What's new

RiceDaedalus 5.3.1 and (reloaded) source code

Rice

Emulator Developer
RiceDaedalus 5.3.1 and source code (reloaded)

There won't be another release in the near further. Version 5.3.1 will be the last one in this period of time.

Changes in 5.3.1 over 5.3.0:

- Reported GUI problem fix
- Improved OGL 1.2/1.3 combiner. (Still not good enough yet)
- Bettle Adv. Racing texture fix
- All-Star Baseball games field texture problem fix
- All-Star Baseball menu text
- More manual combiner setting for Zelda and Pokemon 2
- Source code is cleaned for release

Changes in 5.3.0 over 5.2.0:

- Improved 2-stage combiner with manually configurated combiner settings. It is working not bad on my GF2 MX400 with the latest driver. You don't have to downgrade your driver in order to use TNT combiner for you TNT, GF2 MX cards any more. This combiner should also work fine on other older video cards.
- The manually configurated combiner settings also helps 3-stage, 4-stage and high-end combiners. (If you still have combiner problems, try the 2-stage combiner)

Fixes:
- Conker, almost
- Dr. Mario
- Super Bowling: the splitted screen problem
- Zelda: Japanese character problem
- N64 frame buffer setting: with emulator

Getting better:
- Mario Tennis player shadow for non-TNT combiners
- Many games are getting much less combiner problems:
Zeldas, Goldeneye, PD, Mario Tennis, Conker, Kirby, JFG
Tooie, Paper Mario, RR64, Castlevania 1/2, DOUBUTSUNOMORI
DKR, F-Zero, ROCKETROBOTONWHEELS, POKEMONs,
MULTI RACING, KING HILL 64, Grand Prix, HSV ADVENTURE RACING
G.A.S.P, GAUNTLET LEGENDS

(I don't see any unsupported combiner modes with 2-stage combiner anymore.
In any other word, the 2-stage combiner should work fine for most games.)

Known problems:
- OGL 1.2/1.3 combiner, texture 1 did not work. Not fixed yet. Please use OGL 1.4 combiner if you can.

Rice

Regarding the source code:
- Please let me know if you are planning to port it or to use or refer it in your own code
- There are many changes recently for frame buffer features. Frame buffer feature is working in DirectX only, not in OGL
- There are not significant changes in OGL code and OGL combiners
- Frame buffer features are not stable enough, could causing system lockup and even reboot on certain video cards.
- You are welcome to work on the source code.
- Email me for further questions and suggestions.

>>> Source code is reloaded, to add .rc file <<<

(You can create a "rice" folder in your C driver. The plugin will then be able to log unsupported combiner modes into a log file in the folder. This won't affect your game. Send me the log file and I will manually create settings for the unsupported combiner modes.)

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Hrmm, 5.2.0 seems to work a bit better on my ATI, but i might need to play with it a bit more, at least I can see the pills in DrMario now, but i get pill trails and the backdrop is still gone.., getting there rice, very nice work as always.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
This is on my work system, GF4 MX420 Detonator 45.23 (yes they need an update, hehe)

Using Limited 2 stage combiner most games look fantastic! (sorry for the small pic but I gotta hide my gaming at work ;) )

Clements

Conker is now almost flawless. In this shot I'm using OpenGL (defaults). Shame Conker's Eyelids are missing (eyelids are present in Direct X, but pretty much the rest of Conker becomes invisible), and the Rare logo at the start is a bit off, but overall it looks great. Apart from Jabo's, no other plugin runs it properly, until now.

rcgamer

the old guy
oh yeah pokemon stadium 2 seems to work a lot better now as well . dont know if it was just my settings before or what.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Clements

I guess you should blame Nvidia about their inconsistency DirectX combiner mode supports in the driver. Here is a shot from my GF2 MX400 with the DirectX 2-stage combiner on driver version 53.03.

Last edited:

desertboy

Xbox N64 Emulation Fanatic
Lordy lordy.

Just as I was getting into surreal64 I go back to my pc to play N64 games. Damn you Rice I may well never leave my room again.

EDIT: Just noticed pilotwings looks a hell of a lot better in directx than before but a hell of a lot worse in opengl. I'm going to bed but in the morning I'll have a little play and pop off some screenshots. Using standard settings, european rom.

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Thanks Rice for the CBFD support.............. :D

but i still get the sky problems (in D3D limited 4 stage)
opengl mode is much better now
and mario tennis runs fb effects only in render-to-txture mode, render-to texture faster don't works for me........

2 little problems (is my machine?) in conker.....
1. intro in D3D at 24VI/s (in ogl is at 60VI/s)
2. see the screenshot

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Nighty0 said:
Thanks Rice for the CBFD support.............. :D

but i still get the sky problems (in D3D limited 4 stage)
opengl mode is much better now
and mario tennis runs fb effects only in render-to-txture mode, render-to texture faster don't works for me........

2 little problems (is my machine?) in conker.....
1. intro in D3D at 24VI/s (in ogl is at 60VI/s)
2. see the screenshot

Nighty0, you are all correct.

* Mario tennis needs render-to-txture, otherwise shadows of turtles and bombmans won't work.

* I can understand that D3D 4 stage combiner may have problems. Manually configurated combiner settings will be used only if the automatic combiner setting won't work within the stage limit. The automatic combiner setting compiler might work nonperfectly for 4 stages but it generates setting within the 4 stage limit. In such a case, the manually configurated setting will not be used. It is too bad that I don't have a 4 stage video card, so I cannot debug it. You may try the 3-stage or 2-stage for such games. In general, 4-stage combiner will be better than the 2-stage combiner + manually created combiner settings.

* Conker intro uses frame buffer effects which is supported in DirectX mode, not in OGL. This is the reason that OGL may be faster than DX at the intro. For conker, frame buffer effects and conker shadow does not work any way. You may try to set "N64 Frame Buffer" = "Hide" to speed the game up.

* Conker grass may be using frame buffer effects (Render-to-texture). I am not very sure. I know it does not work, will look into it later.

Kunio

LazerTag said:
This is on my work system, GF4 MX420 Detonator 45.23 (yes they need an update, hehe)

Using Limited 2 stage combiner most games look fantastic! (sorry for the small pic but I gotta hide my gaming at work ;) )

Any chance you could post your settings? I'm having no luck getting Dr. Mario to work still I have tried everything. I am running on a Geforce 4ti. It seems only people with MXs are not having problems run it.

I have tried all the combiner settings, but the background is always messed up, it use to display as garbage but now its displaying as white.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Set "N64 Frame Buffer" = "With emulator".

Or just use the INI file from the zip to replace your own INI file.