What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Perfect Perfect Dark - KMan Style

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
I'm goint to take it slow, doing sets of textures at a time, so that they are consistent. I find that now that I have been doing alot of character art at work now, I have a need to do some world art. And making these textures are easy as pie. All I have to do is find where it's used, where it needs to tile/mirror properly, and I'm set.

All I have done so far is some of the shader effects that are used on the intro screen, and what appears to be one of the layers to the eyepiece effect.

I am going to do a set from the datadyne building, and then move onto joanna.

Are there any programs out there that can extract the models out? I saw a version of link floating around a while back. It'd make retexturing the character LOADS easier if I could grab the model to work from. Otherwise it's a big trial/error of painting and testing it in-game.

Last edited:

Kerber2k

You just gonna use that to UV map the player models? Might be easier never seen PD skins tho. Good luck this games pretty large :), but well worth it esp deathmatch.

OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
Kind of hard to see what's going on, but most of the images replaced so far are used as reflections. I added some more contrast, and mixed in some more detail and just a little color variation.

I've circled a couple of the places where you can really see the difference.

Last edited:
OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
This is a bit annoying, but it's workable. So many areas where the texture just stretches all over, but it'll be fine.

Last edited:
OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
Hmmm.....

I ran into a snag, but it could have been some things I didn't sort out with the exporter I was using. The highlighted areas don't show up on the model in max. the texture gets stretched up to the underside of the chest.

I'm thinking that perhaps it has something to do with it being a non square texture. I may need to modify the uv's on them so that they are scaled appropirately. Not sure at this point though.

Last edited:

TWULF

Hey,
I'd been trying to jazz up the character models in Perfect dark for ages, can I ask what specs/rom/emulator you used to extract and inject? the reinjected textures are so deliciously detailed. I'd be very interested in helping.

OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
I'm just using 1964, with the plugin that was linked earlier in this thread. Then I have textures extraced using Rice's plugin, that I can get the names of the images out of, then save them back into a hires folder so I can load them back into the rom with Rice's plugin.

Kerber2k

I want more....more I say! If you get frustrated with player skins move on to weapons...thats what I did with Goldeneye. (wich lead to more frustration, but hey mabey itll work for you.

OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
Well, I'm going to try and get a model of joanna out that doesn't have messed up uv's. Or maybe I just need to scale the uv's properly.

Kerber2k

You should document how you figured it out when it happends might be useful for others to learn. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
What if you just swapped Joanna's model with her sisters, Im pretty sure she has longer hair, and apply the newer 360 Joanna look to it.

Kerber2k

Actually Kman wondering if the reflection shader texture used in the Nintendo logo in the intro is used on the weapons as well....or more or less interested in your method of replacing them in high-rez. :D

OP
KMan

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
Those textures may be used on some of the weapons. I'd have to actually test and see if any of them use those though. Then I'd have to see if the reflections look right on them, and tweak them if needed.

I'm thinking of putting Joanna to the side till I can figure out what the problem is with the exporting. If I have to scale the uv's for every material (I think around 25-35) that's gonna be a pain in the arse.

Federelli

Beta Tester
It's the Kman :D:D:D. Nice job, as always, what can i say :).

I hope you have some time left for the Zelda OOT pack :p.