What's new

Possible UltraHLE enhancements

OP
Romboy

Romboy

http://www.stormfront.org
Yes I undersand, but if you do that compatabilitly suffers greatly. It's just the way the world works.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
ryukenden said:
Corn is fast due to using dynamic recompilation. It would be nice to see another dynamic recompiling nintendo 64 emulator. Interpreters are far to slow. Trying to run n64 software even on my machine should be a breeze, if it were recompiled for the cpu. It's a shame we don't see recompiling emus more often. They certainly are faster.

Corn uses static recompilation. All of the other major N64 emulators (with the notable exception of Apollo) use dynamic recompilation.

OP
Romboy

Romboy

ryukenden said:
It doesn't have to suffer however if you do it correctly.

If it wasn't that hard someone would have done it by now. Obviously the programmers know more than us. So I will leave it to the pro's.

Heres an idea that I have never seen brought up...
why not dynamically recompile the rom images themselves and then store them as machine executable code that only requires a loader? Has anyone thought of that? (Yes I know that this would be hard, if not impossible but yeah)...
but then again this shouldn't be impossible considering the emus are possible...
but yeah if the code was stored after being recompiled it would save having to do that on the fly and increase speed possibly etc etc but yeah someone is gonna flame me for this so see ya later

OP
Romboy

Romboy

That would be extremely hard, it's basicly making one emu per rom. When you program a emulator and make one game work some other games might use some of the same features. Thus if you did this it would be a waste of time as I see it. You best chance for people to program uhle to support some if any of the things I said in my first post.

yes, i never said it would be easy lol...
and no not an emu per rom lol it would be like compiling java source code and then needing an interpreter (JVM etc etc) basically it would be like a NVM (N64 virtual Machine)...
basically you just use the techniques of today's emus which recompile the code anyways...
bah never mind I tire of arguing about things...
seems like thats all this is anymore...
sad truly sad
but yeah I still think UHLE should be advance

OP
Romboy

Romboy

thedaemon666 said:
yes, i never said it would be easy lol...
and no not an emu per rom lol it would be like compiling java source code and then needing an interpreter (JVM etc etc) basically it would be like a NVM (N64 virtual Machine)...
basically you just use the techniques of today's emus which recompile the code anyways...
bah never mind I tire of arguing about things...
seems like thats all this is anymore...
sad truly sad
but yeah I still think UHLE should be advance

I think if the authors did that the whole emulator would be illegal, then I don't think they would do that.

Yes well yet another fish doesn't really understand what i mean ??? there would be no emulation to it hahaha just executable code and a loader...
and yes it would prolly be illegal, but since when does anyone listen anyways in this scene? considering if you have a commercial rom you are already committing a crime, not to mention some people here have warez copies of OS's (not all mind you)...
but yeah either way...
thanx Stez
maybe I'll make this new wave of Software lol...
not bloody likely, too busy making my rpg muhahaha

and Romboy, I do understand the concepts of emulation and the development of one, I have been in this scene for about 4 - 5 years now :p I started out with good old nesticle for dos (Nesticle Ownz and is very 31337 lol but i use fceUltra for better support etc) but yeah I've been around to watch zsnes grow, long enough to watch hle grow than fall and crash and then be ressurected again

OP
Romboy

Romboy

thedaemon666 said:
and Romboy, I do understand the concepts of emulation and the development of one, I have been in this scene for about 4 - 5 years now :p I started out with good old nesticle for dos (Nesticle Ownz and is very 31337 lol but i use fceUltra for better support etc) but yeah I've been around to watch zsnes grow, long enough to watch hle grow than fall and crash and then be ressurected again

Nothing personal but I just wanted to point out that your idea yet good would lack in certain ways. Look upon the bandwidth because you have to distribute each ROM and look at how many there is. Take Goodtools, it surely shows you how many versions there are. Possibly you have to have the rom first and then somehow make the loader load the ROM and make it into a loadable .exe program. However there would be many ROMs you would need to load if you had a large amount.

The next argument would be from Nintendo would think of this worse than Ultrahle. Ultrahle didn't have the roms in where it could merge with it and work as easily as running an application. Basically the application would still be an emulator it runs the ROM it would only be merged with it, in a sense.

If you had so many of these applications you would need an extra application to pick which game (ROM) to play which I see as the same thing as any other emulator out there. Why go to the work when other emulators do the exact same thing?

Once again nothing against you, I see what you mean it would be then even easier for Newerbies (Not a word I know.) to do it. If it isn't already tooo easy as it is.

I stumbled upon my first emulator back in late '98 and before then always said wouldn't it be cool if you could play (insert game here) on the computer. From then on It has always amazed me and I might wish to give back something in the future if possible.

Last edited:

cold1

zelda master!
i say just fix the gfx errors in diddy kong raceing.and than just make a all in one gfx system , using glide, opengl, and directx!