked at the end of the normal rom file. To allow them to be recalled, you change the rom address it draws the text from. Boom! Like magic, the binary works.

Here's where the fun starts.
See, there's another little aspect of this whole rom recall bit. In order to recall the text they use a 4-byte code. There's a table with the start and end codes for each binary (compressed and uncompressed) which then refers to the main rom table, so that way it knows which entry to pull. What it does is it compares the codeword to the start entry, then the end entry. If it fits within, then it converts it to an offset in the rom.
The trouble lies in how the text is recovered. Although the table indicates where in the binary the text lies, instead of directly adding this value to the rom address they convert it to a codeword, then do a lookup. That usually wouldn't be a problem, except that the text bank is vastly larger. The endpoint of the text binary would be larger than the start of the table bank value, so you'd get an exception and Pbbbt... the game screws up.

To make a long story short(ish), I'll have to trace the thing that forms the codeword and hack it so it instead directly recalls the binaries needed. Not hard, but time consuming.

The other trick, and it's a little more annoying, is that all character names in AF are 6 bytes long, not 8 like in AC. We'll either need to rename a few characters, hack it so it refers to a table instead of directly to the character name, or change every callword for their name in the game... Table is easiest -probably...

Oh, I'm thinking about making a few more minor changes as well. There are a few of those 7F/80 controls that could be hacked back in - most notably the one that decides AM or PM in a line of text. At the moment, 24hour military time is used throughout. It also would save the trouble of clipping al these command calls out. All that is after handling this textual mess.

Sorry it's taking so long... It'll get done.

spoondiddly

Mostly... There's also a few other little things. It wasn't noticable before testing a little further in the game that the ends of text blocks were 'clipped'.

Since there's no chance to fit these new text banks into the original rom size, they'll just get tagged on the end of the rom instead of replacing the originals. Replacement makes for a smaller and sleeker rom, but there's no point unless the text is condensed.

Most of the huge bank works now (accidentally corrupted the end), but there's a line overrun issue with two smaller banks. They test if the string recalled is too long and don't load it if it is. That's freaking weird... Aegh...

One annoyance has to do with the way names are recalled though. You can use a codeword to retrieve them, and since there isn't a table, AC codewords pull from an 8-byte bank and original AF ones from a 6. Aegh... In a way that's a good thing though, since just handling all the dynamic name insertion code can probably fix the 6->8 issue. -or be cheap and change all the AC recalls to 6.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Just wanted to say, many of us really appreciate the work all of you are putting into this! Great work!

Quite agreed.

I just wish there was more I could do, now... I feel really useless. :x Oh well, I guess I was able to help get the text files for zoinkity... That's something I suppose.

spoondiddly

Well...
All I'm doing is rearranging the text to fit into the game. As you've seen some lines from AC don't fit at all. If you can just go back through the list and change all the silly text, like change Animal Crossing to Animal Forest, GC to N64, etc, that would be great.

If anyone needs a text dump of any of the games with itemized line numbers, or tables with string size and offset, I've already started making those.

Sorry I haven't gotten more text in. The game isn't stable yet, crashing periodically when certain commands are used. Once that is sorted out I can send along something for testing, etc. It wouldn't be anywhere near complete but would at least give you guys a shot at editting the text to a final revision.

Again, sorry it's taking so long...

--------
Oh!
I am missing an AC item list. That's also a stupid table. Seemingly like the names they used a defined size with call. Well, that'll just need some hacking as well ;*)

Got most of the 'message' stuff working. That's the huge bank that defines pretty much anything said or written. There are a few command formatting errors and I've found at least a few spots where it locks or does other stupid things. For all intents and purposes, that block's a matter of polishing.

The string one is another story. It won't show anything past line 76 and can't say why. The mail block is clipped as well, but that's another story. The last five blocks are still being annoying.

Even with most of the dialog text working, the common crash points are really inopportune. One is on the train, another with Pel, and something Nook-ian. Plus, I'm killing all the lines that put the word 'Month', 'Day' etc after each line in the current day/time/town thing when loading a file. Like anyone wouldn't know anyway...
Of course, that also needs hacking. In AC some of the additional text is used to display the actual name of the month. Throughout AF, they always use a numerical value. So, more fun for me.

Last edited:

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Oh!
I am missing an AC item list. That's also a stupid table. Seemingly like the names they used a defined size with call. Well, that'll just need some hacking as well ;*)

I thought I sent the Item List over... It should be contained in... Uhm... "ac english foresta.rarc" for the English version, and in one of the "dnme forest*.rarc" files, for the Japanese. They're in the files I sent over on December 21st, 2007. In the English one, to find the items, try doing a text search for "apple", "orange", "mushroom", or "candy". Those should bring you somewhere near the top of the list.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear about all the progress; it's almost like the Smash Bros. Brawl blog, except without the amazingly majorly disappointing updates. ;P

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
OBJECTION!

I object to this thread's deadness! Therefore, at risk of being berated for double-post bumping, I... double-post bump this thread!

TAKE THAT!

FlotsamX

Ah, DAMNIT. The reason we didn't post in it is because we were readily anticipating an update. You have angered us, and henseforth shall be demoted as our Jester.

Entertain us, Jester.