What's new

Possible UltraHLE enhancements

Romboy

http://www.stormfront.org
Since the leaked release of the UltraHLE source certain new features are possible however it would seem only fair to ask the authors about using their code before doing any modifications. Below are some features that would be very nice to add. Hopefully I can put it down in a way that most (intelligent) people can understand.

1. Video
 Better Glide support (glide3x, glide2x)
 Opengl support
 Direct X 8 support
 Video Plug-in support

2. Sound
 DirectSound via Direct X 8
 Sound Plug-in support

3. Controller
 Built in configuration
 Input Plug-in support

4. Core
 SupraHLE enhancements
 Pentium 4- Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 enhancement
 Athlon XP-3DNow Professional enhancement
 Several bug fixes (sound skips, etc)
 Zip support
 Space support from Dave2001
 New GUI

I would like to tell you that these aren’t a request, just a list of possible enhancements (thus the title). If I have anything wrong please tell me and I will change it so it will be correct. Hopefully this may give a good outline.

Don’t flame me, I am just trying to help in one way I can.

This is in all utmost respect to the coders of Ultrahle/Suprahle.

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
lol, thats a lot to rely on. that would be hard for an emu programmer to do that, to add support for glide3x. if it would do that without a v3fix a lot of people would be downloading (also for the dx and ogl support) the sound is the worst though :sleepy:

OP
Romboy

Romboy

Well, no buddy said programming was easy. Besides that this is just an outline that I made so that it could possibly be helpful for Dominator.

later

Another annoying thing is that UltraHLE doesn't support spaces in the rom/folder names.

Dave2001 created this fix, hopefully someone can implement it and release a new .exe file!

changed the "rom" command to:

else IFIS(p,"rom")
{
p=param_w_spaces(&tp);
print("note: Loaded rom image from '%s'\n",p);
boot(p,0);
}

& added this code near the normal param function:

// like the above, but allows spaces; for filenames
char *param_w_spaces(char **tp)
{
static char buf[256];
char *d=buf,*s=*tp,*end,*last;

*buf=0;

// skip space
while(*s && *s<=32) s++;

// find last non-space character
end=s;
last=s;
while (*end) {
if (*end++ > 32) last = end;
}

while (s < last) {
*d++ = *s++;
}
*d = 0;

*tp=last;

return(buf);
}

Ruesselschnurps

The Mad Wombat
Let UltraHLE Rest in Peace !
Its History, and the source code was leaked. The Authors neither wanted to continue it nor the source code to be released !

OP
Romboy

Romboy

Originally posted by Romboy
Since the leaked release of the UltraHLE source certain new features are possible however it would seem only fair to ask the authors about using their code before doing any modifications.

Did you miss this?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ruesselschnurps said:
Let UltraHLE Rest in Peace !
Its History, and the source code was leaked. The Authors neither wanted to continue it nor the source code to be released !
Agreed. Let uHLE rest in peace.

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Now back to the topic, if anyone check out the file "ULTRA.H", it is very well documented, and I notice this paragraph as follows

Quote:
Here's some misc info in random order, I was planning on writing more but then I though you'll probably want the source earlier with less docs than the other way around Just do an email with a lot of questions and we'll sort things out that way. If I try to write a manual for this thing, it'll take ages.

I wonder all the documentation notes including this paragraph was written by the authors (which probably was because I don't think anyone but Epsilon and Reality Man would know so much about the code, again please see "ULTRA.H"), so all I can guess is the code were originally meant to be released, but somehow Nintendo got in the way and hence all things were put on halt. I haven't read thru all the code so I am not sure if any IP of Nintendo were infringed. It is in my understanding that N64 doesn't use BIOS, and HLE intercepts the API call of N64 software (code/binary resides in the ROM) and translates them into Win32/Glide API call, it probably has nothing to do with the hardware but the N64 system/software API.

I just thought I should post this, in case you guys missed it. ZeroOw [spelling...] posted this earlier. And, it makes sense, to me, anyway...I think UHLE should be continued by Dominator, and not by anybody else, because he knows so much about it from his experience hacking it. Well that's my opinion.

crhylove

Banned
well...

besides the fact that it was *probably* leaked by an orig. author...

i say do what you want with it based on pure ethics anyway.

if the original authors DON'T want it worked on, then they can tell us so personally, but since they haven't...

it's just abandonware.

and since dom/dave2001/others are working on it anyway, it's NOT abandonware anymore.

and now it's as good as their project.

do i say "don't code" because the original author of the fortran language abonded the project and/or died and/or retired?

that's just stupid.

intellectual property is a myth.

get used to it.

rhy

oh yeah, and if it's YOUR intellectual property, unless someone is making a profit on it, QUIT WHINING!

OP
Romboy

Romboy

I agree Dominator should still code it, he did such a good job on Suprahle already, but if I rememeber correctly he said that he might get some new people to help him work on it.

Last edited:

songoku

Black Swordsman
Romboy said:
I agree Dominator should still code it, he did such a good job on Suprahle already, but if I rememeber correctly he said that he might get some new people to help him work on it.

Completely agree.
The only thing I'm worried about is that only ONE team starts to work on an official version, and eventually someone can suggest to add his/her modifications. I wouldn't be glad to see several (goups of) persons developping different things from the same source, particularly if they should decide to distribute it under the same name ???. So, I'd like that someone starts as soon as possible and take the name of Official UltraHLE (of course, if someone capable to do it has also the will to do it), so we can be sure (I hope) not to get different stuff under the same name.

VoodooX

VDX ini Creator
Daymn!

Look why all the confusion?

I think several things have already been decided:-

1. ultrahle is dead as a project and sould been considered so.

2. Supra hle will continue using ultras source code instead of reverse hacking.The main coder is as we speak looking for help with this.

And finally why are people so keen to see ultra die? Its still the only emulator that plays full speed With sound on low end systems.

EMULATION SHOULD NOT JUST BE THE RESERVE OF THE RICH!!!

songoku

Black Swordsman
Re: Daymn!

VoodooX said:
Look why all the confusion?

I think several things have already been decided:-

1. ultrahle is dead as a project and sould been considered so.

2. Supra hle will continue using ultras source code instead of reverse hacking.The main coder is as we speak looking for help with this.

And finally why are people so keen to see ultra die? Its still the only emulator that plays full speed With sound on low end systems.

EMULATION SHOULD NOT JUST BE THE RESERVE OF THE RICH!!!

I think thatif Dom willusethe sources to improve Supra wouldn't be so different than develop UHLE sources under it's old name... Yet, someone thinks since UHLE is too old to be also good, the better thing to do is let it RIP... anyone can have the idea he prefers, I don't think the same way, tho'....

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
Dabba_Deh said:
I just thought I should post this, in case you guys missed it. ZeroOw [spelling...] posted this earlier. And, it makes sense, to me, anyway...

Nice quote. Don't worry about the spelling. :D
Now that all the threads in SupraHLE forum are deleted, this serves to preserve my input on the matter, thanks :colgate: .

crhylove said:
besides the fact that it was *probably* leaked by an orig. author...

I have my doubts here too. :innocent:

if the original authors DON'T want it worked on, then they can tell us so personally, but since they haven't...

it's just abandonware.
and now it's as good as their project.

I think the point is to respect the authors, and don't steal or hijack others' project and claim it as your own. Modifying others' project without authorization is one thing, claiming credits as your own project without mentioning the original authors is another. UltraHLE was NOT for sale, so there's no money/interest issue here, but I think the integrity of crediting the original authorship is important - for any type of project, pro bono or commercial.

do i say "don't code" because the original author of the fortran language abonded the project and/or died and/or retired?

that's just stupid.

intellectual property is a myth.

get used to it.

rhy

Well, I suppose there's a balance (and perhaps constructive interactions, too) to be maintained between the interest of software producers and consumers. But I still believe programming and writing software is hard work, useful and respectful. The corporations which sold the software and the licensing terms they devised might subject to dispute, but who's the owner and creator of the software, and their rights on the code over a certain period of time, that I think should be clear and truthfully respected; otherwise no one will want to create his own project/software only to be stolen away - without any compensation (to support one's life or maintain ones career/resume at the very least) at all.

Speaking of SupraHLE, I noticed from the Company homepage that v1.14 is coming. Might be a few surprises for us from Dom... ;)

Last edited:

Sukh

Long gone...
[Martin64 Style Shameless Plug]
Whatever is happening, please use MagicInstall as an easy method of distributing UHLE + :)

[/Martin64 Style Shameless Plug]

M

mann

linker said:
Doomulation said:
Agreed. Let uHLE rest in peace.

* linker shoots Doomulation.
Let Doomulation rest in peace.

lol, :happy: dont kill ultra very easily it can beat all the emulators and it would be badass if it had a bunch of new features

LReyome27

Proud Nintendo FANBOY
I dont see why UltraHLE has to die. Its the only one I can run on my system:

Intel Celleron 233 MHZ
Voodoo 3 2000
SoundBlaster Live!
256 Megs RAM

:ultraHLE: