What's new

Why Linux sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allnatural

I implore the authors to register a project with SourceForge. Open source == community development and cross platform ports. There's no reason NOT to open source it except for vanity...
wanker

Slougi

Well I agree with him that open-sourcing the emu would be nice - but it's up to the authors to decide.

Quvack

yeah open source can be good :) its just a pain in the ass when there is the people who think that open source is always for the greater good, and complain about it constantly, in the end its the authors decision

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The main reason I like open source these days is because its the only software you can get that isn't either spyware laden or full of plugs for some other crap.

E.g. winamp is nice, but it loads a bunch of aol shit on your computer

Opera is nice, but it takes so much real estate on your desktop because of the banner crap

The list goes on.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Trotterwatch said:
I want the source code to this thread! Give it me now.

Fortunately for you, most browsers come with highly illegal web page auto-reverse-engineer modules built in. If you are lucky enough to be using one of these web browsers, all you need to do is find the "view source" function, usually prominantly displayed in one of the main menus. :p

That said, I'm a GPL fanboy, except in cases where the LGPL or a BSD license would better suit the nature of the product. :linux:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
I agree with you and with hacktarux post in the referred thread.....
Is nice to release the source code, but the author have the decision, even if I, someone or anyone agree with reasons of the author.....

and Linux don't sucks only because people like that. (vampire: you need to find a strong reason, pls) I see people like that everytime, in all streets of the world...Not only in linux world. Some people are extremely enthusiastic or a little "fanatic". I hate fanaticism is all scopes...... including in soccer :p

If you don't give the source code to me I will explode this server!!!!!!!!!! :D

aprentice

Open source is communism :p

Well, not really but what people fail to realize is the source is wholly the property of the creator, and noone has the right to even ask, question, or demand the source in any way.

Also on the side note, I agree some things should be open source, but some things shouldn't. If everything was open source, this would take away jobs from shareware application coders for example.

My two cents really.

My95ZR2

I think the Khan Artist should be banned for sharing methods of ripping a source from a document, kthxbye.

Adam
:p

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
aprentice said:
Open source is communism :p

Well, not really but what people fail to realize is the source is wholly the property of the creator, and noone has the right to even ask, question, or demand the source in any way.

You know what sucks though, is when you are working on a project that is competing with somebody else, and even doing far better than they are, and you freely give them advice/info, as well as an open source project, and when you ask them anything, they are intentionally vague, and keep their source closed. I've seen it happen before, in fact I was part of the open source project, and its pretty damn annoying, especially when the competing project is obviously based on other GPL'ed code that was simply rewritten (not even clean room either).

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Most of the times I've seen stuff go open source, it's because the devs are tired of making the app and are using it as a 'cop-out' to stop working themselves. >_>

Kethinov

Allnatural said:

Oh that's real mature, moderator sir. Yeah I realize bringing up old threads is somewhat rude, but no ruder than your comment, which should be obvious. I would have replied sooner, but I don't read this board very often. In fact, I would have missed this thread all together if it weren't for someone I know telling me about it.

Sure, I can expect to take that kind of crap from uninformed newbies, or generally ignorant people. But a moderator on a popular forum? You're supposed to be professional there, bud. And you know what else? You should have locked this thread a long time ago. The original thread was locked, so what gives this one a right to exist at all?

With that being said, I made my points very clear in the original thread and don't wish to rehash the debate with the original thread being locked and all. If anyone here thinks the debate is worth continuing, a mod can reopen the thread or we can take it to another forum where the administration is more professional. Frankly, if these are the kinds of people running emulation communities, it's a wonder we have success or respectful people frequenting at all.

A guy does his best to help people and promote open source and look at the crap he has to take. You should be ashamed.

edited for grammar

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

The thing is I think with regards to you and open source promotion, is you are too into it. Up to the point of criticising anyone who dares not open source there work.

As such I will turn your arguement about the type of people ruining emulation communities unto your direction, and state you are the type that are actually making people reticent towards fully embracing open source.

I notice you have a project that you haven't fully open sourced yet (been that way for a while). How come you haven't done so yet?

Edit/

I best point out that none of what I have posted is meant to have anything of a hostile or sarcastic edge to it.

Kethinov

Regarding my projects, it is pointless to open the source to something that isn't finished. It's like letting people eat raw meat. Best served cooked. My personal policy is whenever I release something that works, the source is included as well. When there are no binaries to release, there is no source to release. Unlike Dolphin, I don't make a habit of releasing a binary without the source.

Secondly, you can try to twist my words any way you please but that can't change the fact that everything I've said in the original thread has been civil, and I've been met with incredible amounts of hostility. It's ironic that you would claim that my behavior would make people only reject open source further. Maybe I should start calling people wankers are replying to everyone's posts with *sigh*, instead of using my usual point-by-point debating style and making a coherent case for my cause. That appears to be what respected people do around here. ;)

Finally, as I said in the original thread I realize that it is solely the decision of the authors regarding what to do with the code. I made my points on why they should open source it but I can't force them to do anything. There is no harm in a discussion, debate, and attempt at persuasion. That has been done, the result is clear, all sides have made their case, the authors have essentially made their decision. I think the moderator locked the thread at an appropriate time. Everyone had a say. That is why I find this sequel thread somewhat offensive. Stop picking at the scab. I made my points and the authors made their decision. Assuming you guys don't purge threads, it can be used for reference later. So leave it be.

edit
I best point out that none of what I have posted is meant to have anything of a hostile or sarcastic edge to it.
Which I respect. It should be fairly obvious who I'm talking about here. I haven't implicated you as being disrespectful or unprofessional. But when a respected member of the community and especially a staff member acts as such, it does speak for the whole to a more or less significant extent.

Last edited:

Alchy

Kethinov said:
Regarding my projects, it is pointless to open the source to something that isn't finished.
... and I'd guess that's exactly why the Dolphin team aren't opening the source of dolphin yet. This release was a teaser, nothing like a finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.