What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Possible new way to texture Mario Kart Characters with zip

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

I have not tested with gliden64, just glide64. Perhaps it is the filename suffix dealing with the alpha transparency that it is misinterpreting.

jfields687

I think that's a great idea! As much as I love playing the fixed kerb pack, his awesome hi res textures make the untouched original character sprites look even worse, which was actually the inspiration for me to find a way to do it. Having it as one pack would definitely make it more accessible for people.

Thanks for the positive feedback! :D I really enjoyed fixing Kerb's textures and stuff. I definitely would like the see the merge of both packs happen if it's possible. Thanks for getting the characters fixed up! I can't wait to try it!

OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Thanks for the positive feedback! :D I really enjoyed fixing Kerb's textures and stuff. I definitely would like the see the merge of both packs happen if it's possible. Thanks for getting the characters fixed up! I can't wait to try it!
Have you had a chance to try it out?

jfields687

Have you had a chance to try it out?

Yes I did, but I had significant problems with the plugins loading all the textures so I had to do 1 character at a time. They look good, but Yoshi seems to have a helmet or something lol and it seems to have some graininess, but still some excellent progress!

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Title screen

@CCTEX
I have been playing around with PhotoZoom and I decided to try upscaling the title screen.
Here are the results. (Please note that only the background has been changed, none of the other textures are affected.)

Attachments

• Glide64_MARIOKART64-cctex-.gif
    Glide64_MARIOKART64-cctex-.gif
    421.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

If youre so inclined, send me the dumped texture and ill take a stab at it to. My hiatus has been too long lol

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Raw dumped title screen textures.
These textures are extremely hard to work with do to the size and amount of files.
You will not be able to see much of a difference until the textures are loaded in PJ64. A lot of guess work. :)

I have intentions on upscaling the whole game using PhotoZoom only.

Attachments

• Mk64 title raw.rar
    156.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

Thatd be cool, ill do it with you if you want. As far as the title screen, for photozoom s spline to work correctly, the textures would have to be composited into 1 image in an editor, upscaled in PZ, then split off again in an image editor, because the algorithm is semi content aware.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
For photozoom s spline to work correctly, the textures would have to be composited into 1 image in an editor, upscaled in PZ, then split off again in an image editor, because the algorithm is semi content aware.
Ill set up a Project thread.

Err, S spline seemed to work correctly. Did it not? I batch processed all 120 files with the algorithm.
"Compositing" would require the HighResEaser tool and Photoshop. Which takes a bit of time to mark and arrange 120 files.
I would prefer finding one setting that upscales everything at the same rate, this will essentially transform the game to HD without drastic editing.

Last edited:
OP
CCTEX

CCTEX

S spline worked, but if you notice, it wasnt able to remove the jaggedness completely on a lot of the edges. This is because it processed the images individually without any spatial context. Its definitely improved, but it would be significantly better if processed as one, then split up. Does that make sense? Ill check out that program you mentioned.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Ah, you are right. I was looking for a quick and simple process without involving HighResEaser.
I would recommend learning how to use it as it is a valuable tool. It will take about 20 mins to learn to use. Be sure to specify an output folder as to not modify original dumps.

In order to compile these files they must be marked with an identifying code. This will not help our current cause as it must leave an unsightly code on each texture.
Once the code is written it can not be removed from the file.

The only other option would be to play jigsaw with 120 slivers.

Attachments

• Glide64_SPACE_INVADERS_14.png
    Glide64_SPACE_INVADERS_14.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Yes, it allows the user to identify the correct texture to manually arrange into a range of alike files.
Below is a range of files to help you to understand what arranged files look like after they are marked.

Essentially, what we are trying to to is merge two methods that by themselves work great, but together; I'm not so sure.

I have to call it a night but I hope that you research HighResEaser as is quite helpful for most projects and I look forward to working with you on this project.

Attachments

• compiled simidone resized moved.7z
    8.3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited: