What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

_pm_ Super Smash Bros.

nico

hey, nin started a thread over at http://ssb.emulation64.com/ about this. everyone's really psyched about it, but we all kind of think the character select screen is lame. if you ask me, the pictures should at least be consistent. i was thinking of something a little mroe subtle. the original manuel artwork for this game was pretty tight. in any case, you guy's are freaking awesome.

off-02-01.gif
off-02-04.gif
off-01-02.gif
off-02-03.gif

off-01-01.gif
off-02-02.gif
off-01-04.gif
off-01-03.gif

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Nin_10_Dough said:
This picture is pretty close to the original pose in the game for Mario's character select icon. Of course it would need some work done to it.
sm64ost.jpg

My gripe about the character selection screen is that those icons don't even match each other, much less the game. If the color scheme of those matched the original a bit better, I'd be less skeptical. They are too bright.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash optimus$prime's work. Consider it constructive criticism.
Nice pic. About the comments, feel free to make criticism about the texture pack development. Also, as optimus$prime's said, this isn't final, so expect lots of changes.

About the characters textures you mentioned before, it seems that Rice's Video 6.1.1beta3 fixed the problem, so we'll probably start working on them too. I'll see if I can finally improve the main texture of Hyrule Castle (you know, the castle's walls).

Last edited:

optimus$prime

wow very nice

today i also thought about working on the large fonts
but i'm very busy at the moment, maybe i start working on new textures on weekend (Congo Jungle or Sector Z; i don't know yet)

optimus$prime

hi again!

i started testing with 2 new textures but there major grafic glitches. they are 400% then converted to original palette(like every ci i was working on). i never encountered such problems with zebes textures. i don't know how to fix that.

any suggestions?

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Wow, more stages textures would be fine. I think I'm going to work with Yoshi Stage. Did you try finding the missing Zebes' textures with beta3?

I tried to make some decent replacements for the remaining Hyrule's textures but no luck. :( Adding details to these textures without making the mirrorings noticeable it's a pretty hard work (at least for me, I need more experience on this). But anyways I'm happy to know that those textures can be improved now (thanks Rice!).

About the glitches you mentioned, make sure you are using 4X textures and that you are using 6.1.1beta3. If that didn't help, I have no idea. I'll see if the same happens here.

EDIT: Sorry, bad luck. :( Although I don't have that bottom glitch, take a look at the screenshot

PD: Damn, I need to correct those numbers. :yucky:

Last edited:

optimus$prime

_pm_ said:
Wow, more stages textures would be fine. I think I'm going to work with Yoshi Stage. Did you try finding the missing Zebes' textures with beta3?

I tried to make some decent replacements for the remaining Hyrule's textures but no luck. :( Adding details to these textures without making the mirrorings noticeable it's a pretty hard work (at least for me, I need more experience on this). But anyways I'm happy to know that those textures can be improved now (thanks Rice!).

About the glitches you mentioned, make sure you are using 4X textures and that you are using 6.1.1beta3. If that didn't help, I have no idea. I'll see if the same happens here.

PD: Damn, I need to correct those numbers.

i'm also using beta3 and 4x textures. the bottom glitch is because the "starfox" logo is also improved(only test).

and no; i didn't find the missing zebes textures :(

Last edited:

optimus$prime

textures that appear normal and mirrored in the stage don't work. the mirrored texture does not appear.

EDIT: same problem with samus' helmet texture

Last edited:

spork9

RU D0WN W1TH 00P?
When i use the new version of rice sometime the textures that are high res dont show up at all (either do the ones it replaces) any help please?

_pm_

Pathetic Member
optimus$prime said:
update! i switched from opengl to directx...

it works now :bouncy:
lol, I also had to switch back to DirectX due to that beta3 OpenGL bug. :(
Btw, the Yoshi Stage doesn't seem to cause any problems at all. :bouncy: Two screenshots for a before-after comparison. I wonder what could I do to improve that "plant" :huh:

spork9 said:
When i use the new version of rice sometime the textures that are high res dont show up at all (either do the ones it replaces) any help please?
Can you send some screenshots? If you see black areas and you are using OpenGL, try using DirectX.

C0bra

PhotoshoP PimP
_Chrono_ said:
i think he meant the screen that appears just before a battle. where it says like "Kirby VS Link"
nah i meant when ur looking at your stats and stuff from vs mode. tho that is a good idea.

btw, i use project 64 rather than 1964, so i dled 1964 and ssb wouldnt load. then the rice video thing wouldnt load either... idk, is there a step by step type thing for dumbasses like me? :paperbag: :canadian: :blush:

C0bra

PhotoshoP PimP
and on the yoshi screen and on what ive seen so far, the text hasnt been to my liking. *sorry* i just think that the text in the yoshi screen showing damage and stuff needs to be bolder and/or bigger. and the text from the biographies needs a different font. like arial or something, not times new roman or whatever. sorry, just my opinion.

and another cool thing to replace would be the player icons above the damage percent. i would suggest using stuff like mario's head from super mario snes and links head from alttp

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
C0bra said:
...i just think that the text in the yoshi screen showing damage and stuff needs to be bolder and/or bigger.
Actually, I think the text needs to be smaller and/or thinner. For example, the 0 needs to be narrower, like the original. What really need to be bolder are the drop shadows. :plain:

C0bra said:
and the text from the biographies needs a different font. like arial or something, not times new roman or whatever. sorry, just my opinion.
Well, I'm not happy with the bios text. I'll see if I can find a decent font similar to the original and rewrite that text... again. I'm too lazy to make those small fonts from scratch.

C0bra said:
and another cool thing to replace would be the player icons above the damage percent. i would suggest using stuff like mario's head from super mario snes and links head from alttp
Some days ago, I started working with the player icons but stopped after finding that the Yoshi icon caused major slowdowns in Yoshi stage (probably due to the different colors applied to the icons displayed). So I don't think I'm going to touch them for now (at least the Yoshi one).

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Optimus, did you try working with some characters textures? I was playing with Donkey Kong's fur and the difference is noticeable. Anyways, I wonder if I added too much noise to the texture? :huh:

EDIT: Second attempt with less noise :)

Last edited:

optimus$prime

_pm_ said:
Optimus, did you try working with some characters textures? I was playing with Donkey Kong's fur and the difference is noticeable. Anyways, I wonder if I added too much noise to the texture? :huh:

i looks very good; i think there is only a little too much noise

i found out that my first! texture i created for ssb is working now;
the helmet of samus aran (there is not much difference,yet):

Last edited:

elitejavi

it's-a me!
talking about character textures, is there something you can do with the poligon fighting team?
:icecream:
don't know what them are supposed to be...

seeya

Nin_10_Dough

*puts on glasses* ok, now I can see the difference in the helmet, the shading on the visor is the most noticable.

about the polygon team, the only thing that could really be done with them is to give them wireframe textures like melee.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
optimus$prime said:
i looks very good; i think there is only a little too much noise

i found out that my first! texture i created for ssb is working now;
the helmet of samus aran (there is not much difference,yet):
Looking good! Too bad you don't have enough green variations to reduce that dithering (in a single step), but looks a lot better anyways, good job. :)

Finally, I remade the DK fur texture by applying the original texture four times, a 0-degree (up) motion blur and a little noise, could you give it a try? (previous post, edited)

elitejavi said:
talking about character textures, is there something you can do with the poligon fighting team?
The fighting poligon team probably have textures as well, although I didn't search for them yet, so I cannot confirm. I'll look for them and see what I can do. :happy:

Last edited:

optimus$prime

_pm_ said:
Looking good! Too bad you don't have enough green variations to reduce that dithering (in a single step), but looks a lot better anyways, good job. :)

Finally, I remade the DK fur texture by applying the original texture four times, a 0-degree (up) motion blur and a little noise, could you give it a try? (previous post, edited)

thx

dk fur is now very nice. next step face hands....
wow there are so many textures from samus this will take some time

i finally got the "missing" zebes textures to work :cool: now i only need some inspiration for creating hires...