What's new

Reasons for saying no to Xbox just about down to zero.

UltraThing

I own the Gamecube and love it, and I'm no big fan of Microsoft, but my personal reasons for not buying an Xbox during the past year have been fizzling over the past few days.

First, the controller - I had the opportunity back in the summer to play on a friend's Xbox pretty regularly for about two months and the dang controller was enough to make me hate the thing despite the games. My hands are not small, but I still got cramps from even less than an hour of playing. Now M$ is going with the so-called Controller S, which appears to be none other than the Japanese controller. I was in a Circuit City a few days ago and wanted to give Sega GT2002 a try, and the kiosk had this new controller. I loved it ... nuff said.

Second, the games - since the Gamecube is my first love it will still be the primary console in my home. My son and wife like to play too and besides the games we're getting for Christmas there's Zelda and FF:Crystal Chronicles early on '03 to buy. Which means I won't be able to buy an awful lot of Xbox games even if I do have one. For a long time I think it was a valid criticism that Halo was about all it had going for it, but that has changed. With the current bundle, which includes Sega GT2002 and JSRF, plus maybe Splinter Cell and Halo and/or Morrowind, I should have my hands full for some months to come. It may not have the catalog that the GC or PS2 has, but there's enough good stuff to keep me happy.

Third, my DVD player's on the fritz - one of the reasons I admired the GC and bought it last year is because it was a game console and nothing else. But in the last month or so my DVD player has started to skip and jump when it gets hot ... usually about 2/3 through a movie. With the Xbox selling for $200 including two games, it doesn't hurt that I'll get a stopgap DVD player for an extra $30, even if it isn't on par with the top 'o the line DVD players on the market.

Fourth, Xbox Live - I was pretty skeptical of this and essentially ignored the news about it, but since launch I've been reading the opinions of the subscribers and for the most part they love it. And, it appears that it works and is practically lag free. And to top it all off the deal is reasonable. At least for the first year, anyway.

So, as much as I have resisted during the past year, I am now at a loss for reasons NOT to buy the daggone thing. I don't know if the right thing to say is "I have seen the light" or "another one bites the dust," but I am all but sure an Xbox will be under our tree this year. Right beside Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, and SMB2. :holiday:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
yeah i aggree with you on that one, me at first i wasn't interested in the xbox at all, only thing i wanted to play was halo and thats it. (been wanting to play that since i saw a demo of it, when it was going to be for the pc). After hearing about rare being bought by ms and seeing or hearing some of the mmorpgs being made which will actually be action mmorpgs (when you think about it), kinda like what i had in mind plus i hear rare is making an mmorpg thats being co developed by the teams whom made conkers bad fur day and perfect dark. Anyway my point is that i too am disliking the xbox less and less. I just can't afford it lol i already have a gc and ps2 anyway. >_<

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I suppose the domino theory should apply to corporate warfare as well? :devil:

All's fair in love and war...and microsoft doesn't believe in love ^_^

(*_*)MARK

SEE YOU L8TER MASTERB8TER
by UltraThing

Starfox Adventures

All the other games like metroid and smb2 rock, but star fox im tellin ya it isnt that great or good... well its completely sh@t in other words.

It looks nice especially the dragon boss, but the game has sooooooooooooooooooooooo many faults like the tasks are like really manky versions of zelda oot tasksand theres toooo many of em, the fighting has no skill you just bash the a button till its dead, the last boss sux, theres no replay value or extra stuff when you complete the game and the worse of all when fox gets an item he does a zelda type dadadada thing but with a look that hes gonna cream himself over it.>_< :saint:

Macca

I have nothign against the box personally but the simple fact for me is that there are no games that i would like that are exclusive. I'm not saying that the box has no games, just that no exclusives that i would ruch out and buy. This has always been my reason against the box, and until games of my preference are released, will stay that way

OP
UltraThing

UltraThing

Hey (*-*)Mark, yeah I know I've read all about StarFox. I wouldn't buy it if it was all up to me, but my 10 year old HAS to have it. If he plays it, then I don't care if the reviews suck. The little runt's a true gamer, though, so I hope his love of the game lasts. By true gamer, I mean he'll spend an hour playing Super Mario Sunshine, then get on the PC and fire up the NES emulator for two hours of old school. You don't find too many 10 year olds like that. Last I checked he had over 50 shines in SMS, and that's all on his own with no walkthrough or guide.

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Well, if you're going to buy one, get Deathrow. The best piece of pseudo sports game I've ever played.

OP
UltraThing

UltraThing

Yes, DuDe, that game does look pretty cool, and pretty original in concept, too. Thanks for the tip.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
UltraThing said:
So, as much as I have resisted during the past year, I am now at a loss for reasons NOT to buy the daggone thing. I don't know if the right thing to say is "I have seen the light" or "another one bites the dust," but I am all but sure an Xbox will be under our tree this year. :holiday:

Yeah, I was like you. I bought one with my housemates, mainly for JSR Future and for Panza Dragon. And because it was cheap. :plain:

Would never recommend one to anyone though. :p

blizz

The only game I like the look of for the X-Box is Panzer Dragoon: Orta

Starfox: Adventures is style over substance, roll on Starfox Armada

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
xbox has fallen within my price range...(I won't pay more than $150 for a console, same way I wont pay more than $200 for a video card)

Josep

eyerun4phun
yea, the place i'm going to buy the x-box from just opened! $149!!:) Looks like i'll be getting a dvd burner for christmas!:) whoo hoo:holiday:

mesman00

What's that...?
UltraThing said:
Hey (*-*)Mark, yeah I know I've read all about StarFox. I wouldn't buy it if it was all up to me, but my 10 year old HAS to have it. If he plays it, then I don't care if the reviews suck. The little runt's a true gamer, though, so I hope his love of the game lasts. By true gamer, I mean he'll spend an hour playing Super Mario Sunshine, then get on the PC and fire up the NES emulator for two hours of old school. You don't find too many 10 year olds like that. Last I checked he had over 50 shines in SMS, and that's all on his own with no walkthrough or guide.

i hope your son does other things that sit in front of video games all day!

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Josep said:
yea, the place i'm going to buy the x-box from just opened! $149!!:) Looks like i'll be getting a dvd burner for christmas!:) whoo hoo:holiday:

grrrr *loads up double 9mm berretas* and just where are you loacated again?....

:devil: :term:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Josep said:

See, don't you just love stiff competition? Things get cheap. Now when you get one company that owns it all, they have a product that they could make double revenue from at $45 per unit, but they sell it retail for $300 instead. (for the slow, I'm talking about windows xp)

Hopefuly things stay this way.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
UltraThing said:
...controller. I loved it ... nuff said.
Great! Add another £30 on the price of the Xbox just to make it playable... oh, and £30 for the essential DVD remote.

Second, the games - since the Gamecube is my first love it will still be the primary console in my home. My son and wife like to play too and besides the games we're getting for Christmas there's Zelda and FF:Crystal Chronicles early on '03 to buy. Which means I won't be able to buy an awful lot of Xbox games even if I do have one. For a long time I think it was a valid criticism that Halo was about all it had going for it, but that has changed. With the current bundle, which includes Sega GT2002 and JSRF, plus maybe Splinter Cell and Halo and/or Morrowind, I should have my hands full for some months to come. It may not have the catalog that the GC or PS2 has, but there's enough good stuff to keep me happy.
Sega GT and JSRF - DreamCast "ports/upgrades". Been there, done that. Halo - old, vastly overrated. Splinter Cell and Morrowind? Hardly "must play" games unlike, say, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion...
Third, my DVD player's on the fritz - one of the reasons I admired the GC and bought it last year is because it was a game console and nothing else. But in the last month or so my DVD player has started to skip and jump when it gets hot ... usually about 2/3 through a movie. With the Xbox selling for $200 including two games, it doesn't hurt that I'll get a stopgap DVD player for an extra $30, even if it isn't on par with the top 'o the line DVD players on the market.
And for those of us with working DVD players or DVD ROM drives.... *indifferent shrug*
Fourth, Xbox Live - I was pretty skeptical of this and essentially ignored the news about it, but since launch I've been reading the opinions of the subscribers and for the most part they love it. And, it appears that it works and is practically lag free. And to top it all off the deal is reasonable. At least for the first year, anyway.
Been and done that with the DC too, could even surf the `net outside of M$ approved zones, look what happened there. Metroid Prime is outselling any of the `Live games in the US, and 99% of the UK or anyone lacking broadband will get zip out of `Live. The DreamCast rate was reasonable, had little to no lag (ah, the carefree early days of PSO... happy memories.)

So, as much as I have resisted during the past year, I am now at a loss for reasons NOT to buy the daggone thing. I don't know if the right thing to say is "I have seen the light" or "another one bites the dust," but I am all but sure an Xbox will be under our tree this year. Right beside Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, and SMB2. :holiday: [/B]
Great! Expect to be selling it off to fund the habit when Zelda hits tho`... ;)

blizz

I recommend Morrowind for the PC because you can Patch it, it's one of those games which is meant to be a PC game only, like most FPS' and RTS'

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
blizz said:
I recommend Morrowind for the PC because you can Patch it, it's one of those games which is meant to be a PC game only, like most FPS' and RTS'
I think I meant to say that somewhere... tiredness wrecks the mind, but then that's what getting up at 5am to watch the latest Buffy ep` is all about. ;)
The XBox is undoubtedly THE console...

...For cast-off games and ports, that is.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
Re: Re: Reasons for saying no to Xbox just about down to zero.

Stalkid64 said:
Sega GT and JSRF - DreamCast "ports/upgrades". Been there, done that. Halo - old, vastly overrated. Splinter Cell and Morrowind? Hardly "must play" games unlike, say, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion...

That's just an opinion. Please stop stating your opinions, so they look like facts because they are not...
Other people may not think Pikmin, Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion are must play games. Opinions.....