What's new

Rice's Plugin Source <discussion>

mudlord

Banned
Hello,

I dont"t know if you're interesting by this, here some settings to improve some games :

- GT 64 Championship Edition (E) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- GT 64 Championship Edition (U) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- Mario Golf (J) [!] --> N64 Framebuffer --> Basic Framebuffer , Rendering to Texture --> Basic Render To Texture
- Mega Man 64 (U) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- Parlor! Pro 64 Pachinko Jikki Simulation Game (J) --> Increase Texture Rec
- Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyo Party (J) [!] --> IncTexRectEdge

Of course I am interested in this. :), I'll let Icono know of these updates :)

Good job it is a great plugin .
But could you host the files in a zip or rar archive (or make a self-extractor)?
Because I don't think that the "mainstream" pc user has 7Zip installed.

JHdD

You don't need 7-Zip...the newest WinRAR supports 7-Zip unpacking.

As for a self eextractor, I am pondering the use of a NSIS installer to be one (since they support LZMA compression)

Iconoclast

.zip format is the most widely supported, obviously, but has a relatively inferior compression for downloads. Trust me, it'll make your downloading life a lot easier if you get 7-Zip (7-Zip.org) or WinRAR; they compress better and decompress faster than Windows XP's built-in method.
Hello,

I dont"t know if you're interesting by this, here some settings to improve some games :

- GT 64 Championship Edition (E) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- GT 64 Championship Edition (U) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- Mario Golf (J) [!] --> N64 Framebuffer --> Basic Framebuffer , Rendering to Texture --> Basic Render To Texture
- Mega Man 64 (U) [!] --> Increase Texture Rec
- Parlor! Pro 64 Pachinko Jikki Simulation Game (J) --> Increase Texture Rec
- Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyo Party (J) [!] --> IncTexRectEdge
I do the INI configuration for Rice's Plugin. I already have quested to configure all versions (even hacked) of all 64 ROMs from #-Z, currently on D, and when I get to these games, I promise to take this post of yours into consideration. Thank you for your suggestion.

However, for Mario Golf, I have already set these the last time I tested this game. I have set rendering-to-texture to Basic & Write Back and am using the same setting for N64 Frame Buffer. Still, I will remember to revise this to lower settings if I find the minimum when I come to that game after the D-L games first.

I will be making configurations for 5.9.9 and Rice's Daedalus (games working better on these plugins than 6.1.1) as well, so hopefully these will be added to the Config archive in the release following my uploading them (merely a reminder).

As for a self-extractor, I thought of one suggestion. Maybe keep the .7z archive but have an additional installer for the plugin that automatically moves all the files to the right directory? I know somewhere you should be able to get the software to make an installer like that, though a self-extracting 7-Zip obviously won't do it.

Best hopes for the vindictive return of Rice's Video Plugin.

Last edited:

Cyberman

Is it possible to put another compilor into the chain than VS2005? If I remember correctly you can alter the tool chains. GCC has a much better back end for optimization. I know that using MS intrensics makes REALLY bad MMX code too. If one could use the GCC compilor to make the whole thing I suspect you would have less optimization issues. Of course then you have to worry about all the MS specific code you dumped into the plugin. Nothing is easy is it? :D

Cyb

mudlord

Banned
About 2-3 weeks ago, Rice was telling me that you can use VS2003, since thats what he used when he was maintaining the plugin.

What I am waiting on (and I bet others are too), is for Hacktarux to release his Linux port of Rice Video, which uses GCC. I bet from that, we can unify sources, and then we both have a much better method on maintaining the code for open source compiler systems like mingw/GCC :).

EDIT:
Maybe keep the .7z archive but have an additional installer for the plugin that automatically moves all the files to the right directory? I know somewhere you should be able to get the software to make an installer like that, though a self-extracting 7-Zip obviously won't do it.

NSIS uses LZMA.....(same compression as 7-Zip), and it has worked great in the past for me as a installer system. I don't really see the harm in writing a installer for things....:)

Last edited:

Cyberman

WARNING WARNING DO NOT POST on the DEVELOPEMENT THREAD

Read that again. Do not post on it unless you are the developer(s) for the plugin. From now on you will get points for doing so. I repeat you have NO excuse for disreguarding the rules stated in the thread. DON'T POST ON IT. This means YOU. Unless you are part of Emutalk staff or on the developement team DO NOT POST IN THE THREAD. It's VERY hard to keep the thread short and too the point for people to find the plugin and read the developement and changes on the thread if you indiscrimently post on it. This is very RUDE behavior and disrespectful of the hard work mudlord has put into the plugin, if he has to moderate he's wasting time dealing with childish behavior instead of doing what he needs or wants to do.

This thread EXISTS so that thread has pertinent information to people who are using the plugin only. Discusion of the plugin belongs here, this includes QUESTIONS and coudo's. It's nice you compliment mudlord but don't do it there, that actually makes things messy for him.

Mudlord asked NICELY once, now you continue to disrespect his request and ignore the notice near the first post in the developement thread. So now we have to do things the hard way.

Cyb

Last edited:

Sirmatto

What I am waiting on (and I bet others are too), is for Hacktarux to release his Linux port of Rice Video, which uses GCC. I bet from that, we can unify sources, and then we both have a much better method on maintaining the code for open source compiler systems like mingw/GCC :).

He did say to ask him if he forgets, since it's something he's been meaning to do ;)

JHdD

Tutorial Writer
If I start Project64 I get this error:
Failed to load the plugin C:/Program Files/Project64 1.6/plugins/RiceVideoStable.dll

Last edited:

Cyberman

Yep, I gave him a nice and friendly reminder a few seconds ago 'bout the source code release...:)
Luke... use the source. :D
Well I know how it is to forget things. So this is understandable, but I doubt he has the same problems I do. LOL

mudlord

Banned
Luke... use the source.
Well I know how it is to forget things. So this is understandable, but I doubt he has the same problems I do. LOL

Classic line from a classic movie. Ah the memories...but then forgetting things is part of being human. We all stuff up sometimes, anyway.

If I start Project64 I get this error:
Failed to load the plugin C:/Program Files/Project64 1.6/plugins/RiceVideoStable.dll

Installed the MSVC2005 SP1 runtimes by any chance?

Cyberman

Classic line from a classic movie. Ah the memories...but then forgetting things is part of being human. We all stuff up sometimes, anyway.
Unfortunately yes. However that's what other people are for, to compensate for our own .. uhhh what was I saying? :D

I believe an installer for the plugin might be a good idea, it would save people the hassle of unziping a package and finding where to stuff everything. It may be necessary in the future as well since there is likely to be more than just a DLL to deal with. Inno Setup is very good (combine that with a DLL dependancy walker and you are in business) though I don't like 'EXE'cutable installers, they are darn convienent.

Back to doing 'STUFF' :D

Cyb

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Yes, that is what I suggested from before.

Maybe give an option between a .7z file containing all of the files and an installer that puts the files in the right directory and gives you an option of which components to install? ("I don't the damn debug version!") Or that is by giving an option I mean attaching both.

mudlord

Banned
I believe an installer for the plugin might be a good idea, it would save people the hassle of unziping a package and finding where to stuff everything. It may be necessary in the future as well since there is likely to be more than just a DLL to deal with. Inno Setup is very good (combine that with a DLL dependancy walker and you are in business) though I don't like 'EXE'cutable installers, they are darn convienent.

Back to doing 'STUFF'

"Through the miracle of science, that can be arranged!"

- Dr Farnsworth, Futurama

EDIT:
Back to doing 'STUFF'
I have to clean up general things a bit more in that area too in regards to that "stuff", depends on how busy (or lazy...) I am. That installer took around 1/2 hour to fully script and do all the GFX, and from my testing, seems very rock solid as a base. I'll upload the scripting for it, later....(uses Nullsoft Install System, I don't really like Inno Setup's script format, mainly because I am used to NSIS :geek:)

Back to work for both of us, hey Cyb? :)

Maybe give an option between a .7z file containing all of the files and an installer that puts the files in the right directory and gives you an option of which components to install? ("I don't the damn debug version!") Or that is by giving an option I mean attaching both.

Hmmm, figures....PJ64 1.6 and 1.7 are around 2.3MB, and I don't hear dialup users complaining..okie dokie, what the hell :saddam:

Yay for simplicity! (we'll need it.....plus it lets me track how many people got thier hands on it)

Last edited:

Cyberman

"Through the miracle of science, that can be arranged!"

- Dr Farnsworth, Futurama

EDIT:

I have to clean up general things a bit more in that area too in regards to that "stuff", depends on how busy (or lazy...) I am. That installer took around 1/2 hour to fully script and do all the GFX, and from my testing, seems very rock solid as a base. I'll upload the scripting for it, later....(uses Nullsoft Install System, I don't really like Inno Setup's script format, mainly because I am used to NSIS :geek:)

Back to work for both of us, hey Cyb? :)
I've made some progress now with the db Engine so there is hope at the end of the tunnel. I just wish he would stop blarring his stereo! :D I've been so tired lately it sucks. I have too many things going on at once in my head. PSoC I2C SQL C++ m8C I2C bootloader ARGH.

Ahem Ok I feel better now. Glad to see your installer is working. A single installer is awesome with choices too. :D

Cyb

total_n00b

n00b but no spammer
first of all, sorry for my bad english and if this question was already asked please don´t delete this entry

how can i use rice´s video correctly to bring rogue squadron running?
i have directx 9 already, but i really don´t know how to use the plugin
is there anywhere a crashcourse?

mudlord

Banned
I've made some progress now with the db Engine so there is hope at the end of the tunnel. I just wish he would stop blarring his stereo! I've been so tired lately it sucks. I have too many things going on at once in my head. PSoC I2C SQL C++ m8C I2C bootloader ARGH.

Coolness! I might add a extra tab in the config to allow for the new retexturing/filtering capabilities....I still gotta fix up completely the 1.7 issue, tho debugging that has proven to be quite a large PITA...especially when the emulator deadlocks the whole system.....

Ahem Ok I feel better now. Glad to see your installer is working. A single installer is awesome with choices too.

first of all, sorry for my bad english and if this question was already asked please don´t delete this entry

Nah, its ok. I only get really peed off if people post in the stickied thread, who are not authorised to do so (the EmuTalk staff are perfectly fine to do so, also people who are on the team are fine as well....)

how can i use rice´s video correctly to bring rogue squadron running?
i have directx 9 already, but i really don´t know how to use the plugin
is there anywhere a crashcourse?

Iconoclast can answer this better than I can, since he did testing with this game.

Basically, atm, it is unplayable in Rice Video.
This is due mainly to the fact the game uses a custom heightmap microcode. The game basically takes a 2D monochrome texture, and applies elevation calculations on the co-processor, using the texture as a guide in where to calculate. This creates the 3D terrain in the game (Wikipedia has a great article explaining how heightmaps in general work).

However, Rice Video doesn't emulate this technique. Which means, the ground and possibly other things, is not emulated. Which makes the game unplayable. Your best bet for this game is to:

A) Use the PC version
B) Use a LLE video plugin

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Yes, that's right; no three-dimensional objects will show in Rice's Video Plugin, only two-dimensional.

If you really want to see how it's going in Rice's, just download the RiceVideo6.1.0.ini file to the Plugin folder.

Also, LLE graphics plugins probably look worse on this game than the one that comes with Nemu64. Your best way to emulate this game is to install Nemu64 and disable Audio HLE from the Debug menu. That's as closest to playable as you're ever going to get in emulation of the game.