What's new

Snes9x 1.5 released!

Toasty

Sony battery
It's ironic, but I don't care too much one way or the other - gives me an excuse to set up a new Linux distro on my spare partition again.

xamenus

ScottJC said:
No, what they've done is sheer laziness, it has nothing to do with Microsoft Monopolys.
You have no idea what you're talking about do you? They would have released a Windows port, but it's not easy for them to do that right now. I want a Windows port, too, but calling them "lazy" is a bit harsh. Snes9x 1.5 is a major release; they worked hard on it.

From what I understand, the Windows code and the core code were more or less inextricably bound, making it difficult to maintain. It will take a bit of an effort to get new Windows code separate from the core code.

ZSNES which is considerably better than Snes9x anyway.
How would you know that? Have you tried Snes9x 1.5? From what I hear, it is a greatly improved version, with extensive CPU core updates and a new sound core. That means better compatibility, stability, and better sound (which is good news since Snes9x didn't have very good sound compared to other SNES emulators)

Oh, and I was recently told that the "9x" does not stand for "Windows 9x". A decade or so ago, two SNES emulators called "snes96" and "snes97" were merged into the emulator as we know it today, hence the "9x".

Last edited:

WhiteX

Have you tried Snes9x 1.5?

No, because it´s Linux only, if it was Win compatible,
all of us would have tested it.
I know that coders do that for themselves and ScottJC is a
little harsh sometimes and it can be a very good emulator but most of us won´t be able to use it.

Oh, and I was recently told that the "9x" does not stand for "Windows 9x". A decade or so ago, two SNES emulators called "snes96" and "snes97" were merged into the emulator as we know it today, hence the "9x".

I have never seen this information before, can you show where you took it?

WhiteX

Well, i did not knew that, i have only seen it as 9x, never saw any of the previous builds.

Allnatural

I should've closed this thread before it reached unbelievable levels of gheyness. My bad...

/closed

OP
Clements

Clements

Your bahavoir was totally unacceptable, but as you retract it I won't think too much of it. I find that any unnecessary bashing of decent emulators or developers hard work very offensive, and this thread was locked and had no control over it, I would have replied to this thread otherwise or made a staff thread about it.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Time to close the thread me thinks, this has gotten a little out of hand tbh.

As for snes9x I doubt the snes9x team will abandon the windows port for long anyway, most of their users use windows so i'm sure they'll demand it enough. I'd personally like one myself but beggers cant be choosers eh?

i'll give that linux thing a try thanks :)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Better idea, clean out the trash a bit, i'll help by deleting my posts except this one from this thread. I apologize for any hurt feelings and retract all comments I made too. I'd delete this one too but I feel as though I have to leave an apology. We could do with a fresh start for this thread.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
WhiteX said:
We have machines with power to run Snes9x on a Linux emulator for Windows, i think, why not give this bad boy (http://www.winlinux.net/) a ride.
It would actually help if the site worked and didn't spew out mysql errors. It can't be downloaded from there.
I tried a mirror but, what can I say? That installer was, like, borked. Literally. Is there not any other mirror? :/

WhiteX

It would actually help if the site worked and didn't spew out mysql errors. It can't be downloaded from there.
I tried a mirror but, what can I say? That installer was, like, borked. Literally. Is there not any other mirror? :/

Wikipedia has a link.

smcd

You could try installing linux into vmware or the like and running it inside there?

synch

I prefered to launch visual c and port it :D But don't get your hopes up, as I don't expect this to be finished soon, as I've got a major project in the works, that'll eat all my time (atleast, for the next 2 weeks).