What's new

Official: Nintendo Revolution

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Fake Video: http://onefed.com/media/NintendoON.wmv [Downright AWESOME. D:]

Information:

- http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=9594f668-5342-4b38-8eb1-d6bf479c4139&page=other
- http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613340p1.html

Console size

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Console disc size / Backwards compatability

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics. Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive.

Console design

In a recent New York Times article, Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan describes the console as "very, very sleek." The system, which is reportedly tiny, will stand horizontally. Its height will reportedly be no more than three DVD cases stacked flatly on each other, or slightly more than an inch. That makes the console theoretically smaller than Apple's recently released Mac Mini computer.

DVD playback

Although Nintendo has historically selected proprietary media formats, such as the GameCube Optical Disc, for its platforms, the publisher is with Revolution opting for a more standardized medium. The new console will play standard DVD media, according to the company. Nintendo has not yet revealed if Revolution will as a result be able to play Hollywood movies on DVD, but that seems very likely at this point.

Online play

According to recent information, Revolution will also be able to play high-definition games and regularly go online.

This sounds very promising! ^_^

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Regarding info about the Revolution's games, it will be a normal DVD, like you just said AND it will be at a minimum of 4.7GB. It also supposedly uses DVD-9 standard, or dual-layer DVDs. That would make it 8.4GB! Holy crap, Nintendo is becoming very technologically up-to-date with their system!
Much better than their so-called "proprietary" 1.5GB DVDs! Don't worry rumor-spreaders, Nintendo has confirmed on this, so it's not false info!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If they use DVD's it will make their games easier to pirate unless their system has the ultimate copy protection... :p

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
AFAIK, the Revolution will use DVDs for their games, using the DVD-9 (dual-layer) standard. But if I know Nintendo as well as I think I do, they'll have some extremely-difficult-to-hack encryption on the discs. They'll have to if they don't want people ripping the DVDs. On an interesting note, the Revolution's CPU, AKA "Hollywood" is supposedly an IBM custom G5 CPU 2.5GHz (x4 cores), so it should kick the crap outta the XBOX 360/PS3.

ggab

Emutalk Member
oh my god!!!

the NintendoON.wmv video is simple awesome!!!! ;) ;) ;)

where did u get it? when was release it?

PD: i wanna know more info about the super ON console :D !

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nintendo knows what they do, and has delivered some of THE best games for their consoles. Not to mention the best console, technologically (IE, no loading times!). What makes you wish this?

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Oh! E3 2005 starts tomorrow (GMT -8)! Hehehe...the Nintendo Revolution will be revealed at the Los Angelse Convention Center! I heard an interesting thing about the big N's new system, that its processor is a quad-core CPU, which is clocked at 2.5GHz each (making it an insanely powerful 10GHz total!)
Not only that, but its GPU ("Hollywood") uses ATI's SLI-technology, the custom chip is called the RN520 chipset. If any of this is true, I'll be happy!

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
...! Holy shnickes! I was cube.ign.com just now and Nintendo revealed what the Revolution looks like! The 1st "details" about the Revolution have been revealed! Here's what it'll look like. Believe me, this is not fake.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Great, now you can get FOUR vertical dvd players standing side by side. Thanks a lot Sony.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
So um, I guess a few other people have read the IGN article by now, I personally am waiting for the mandatory video of the conference to hit the het so I can see it myself but did anyone else need new pants when the words, "You have access to over 20 years of Nintnendo gaming, every game nintendo has ever made, will be downloadable" were seen on screen?

I'm sorry, what was that microsoft, sony, you just got your asses handed too you? Too bad, don't care, I cannot wait for the revolution now, and the fact Smash Bros Wifi is a launch title just makes the offer that much better.

Side note, did anyone see Sony butcher their controller?

Trotterwatch

Hexidecimal said:
I'm sorry, what was that microsoft, sony, you just got your asses handed too you? Too bad, don't care, I cannot wait for the revolution now, and the fact Smash Bros Wifi is a launch title just makes the offer that much better.

Yeah because Emulators for the other systems will never happen ;)

Sony has full backwards compat with the PS line, Xbox has some sort of backwards compat with the Xbox.

I don't think having a large catagory of older games for download is really a gamewinner - nice and all, but people tend to want more nowadays. Let's not bother and just use our current PCs with TV Out (albeit no real GC games to play).

The controller issue for the PS2 has already been posted about - no big deal IMO, there will be other controllers.

Rom Manic

*SYSTEM ERROR*
I doubt it will be free, Hex. Don't get your hopes up for some classic RPG action on your Revolution too soon.

There's really no way to compete with that either since Playstation games and most games on Compact Disk are massive in size, though...Oh well...

I'm kinda leaning more towards the Xbox360 for now, because to be honest it looks a hell of alot better than some of the Revolution screenshots I've been seeing.

rcgamer

the old guy
I personally think that nintendo could have the boost it needs with the whole library of games available for the revolution. You are talking about all nes, snes, n64, and gamecube games being playable on one system. I thought i would never buy another system but now im thinking of revolution. lots of older gamers will be drawn in by this i believe. Lots of people dont have a pc. and lots of others who do dont use emulators.

Trotterwatch

The trouble is a lot of those people will probably be more likely drawn in my the what should be inevitably better graphics of the other 2 consoles. History of games is not what attracts the casual gamer - it's graphics and triple A titles such as Halo and GTA San Andreas.

Rom Manic

*SYSTEM ERROR*
It's not going to be free, I guarantee it. And one more thing I need to add about the video: GOD-AWFUL. Not only does Nintendo blind me more than I am with flashing cubes swirling in and out, almost sending me into a seizure (I do not have Epilepsy), but exhausting my eyes as I write this. And not only that, the logo for the Nintendo ON (That virtual helmet thingy or whatever) was played on the screen more than enough times.

Still, the thought of moving Samus around in a 3D virtual world does excite me. I wonder if I touch myself, does she moan...:/

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I never said it would be free, I don't care if it's free or not, that's just a cool ass idea right there.

Also @ Trotter: I know MS and SOny have the back compatibility, I was more pointing out they didn't have the classic nintendo did back in the day. I still have the most fun playing the big N's classic Zeldas and Marios over the new games, though the new Zelda may change that.. :D

Martin

Administrator
Nice thread Vile, I made this sticky, and will make the same for the Xbox360 and the PS3 thread.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Rom Manic said:
It's not going to be free, I guarantee it. And one more thing I need to add about the video: GOD-AWFUL. Not only does Nintendo blind me more than I am with flashing cubes swirling in and out, almost sending me into a seizure (I do not have Epilepsy), but exhausting my eyes as I write this. And not only that, the logo for the Nintendo ON (That virtual helmet thingy or whatever) was played on the screen more than enough times.

Still, the thought of moving Samus around in a 3D virtual world does excite me. I wonder if I touch myself, does she moan...:/

The Toaster look "Nintendo ON" is a misleading confirmed fake. It has nothing to do with Nintendo at all. Watch the Nintendo Press Conference.

I'm putting my money on Metroid for being "the" revolution release title (even though Iwata suggested it to be SSB). Retro has been silent too long...

smegforbrain

rcgamer said:
I personally think that nintendo could have the boost it needs with the whole library of games available for the revolution.

I have to agree. Even if it's something you have to pay for, subscription or whatnot, Nintendo is the master of the rerelease.

It has proven effective for the GBA, and I'm sure that they'll get people interested for this on a console as well.

I mean, this whole site is dedicated to emulation, and now Nintendo is providing the ultimate emulator.

Hell, I could care less if Nintendo went out of business, but even this has *my* interest as a gamer who still digs out his Nintendo emulators now and then to play some old classics.

Not to mention the fact that there are games out there for N64 and stuff that I could actually play now. Or that I've ignored the GameCube up until now.