What's new

Official: Nintendo Revolution

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Sheesh, even if you DO rip out the emulator out of the revolution, then what? Those consoles (although not the gc) has had its games production stopped. So it basically means ninty won't be making money on those. Besides, most people WILL still use the consoles to play the games, so...

And that is not the final look on the revolution either... it's just a prototype. It might be changed in the future... the color is not decided yet either. But damn, they released practically nothing about the revolution other than we already know.

Doomulation

Take it as you want, it is a response to your...

I mean, this whole site is dedicated to emulation, and now Nintendo is providing the ultimate emulator.

Hell, I could care less if Nintendo went out of business, but even this has *my* interest as a gamer who still digs out his Nintendo emulators now and then to play some old classics.

Not to mention the fact that there are games out there for N64 and stuff that I could actually play now. Or that I've ignored the GameCube up until now.

But it basically tells you ninty won't go out of buissness anytime soon.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
So, the Revolution will emulate older games, huh? Excellent. Just a couple questions regarding the actual Revolution hardware, though. One, the ATI custom-made RN520 chipset, is it a 128-bit GPU (like the GCN), or a 256-bit GPU (like XBOX 360)? And two, do you think now that the Revolution will use DVD-9 standard for its games, Nintendo will have legit 3rd party support?

Doomulation

Not much is known about the revolution's specs... nintendo didn't release much info. But suficed to say, it will be enough to challenge the other systems power.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Agreed. I think Nintendo's modesty, and Sony and Microsoft's "boasting" (for lack of a better word) caught many gamer's attention as Revolution being a weak system. The fact that the PS3 is quote 35 times faster than the PS2 is ridiculous.

MoSys, supplier for the Revolution's 1T-SRAM, has indicated that Nintendo's next-generation console is targeted for a mid-2006 launch.

Further, some key specs for the machine were revealed:

According to the site, the console will boast four 2.5Ghz IBM G5 Custom cores, with 128KB of level 1 cache and a 512KB shared level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer.

10ghz of power, that must add up to something. The XBox360 is 9ghz.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
IMO, that statement claiming that the "PS3 is thirty-five times more powerful that the PS2" is a whole lotta crap. I mean, what's the freakin' point of bragging about such things!? It's useless information, like advertising a wireless controller that says "With 2.4GHz frequency!".
What good does indicating to the common gamer such information? Now take a look at Nintendo, they are very smart for not spilling the beans about many of the Nintendo Revolution's specs (save 512MB flash memory and DVD games), such as the CPU/GPU's speed; at least not yet. Sony and Microsoft, however, brag about how their systems have like 256MB GDDR3 RAM in their GPUs, BluRay Disc support, several CPU cores, and so on. What they didn't tell the average gamer is how enjoyable their systems will really be.
Getting back to Nintendo, which by the way, has a better, more effective approach with their system, The Revolution. Fist off, it can play Gamecube discs in addition to DVD-9 DVDs. The best part about it, is that for a monthly subscription you can download games from a list of games accumulated over a period of twenty years! Do Microsoft and Sony follow that ingenious concept? Ha! Not likely. So whose system will kick butt? It's strictly my biased opinion, but I have a good feeling that the Revolution will dominate.
I...uh...sorry for venting like this, it's just something I've wanted to say since E3 began.

Trotterwatch

PS3 > runs PS2 and PS1 games - for a small monthly fee I'm sure you could buy tons of cheap 2nd hand games (with nice physical media and boxes).

Xbox 360 runs Xbox games (to an extent)

The 20 years factor is a moot point - but how can Sony/Microsoft compete? They can't - then again the average joe on the street probably couldn't be arsed playing Super Soccer when they can get Pro Evo 2006 etc on the newer machines.

How can they say how enjoyable a system will be? How can you quantify joy? For many the fact that a new installment of GTA or Halo coming out on a next gen machine, is perhaps the very epitome of the word.

You come accross as an idealogical fanboy bereft of the ability to actually look past your own blinkered vision. On the plus side you'd make a great spokesperson for Nintendo :D

Oh and before someone says I am slating Nintendo, far from it. I like the concept of the Revolution, at the right pricepoint it could do pretty well. I don't think it will be mixing it at the high end however (technologically speaking - Nintendo have of course stated as much).

Last edited:

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Okay, so I was venting a bit too much. Sorry. But I agree with you about that "you'd make a great spokeman for Nintendo" bit. But hey, I admit that Sony/Microsoft couldn't compete with that whole "20 years of games downloading" concept. In terms of hardware, they (all three next-gen consoled) will be quite formidible opponents.

rcgamer

the old guy
Trotterwatch said:
PS3 > runs PS2 and PS1 games - for a small monthly fee I'm sure you could buy tons of cheap 2nd hand games (with nice physical media and boxes).

Xbox 360 runs Xbox games (to an extent)

The 20 years factor is a moot point - but how can Sony/Microsoft compete? They can't - then again the average joe on the street probably couldn't be arsed playing Super Soccer when they can get Pro Evo 2006 etc on the newer machines.

How can they say how enjoyable a system will be? How can you quantify joy? For many the fact that a new installment of GTA or Halo coming out on a next gen machine, is perhaps the very epitome of the word.

You come accross as an idealogical fanboy bereft of the ability to actually look past your own blinkered vision. On the plus side you'd make a great spokesperson for Nintendo :D

Oh and before someone says I am slating Nintendo, far from it. I like the concept of the Revolution, at the right pricepoint it could do pretty well. I don't think it will be mixing it at the high end however (technologically speaking - Nintendo have of course stated as much).

I understand what you are saying, and i agree that the normal(ie preteen to twenty year old) will see things your way. My point was that older gamers who may want to try these new systems will be swayed by the knowledge that all there old time favs are all there. Im talking your 30+ crowd. or people who havent gamed since those days. and I also think that a lot of women(not all of course) think that gaming was better when it was simpler. And im far from a nintendo fanboy. I have always been a sega guy. I just feel that this could be big for them. I could definately be wrong. but judging from the reactions im seeing on other forums Im not.

Trotterwatch

Oh I think it will win a fanbase - and big credit to them for doing it. The main thing for me is cost, and whether they can also work something out so you can check out some of the classic 3rd party games too. I'm not certain that Nintendo could offer the Streetfighter series for example, or CBFD etc

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Trotterwatch said:
Not to bash you at all (well, maybe to bash you in a very sincere way :saint: ) but this is the certain "ideallology" that I do not get. Besides the uncertain specs released by MoSys, Nintendo has not shown one screenshot, nor released a single feature pertaining to the Revolution's power. Is it because Nintendo is the only company modest enough not to lie and say that their system has made a 3,500% performance increase from their last console? Is it because Nintendo is the only company modest enough not to throw pre-rendered videos at each other to bustle up all the hype?

No, I think we should all wait and see what Nintendo has in store. As Iwata states, it will make us all say "Wow". He also said, "Who's your daddy" o.-

//end phan-boy ism

ggab

Emutalk Member
Trotterwatch said:
Oh I think it will win a fanbase - and big credit to them for doing it. The main thing for me is cost, and whether they can also work something out so you can check out some of the classic 3rd party games too. I'm not certain that Nintendo could offer the Streetfighter series for example, or CBFD etc
do u suggest that only Nintendo's releases will be available?

how about (Konami/Capcom/acklaim/Elec. Arts/ocean/Factor 5/Midway/etc )'s titles for both NES/SNES and N64 ??

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Mr. Iwata suggested that all 2 Billion games will be available to us. He hasn't let the fanbase down yet...

Trotterwatch

I'm saying - I hope that is the case and that no developer challenges Nintendo. Do they really have the rights to release all games? If so, how much did that cost them I wonder ;)

Not to bash you at all (well, maybe to bash you in a very sincere way ) but this is the certain "ideallology" that I do not get. Besides the uncertain specs released by MoSys, Nintendo has not shown one screenshot, nor released a single feature pertaining to the Revolution's power. Is it because Nintendo is the only company modest enough not to lie and say that their system has made a 3,500% performance increase from their last console?

If it is more powerful then I'll eat my hat. And you may bring up this thread to ridicule me ;)

It'll be powerful, it'll look very pretty. It'll sell kinda well, it won't be top end. Heck even the size of the thing makes me realise it probably isn't going to be pushing the boundaries of performance. If it does, then Nintendo will clean up no doubt.

I'm just being realistic, so criticise all you want :)

Oh and I ain't a fanboy for anything, may the best company win. Be that Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony - whatever. More competition should be better for the consumer as a whole.

Last edited:

Doomulation

The whole reason for boasting about the specs is to impress the gamers. If you said the console is 35x faster than the previous, then that means games can be made 35x better. Or that's pretty much at least what I think most will think when they hear the specs.
I really think Nintendo has to show some of the revolutions power... I mean, they haven't even shown how the controllers look!

2fast4u

Doomulation said:
The whole reason for boasting about the specs is to impress the gamers. If you said the console is 35x faster than the previous, then that means games can be made 35x better. Or that's pretty much at least what I think most will think when they hear the specs.

yeah, thats pretty much the flawed logic sony tries to get across. in fact i think the whole boasting of microsoft and sony is up to a point where its ridiculous. first the fighting like little kids who will present their system first, then the long-assed xbox commercial on mtv, now sony will probably claim next that their system heals cancer. i dont really care for all that, i wanna see innovative games worth playing. leave me alone with ea's next half-assed sequel, and no i dont need more star wars games and i dont care how good the graphics will be and how much your developers broke their balls and possibly tounges to try to get their pseudo-philosophical point across on how greatly their system will enhance gaming as a whole (see xbox presentation).

just to clarify, nintendo is never to be considered one bit better than the rest of the pack. what it comes down to is that someone tries to make money. but right now i really, really appreciate their conforting silence. end rant.

2fast4u

Trotterwatch said:
It'll be powerful, it'll look very pretty. It'll sell kinda well, it won't be top end. Heck even the size of the thing makes me realise it probably isn't going to be pushing the boundaries of performance. If it does, then Nintendo will clean up no doubt.

i doubt the size of the case is really a factor here ;) furthermore ... do the specs seriously ultimately decide a consoles success? in the first place yes, but still objection. the ps2 hasnt been the top end of things for years and it has still continously outsold everything else there is. i recall the gamegear being way superior to the gameboy but you all know who won. what it comes down to in the end is the amount of games worth playing.

even still, i am with you on the hat thing. :icecream:

Trotterwatch

2fast4u said:
i doubt the size of the case is really a factor here

We'll agree to differ on that one. I feel that a small factor case leaves little room for large bulking graphics chips or fancy heat dispersal methods.

Bigger isn't always better in this example, but miniscule form factors are also usually prohibitive.

do the specs seriously ultimately decide a consoles success?

To a degree, but more important is price, range of games and sadly the 'cool factor'. The console that will win has to have a degree of balance.

The Game Gear which you cited, alongside the Lynx were both vastly superior to the Gameboy, but lost not just on games - but on battery life. If both had at least double the battery life they did, then it may have all been totally different :)