What's new

animal forest translation?

zoinkity

You know, that would be nice.

Also, if it isn't a bother, it would be really handy to have the answer for the Reset Mole, not only to get past him without another reset, but also to help hack the answer ;*)

If they feel like translating any of the various menus that pop up, like the house one, birthday one, the map, etc, that also would be nice. Up until now a lot of that has been sort of fudged, quite honestly.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Also, if it isn't a bother, it would be really handy to have the answer for the Reset Mole, not only to get past him without another reset, but also to help hack the answer ;*)

If they feel like translating any of the various menus that pop up, like the house one, birthday one, the map, etc, that also would be nice. Up until now a lot of that has been sort of fudged, quite honestly.

Mr. Resetti's English answers, as well as the English strings for the house/birthday stuff (map names are stored in the same weird format in ACGC as in DnM64 :() should be found in "string_data.bin" in the stuff I sent you... and in "chr_names.txt" in the stuff you sent me. ;) I noticed the credits in Japanese in chr_names.txt, and I'm pretty sure all that stuff matches up to string_data.bin.

spoondiddly

Oh, the answers are off the list... That's good.

Uhm, well what I was actually refering to were the 'text as images' stuff, like the row/column thingy on the map screen (which actually says something like Acre at the top but probably - maybe - column on the bottom). That sort of thing. There's a special screen for the birthday, house, some freakish midget-baby thing, the text in yellow on the reset mole answer screen, and a few others.
It isn't that hard to figure out, but it would be nice to know what it really should be.

Last edited:

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Oh, the answers are off the list... That's good.

Uhm, well what I was actually refering to were the 'text as images' stuff, like the row/column thingy on the map screen (which actually says something like Acre at the top but probably - maybe - column on the bottom). That sort of thing. There's a special screen for the birthday, house, some freakish midget-baby thing, the text in yellow on the reset mole answer screen, and a few others.
It isn't that hard to figure out, but it would be nice to know what it really should be.

Now that I think about it... I'm pretty sure Resetti's yellow text is supposed to be "Say it!!". The one for the house, I'm not sure, but it's probably just something like "How much to pay off?" or something. For the birthday it's likely to be something to the effect of "When's your birthday?". I have no idea what the "midget-baby" is, it'd be cool if you could show me a picture... And about the Map screen, I think acres are split in to Letters (A through F) on the rows, and Numbers (1 through 5) on the columns. The only ones that I'm 100% sure on are the map and Mr. Resetti, though.

Volsfan91

Just wanted you guys to know that there are plenty of people (myself included) who really care about this project.

I'm keeping my eye on it and testing each and every patch in PJ64 1.7.0.49!

Keep up the awesome work.... I've got faith it can be completed. Hope everyone stays in good health and you guys make great progress.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Just wanted you guys to know that there are plenty of people (myself included) who really care about this project.

I'm keeping my eye on it and testing each and every patch in PJ64 1.7.0.49!

Keep up the awesome work.... I've got faith it can be completed. Hope everyone stays in good health and you guys make great progress.
Thanks for your support! We really appreciate it! (...and give me PJ64 1.7! :p)

happynewyearfromanimalfiw9.png

Happy New Year from the Animal Forest Team

Last edited:

FlotsamX

If I may submit a few corrections:

1. When refering to the time, the Japanese equivelents of "A.M." and "P.M." have not been translated.

2. On Nook's sign refering to how much he will pay for fruit, the top fruit names should be capitalised, such as "apples-100" instead of "apple-100".

3. In many cases, exclamations in conversation, for reasons unknown to me, have TWO exclamation marks.

Just trying to make it all the better. XP

Happy New Year!

Suppaman

Keep up the great work guys! We all really appreciate it. I have the game at home for the cube (or wii :p) but it would be great to have a portable version for the laptop in between lectures times. Thanks for all your hard work and best of luck with the project.

FlotsamX

Keep up the great work guys! We all really appreciate it. I have the game at home for the cube (or wii :p) but it would be great to have a portable version for the laptop in between lectures times. Thanks for all your hard work and best of luck with the project.

Well, Suppa: No$GBA 2.6 has 100% compatability with Animal Crossing: Wild World. But...

A: It costs $2.50.

... And nothing else.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Well, Suppa: No$GBA 2.6 has 100% compatability with Animal Crossing: Wild World. But...

A: It costs $2.50.

... And nothing else.

Heh, I'm personally not a huge fan of ACWW, which is why I'm continuing to wait patiently for more word to come through from "the higher-ups" (read: Zoinkity). :p

I personally want to be able to carry it around on my PSP using Daedalus. :)

Suppaman

lol it looks ok but its kinda buggy looking. I prefer the gamecube look more. Thanks for the heads up though. :p Once again good luck with the project! :S im trying figure out which plugin gets rid of that damned menu screen error :S

jensma

For we are many.
Hi there!

Is there any way to support you guys?
My command of english is quite bad, but I'm good at graphics. I tried to export the textures via "SpriteView", but the program just closes with a "Not enough memory"-Error.

Bad luck :(

Sooo, if I can be of any help, just contact me.

spoondiddly

Okay, so you're probably all wondering how far along this has gotten...

Here's the news:
select, super, superz, ps, and mail are all ready for insertion.

What's holding it up then, and why not a patch?
Okay, the reason there won't be interim patches is due to the extreme annoyance of fixing the mess doing progressive patches would cause. This should really be a 1-shot deal, fitting everything together like a glove. In other words, interim patches would make useless roms.

What's holding it up are three general problems. First is that there are three binaries from AC/DnM+ that are at least not found in the same context as AF. Finding them has been, let us say, problematic. Heck, they might not even exist. Oddly, there are three binaries from AF that aren't found in the later games apparently. This is probably not true; the script is probably incorporated into the other text banks in some way, just not directly.
Second is that the japanese from AF is more similar to the english of AC than with the japanese of DnM+. In other words, they redid a good portion of text when creating the expanded DnM+ *after* creating the translated game 0.o So in other words, you can't really compare the japanese to get your bearings without at least putting minimal effort into reading it. So much for a blatant copy/paste... My japanese sucks but at least I can make it out - usually. Slang really throws me off.
Third is that some stuff changed. It's decisions like "should we restore the personality types to blood types, despite them being used as personality types" and other such cultural issues related to localization. In other words, are we making an AF translation, or doing a DnM->AC project? Personally I'm opting the latter since it requires less effort and usually nets more varied text and responses. Where in AF you'd have a list of 8 identical responses, the later games have 8 different yet similar ones.

Oh, and I took a short vacation ;*)

<hr>
Jensma, if you made it this far, N64 graphics are a little screwy. They're more like sandard bitmap formats than other graphic types. The most common graphics used are:
15bit+1bit alpha images, both indexed and straight-up
32bit images, though AF rarely uses these. They can also be indexed
8bit greyscale, with a variation that uses 8bits for grey and 8 for alpha
4bit greyscale, also with a 4bit+4bit variation
3bit grey+1 alpha, which is what the title screen used.

Sizes are almost always multiples of 4 - usually multiples of 8 actually. 8x8 is about the smallest you'll see.
Indexed images can use either a 16 color or 256 color index. If you change the number of colors in an index that may need to be fixed when the thing is used. That requires hacking a display list usually. Smaller is okay, bigger less so.

Plus, greyscales can be colorized using the display list to set the 'black' and 'white' colors. The title screen shuffles through these, and I'm not going to go into the mess involved in doing two seperate lines like that.

There are quite a few graphics that are uncompressed. For instance, fish extend from F99A78-F9D170, wallpapers (64x128) from F547B0-F98010, carpets (64xsomething) ECBF30-F52790, 980AB0 has some character stuff like faces, etc.
However, there are also a slew of graphics in yaz0 compressed binaries all over. 921DF0 contains all the mailbox graphics, from the stuff for the bubble to the different colored scrolling backgrounds. 8E8F80 pops up all the different kinds of windows that use the insert text dialog, from the scary baby dialog to name entry to the reset mole. Others contain other things. There's images all over, really.

I've been using a hex editor to rip graphics, but then again how many people look at hex and say, "gee, that looks like a 32x32 16bit indexed image"? Never used spriteview, so can't say what could be up with it.

FlotsamX

Hey, I noticed something: when trying to play the proto-translated version with Direct64, it says unsupported microcode. Is there anything I can do?

And, can the translation be played on a real N64 via CD64?

jensma

For we are many.
I've been using a hex editor to rip graphics, but then again how many people look at hex and say, "gee, that looks like a 32x32 16bit indexed image"? Never used spriteview, so can't say what could be up with it.

*shrug*

Well, count me to these people :(

I have absolutely no clue what to do with the bunch of weird characters. Well, I recognized the BMP-like patterns, but I dont know what to do with it - I tried to copy snippets in a new file, gave it a BMP-header a.s.o. Quite noobish, hm :)?

Unfortunatly, I'm not good at those things.

FlotsamX said:
Hey, I noticed something: when trying to play the proto-translated version with Direct64, it says unsupported microcode.

This uses to happen when I try to play a NES-Game :(
And since my home has reached the biggest size, the game crashes when I try to enter it.

PS: Sorry for any misunderstandings, english is just my third language.

Last edited:

spoondiddly

can the translation be played on a real N64 via CD64?

It works fine on my Dr64jr, so it should run on any backup device or console. As for the microcode issue, you'd probably have to assault the guys who made the plugin. It should be something like ucode 04 if the documentation can be trusted.

Well, depending on the format you can copy/paste images into a BMP/DIB file. I usually go with targas myself, but you have to still know how its formatted. I think there's a texture-dumping plugin or two if you just want the images. With an image and a probable time when it was saved it can (maybe) be reconverted and saved back to a rom.

---------
update:
All but the largest text bank, one unidentified bank, and one line in mail is ready. How large is the largest text bank? About 4MB. It doesn't seem to line up between *any* of the games... Anyway, someone with a better grasp of the language can handle this line:

これ.ミクのいえのぼえにおっこちてたんだけど.だれのかわからないし.あげるね。

BTW, AC has two seperate lists of credits - english, and a translated copy of the japanese ones. That's so wasteful, I've gotta laugh~Hah!

Last edited:

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
All but the largest text bank, one unidentified bank, and one line in mail is ready. How large is the largest text bank? About 4MB. It doesn't seem to line up between *any* of the games... Anyway, someone with a better grasp of the language can handle this line:

これ.ミクのいえのぼえにおっこちてたんだけど.だれのかわからないし.あげるね。

BTW, AC has two seperate lists of credits - english, and a translated copy of the japanese ones. That's so wasteful, I've gotta laugh~Hah!
Glad to hear about the progress that's been coming~ And sorry about the Doubutsu no Mori E+ thing. I didn't know that its script was so different, personally. (Maybe if I had the original GameCube Doubutsu no Mori+ ISO...)

From my quick "Google Disintergration" of that line, it's unintelligble (but that's Babblefishing for ya). Also, I noticed that credits bit. Pretty funny, IMO. Though, I think we can use the translated copy of the Japanese credits directly... :p

FlotsamX

Babelfish is the most retarded translator I have ever heard... But, luckly enough, my cousin will be able to translate. I'll get that back to you.