What's new

animal forest translation?

DarkxHero7

Help

I don't know if I missed the read me file , missed instructions, or what.
I have no clue what to do with the "af strings". So could some explain to me what to do? I patched the rom but what do I do with the af strings?

jcsnider

Ummm...

Ok I have been looking for a translation for awhile, I havn't read all the pages so I could have easily missed alot, so I have a few questions, is this auctilly being translated? Is it alomst done if it is? Is there already a download?

Sorry for my stupid questions and thanks for any help I get in advance.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
DarkxHero7 said:
I don't know if I missed the read me file , missed instructions, or what.
I have no clue what to do with the "af strings". So could some explain to me what to do? I patched the rom but what do I do with the af strings?
You don't do anything with them, someone who has knowledge of how to insert them into the ROM and make a working IPS patch with that data (Hi there, ZOINKITY!
eyeshift2.png
) uses them.

Is this actually being translated?
Yes, right now, this game has already started being translated, though most of the people who were working on the project previously seem to have disappeared for the most part...
Is it almost done if it is? Is there already a download?
It's actually nowhere near done, textwise, we're only really just getting done with the intro portions. However, there IS a demo downloadable (in IPS format) at this link.

zoinkity

Yeah. hi.
Sorry, I've been ill. Is there something I have to do?

The font isn't final. I'm just cooking up a non-stupid way to jump from fixed to variable width and count from center. It's rather stunning how much is screwed up by the font hack.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Yeah. hi.
Hi. ^^;
Sorry, I've been ill.
And I've been really, really dumb... And now I'm feeling a bit embarrassed. Gwhee.
Is there something I have to do?
Well...
This does point out a serious problem though... Text patches probably aren't going to be portable for very long. The first person to translate something and shove it into a patch will break the next person who moves some text and translates that. Somebody is going to need to get all the translated text together, then compile it as a 1-shot deal.
I pulled the translated text from the GameCube Animal Crossing, control codes and all, though some of it isn't fitted to the Japanese events/holidays/etc... It's here: AF Strings
That's all it was, really... I shouldn't have gotten so impatient... :blush:
The font isn't final. I'm just cooking up a non-stupid way to jump from fixed to variable width and count from center. It's rather stunning how much is screwed up by the font hack.
Well, when you consider that it's a work-in-progress hack to a precompiled Nintendo 64 game, it makes a bit of sense... :p Still, I'll be glad to see this work coming to fruition soon. :) (and once again, real sorry for being so impatient... :blush:)

FlotsamX

I don't really understand... how much of it is done? The train intro? Well... couldn't you get alot of the translation done, not by trying to find fluent Japanese speakers, but by looking at Animal Crossing for the Gamecube? It'd be difficult to translate town-folk speak that way, but you could easily translate scripted events, like Jingle. And we'd be a little further on the way. ^.^

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
I don't really understand... how much of it is done? The train intro? Well... couldn't you get alot of the translation done, not by trying to find fluent Japanese speakers, but by looking at Animal Crossing for the Gamecube? It'd be difficult to translate town-folk speak that way, but you could easily translate scripted events, like Jingle. And we'd be a little further on the way. ^.^
*cough* Not to be rude, but you really should read the last couple of pages on a thread before posting. That's actually the ONLY source I use for translating text. In fact, I was able to concoct a nice little thing... basically the entire Animal Crossing script for using to translate Doubutsu no Mori... (the script of Animal Forest, save for a few choice things, is exactly the same as the script of Animal Crossing.)

So we only haven't really made progress because Zoinkity (the only person who can deal with the only slightly edited scripts i uploaded) has been sick for a while. I got sick after he got better, apparently. It's a bit silly. :x

Last edited:

yyhhggtt0

HUTTAH! IT LIVES AGAIN!

First off, I have an interim patch, combining Lysol's latest update with the variable-width font.

Second, I have a pack of WIP string data sets[B/]. It includes Mail data, Menu selections data, and mail strings.

Finally, I have a nice selection of Animal Forest GameShark codes by Mike007.

Now, praise me, give me sweets and flowers, and then get back to work. I know that's what I'm doing. Especially the sweets and flowers part. :p

~Aurakitsune

How do I get the data packs in the rom? Look at the bolds.

FlotsamX

*cough* Not to be rude, but you really should read the last couple of pages on a thread before posting. That's actually the ONLY source I use for translating text. In fact, I was able to concoct a nice little thing... basically the entire Animal Crossing script for using to translate Doubutsu no Mori... (the script of Animal Forest, save for a few choice things, is exactly the same as the script of Animal Crossing.)

So we only haven't really made progress because Zoinkity (the only person who can deal with the only slightly edited scripts i uploaded) has been sick for a while. I got sick after he got better, apparently. It's a bit silly. :x

Hmmm... well, there are 36 pages, you can understand why I wouldn't bother. XP

Well, I'm glad progress is going on.

mazzel114

Hi!

Before I begin: Sorry for bad English, I'm Dutch

Okay, are the animals gonna be translated? The things they are saying and so.

Great project though :happy:

spoondiddly

Everything will be, soon. There's a huge amount of text to be dropped in, and about the only thing holding it back is that I have no clue where one string starts and the next ends so I can't build a table for the insertion.

Ordinarily I'd do it myself, but the main text bank is over a megabyte large.

Patience! We'll get it all sorted out eventually.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Everything will be, soon. There's a huge amount of text to be dropped in, and about the only thing holding it back is that I have no clue where one string starts and the next ends so I can't build a table for the insertion.
Speaking of that... You should have a Private Message now. :p

FlotsamX

Wow... to think, we are THAT close to dumping all that text! There wouldn't be any... side effects to doing this, would there? Like crashes, GFX errors, slowdown, stuff like that?

spoondiddly

There wouldn't be any... side effects to doing this, would there? Like crashes, GFX errors, slowdown, stuff like that?

From dropping in all the text from AC? Well, nothing like slowdown etc. Assuming I don't botch the job and parse the entire table wrong, there really isn't much that could happen. Text retrieval isn't being changed, just the addresses used and the size of each.

Probably the worst that can happen would be:
1) overrunnning the dialog box
2) a mismatch between what string should be called becuase the order is different, ie. there's an additional string in AC versus AF
3) an invalid 7F command that could cause any number of effects.

That's what debuggers are for ;*)

FlotsamX

Well, you definatly seem to have put some thought in this!

Oh, and by the way, I have a cousin in Japan who is a big fan of Doubutsu no Mori, if you want, I could get him to translate the Japanese only events, if you want. ^.^