What's new

Snes9x 1.5 released!

Clements

Snes9x was updated recently and is available from ipher's mirror:

http://ipherswipsite.com/

Note that the Windows Port of Snes9x is no longer maintained, so the emulator is now Linux and Mac only. For the Windows version of Snes9x, try using Snes9x 1.43 improvement9 instead.

Changes:

* Pseudo-hires rendering flush, Old 2xsai endian fix (anomie)
* Added 'oops' auto-snapshot support (anomie)
* Fixed usage messages (Unix) (anomie)
* Old split-ROM-in-zip bugfix (anomie)
* ./configure fix for detecting libpng (anomie)
* Fix "no PNG support" error message (anomie)
* Anomie's control remapping patch (anomie)
* Support for IPS patches in the zip file (anomie)
* OBC1 savestate fix (Overload)
* Fix turbo frameskip, X11 keyboard auto-repeat, VRAM reads (anomie)
* Add some missing ifdefs (UNZIP_SUPPORT and ZLIB), from AaronOneal (anomie)
* Config file for Unix/X11 and Unix/SVGA (anomie)
* CPU instruction fixes (mostly emulation mode & timing) (anomie)
* Mode 7 fixes (anomie)
* Rewrote the renderer. Enjoy! (anomie)
* Correct-ish memmap boundary testing. (anomie)
* Add support for saner directory structures under Unix (anomie)
* Unix: Fixed detection of newer libpng (spotted by vapier) (PBortas)
* Added 4-point gaussian interpolation and proper envelopes many thanks to Brad Martin and TRAC. (zones)
* Fixed several sound problems. (zones)
* Fixed the memory access problem in C++ Super FX core. (zones)
* Speed adjustment of C++ Super FX emulation. (zones)
* Various timing fixes: NMI, IRQ, WRAM refresh, cycles per line, HBlank start, etc. Many thanks to byuu for much information. (zones)
* Removed some game specific hacks. (zones)
* Added partial Satellaview (BS) emulation. (Dreamer Nom, zones)
* Added the Katakana font for onscreen messages. (107)
* Updated JMA to v1 (Nach)
* Unix: Fixed JMA options in config (Nach)
* Unix: Removed --with(out)-asmcpu option in config because the i386 assembler CPU core is out of date. (zones)
* Unix: Changed the default settings in config. (zones)
* Updated porting.html (porting.txt) in sync with 1.5. (zones)
* Fixed buffer over/under flow due to incorrect logical operator in S-RTC code (byuu)
* Fixed HDMA flags bug. (byuu, anomie)
* Fixed bugs causing crashing in Unix. (Nach)
* Ported Snes9x to AMD64. (John Weidman, Nach, zones)
* Completed DSP-1 code. (Andreas Naive, Overload, Nach)
* Updated DSP-3 code. (Nach, z80 gaiden)
* Updated DSP-4 code. (Dreamer Nom, Nach, z80 gaiden)
* Overhauled BS detection. (Nach)
* Improved Unix portability. (Nach, zones)
* Fixed infiniti loop and invalid read bug in C++ C4 core. (Nach)

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
ScottJC said:
They must've come up with that idea of sheer brilliance in their sleep - "Lets kill off Windows support, despite that being our largest base of users" - what a great idea!

Way to kill off 98% of the people who would actually care Snes9x team. Only solidifys my favouritism of ZSnes. I mean seriously, this is like making a chocolate bar that everyone except diabetics are allergic to.

Although it affects me quite a lot (I don't use Linux or OSX), IMO they've done a great move against Microsoft monopoly.

Personally, since Vista req.-specs. and DRM policies were told I've considered moving to Linux or buying a MacBook.

If most Linux users keep Windows as a 2nd OS due to lack of games support, why not use Linux as an OS-for-emus (not literally, I think you'll get the point)?

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
ScottJC said:
As for vista, get real... you're going to upgrade your PC eventually anyway, as far as DRM goes... nobody is forcing you to buy drm products (songs etc). People make a big deal out of nothing.
Well... I got my legal copy of XP when I bought my computer and I don't like the idea of being spied with the WGA. I think WGA is the visible part of the iceberg-like Vista.

And don't say it's lazyness. People seems to forget that most emus are done by people with real life and that they give them for free.

I'd like to see the comments if it was the OSX version the one not supported...

WhiteX

hence the 9x.

I don´t care if it comes out for Windows or Linux and i also don´t care about their reasons to do so, i always liked ZSnes better.

Poobah

ScottJC said:
Ah, the paranoia is setting in nicely in our society... the OSX version not supported would mean well, hrm... nothing because nobody would care. I'm off to believe every bit of negative press I see about anything... because I don't have a mind of my own... wooo!!

At the end of the day, you'll have vista on your system I bet and on that day I will laugh - but back to the point at hand, No windows version of Snes9x shuns 98% of the people who would've used it in the first place... hence why I complained, it isn't a tactic against microsoft so drop that argument... regardless if your general fanbase can't use your product (freeware is a product of sorts btw) then theres no point making it in the first place.

Quite frankly I don't like their attitude towards the windows port, they basically said they want someone else to do it for them. Snes9x's original purpose was a snes emulator FOR windows, that's the irony.
You're right, but there's no reason to start flaming.

I always like ZSNES better, too. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The Windows port has been different from the other ports, which is why it needed a maintainer. But there is no maintainer, so they don't release it for windows. You could get the sourca and try to make it work... if the link to the source worked, that is.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
At the end of the day, you'll have vista on your system I bet and on that day I will laugh
I'm buying a Mac as soon as they release the new laptops with core2duo :).

Snes9x's original purpose was a snes emulator FOR windows, that's the irony.
You're right, I think that's fun.

I suppose since theres a port of OpenOffice for PC its a great move against the Linux world too isn't it? but wait... OpenOffice is also a third party app... my gosh! My point, it has nothing to do with getting revenge on Microsoft
Let's make a sequence...
1. Somebody has a Windows based PC (pirated Windows, of course, though he doesn't know/care).
2. He uses his PC to chat, surft the Internet, check his email, listen to his MP3, watch his videos, write some texts, etc.
3. At first he used his pirated version of MS Office (he can't afford paying for "just writing").
4. He discovers OpenOffice: he can do the SAME as he did with MS Office before.
5. He realizes he can do the SAME with a free SO, without being SPIED by a company, he won't be affected by virus, trojans, etc (I'm not saying Linux it's perfect, just that it isn't the target of hackers).
6. He can move to Linux without worries because he ALREADY knows how to use the software because he used them in Windows.

Yup, yup, I know it's not "good manners" dropping support of Windows release but, from my point of view, this could encourage some people to move to Linux (if it wasn't for some Adobe soft, I would).

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
I was under the impression it was simply that the people who used to work on the windows version were no longer there(I think the last was M Kendora, who left what...a year ago? 2 years?) And no one had come forward who had the time to work on this a lot, thus there is no windows update.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
I'll say it again, you're paranoid. If you think Microsoft are spying on you then you are deluded... do you really think they have the time to monitor the millions if not billions of people who use windows?

I'm comfortable with my legal copy (I doubt many people can say this) but also quite afraid of the rumours (in Spain we say "cuando el río suena es que agua lleva" which means more or less "if you hear some rumours is that they could probably be true").

what will they do to you if they are spying on you anyway? come arrest you? you're forgetting that Microsoft are not the police or the FBI they are just a corporation and they do not have that kind of power.
They say the next action MS could take is to block your comp if your Windows isn't legal. Of course they WON'T, because nobody could predict the results of such action.

From the very first day windows update was introduced people have thought Microsoft have been spying on them but nobody has been able to prove it. You're basing your entire belief against MS on some rumors. The Paranoid get more paranoid as time goes in reading news reports and other bullshit.
Microsoft admited spying http://www.google.es/search?q=ms+admits+wga

As for the virus thing, I won't deny that because Windows is so popular it is the target of a viral attack but you can put freeware anti-virus software on your pc anyway. Nobody is going to move over to linux because a couple of apps don't work on windows, get real there are alternatives that rival or beat anything that linux has.
Of course, but I can assure you some designers would think about switching to Linux if the Adobe suits were available for it. Adobe suits are more or less a "couple" of apps, and they have a HUGE base of loyal users.

ZSNES defeats SnesUnix(9x is now Unix imo) hands down.
I tried once ZSNES. I dunno wether it's better or worse, but the GUI is better in Snes9x (yes, because it's the same GUI as Windows apps).

Openoffice works on windows but I prefer office to be quite frank, its just better
Great point of view!!!! It's JUST better. Simply, clear... Nice! :)
You can read some reviews where they say that OpenOffice's Powerpoint is clearer and better than MS's one :).
I've been using OpenOffice since it was Sun's StarOffice 5.2 and NEVER regret not having used MS Office. I've only had a few issues with importing .doc, but nothing problematic. I've saved quite a lot of money and not lost productivity :)

Face it, windows aint going away and its pointless to argue about Linux vs Windows anyway.
Sadly true.
My final statement to you Swat_Marc is put your money where your mouth is and switch to a mac or linux now
I repeat: I'll do as soon as Apple introduces the new Intel Core2Duo in its laptops.

because you are clearly displeased with MS based on rumors and conjecture.
Check the link above.

I just think its stupid to abandon the Windows port when most of the people who used it are windows users.
Well... they do what they want, and if ZSNES is better...

End of rant and the end of my involvement in this thread - i've made my point and i'm sick of repeating myself to the paranoid.
Translation: I have The Reason, nobody else has!!!

Last edited:

Doomulation

SWAT_Marc said:
6. He can move to Linux without worries because he ALREADY knows how to use the software because he used them in Windows.
First I must point out that you're assuming all PC users are men, which they are not.
Second of all, this is hardly encouraging for Windows users. They won't switch to Linux, instead they'll complain: "Why is there no windows version?!"
And heck, I would like to say they are right. No one should be forced to switch OSi f they do not want to.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Doomulation said:
First I must point out that you're assuming all PC users are men, which they are not.
Second of all, this is hardly encouraging for Windows users. They won't switch to Linux, instead they'll complain: "Why is there no windows version?!"
And heck, I would like to say they are right. No one should be forced to switch OSi f they do not want to.
1. You want me to make clear difference between sex? Next time I'll put "she/he" instead, sorry :p

2. Yes, I know. It's more comfortable to stay stuck with the same, do what everybody does, why bother switching? Most users can do the same in Linux as in Windows (as I stated before). And, of course, nobody will move to Linux because of this emu.

Miretank

Lurking
As someone said earlier (sorry I am too lazy to go back last page and see who said :p) this only makes Zsnes the favorite emulator for us Windows users. I don't why the snes9x team got that decision but, oh well, I like Snes9x. Too bad I'll have to stick it up with the 1.43 version. :/

Doomulation

SWAT_Marc said:
1. You want me to make clear difference between sex? Next time I'll put "she/he" instead, sorry :p
You may also consider using terms such as "user" and "person" which are neutral.

And as stated earlier, the reason why there is no windows port is that there is no maintainer.

spiderman3

Nieve...
Well, If anyone REALLY cares about the windows port, they can do it themselves ( it is open source ). Personally, I dont care about windows, I run Linux ;P.

Miretank

Lurking
Well, If anyone REALLY cares about the windows port, they can do it themselves ( it is open source ). Personally, I dont care about windows, I run Linux ;P.
Selfishness is a sin, isn't it? :p

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
ScottJC said:
Ah, the paranoia is setting in nicely in our society... the OSX version not supported would mean well, hrm... nothing because nobody would care. I'm off to believe every bit of negative press I see about anything... because I don't have a mind of my own... wooo!!

At the end of the day, you'll have vista on your system I bet and on that day I will laugh - but back to the point at hand, No windows version of Snes9x shuns 98% of the people who would've used it in the first place... hence why I complained, it isn't a tactic against microsoft so drop that argument... regardless if your general fanbase can't use your product (freeware is a product of sorts btw) then theres no point making it in the first place.

Quite frankly I don't like their attitude towards the windows port, they basically said they want someone else to do it for them. Snes9x's original purpose was a snes emulator FOR windows, that's the irony.

I completely agree with you.