What's new

Needs Tester For An Experimental Glide Wrapper

olivieryuyu

hmm can someone test Mario golf with a radeon 9600 with 5.3 ATI drivers ?

i have some white textures but i 'd like to know if it's only me that have this issue

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Hmm, none of these problems occur with my gforce fx 5200... It can be an ATI driver problem, does anyone has a slightly older driver than 5.3 and not have this problem ?

Trotterwatch

Hacktarux said:
Hmm, none of these problems occur with my gforce fx 5200... It can be an ATI driver problem, does anyone has a slightly older driver than 5.3 and not have this problem ?

I'm using a Radeon 8500 with 5.1 ATI drivers and am experiencing none of the graphics issues as shown above.

A quick question:

I don't think the Radeon 8500 supports the shading language does it? I have it selected, but I've a feeling it auto defaults to off if it can't be used.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Yea, the Radeon 8500 doesn't support glsl. The wrapper require fragment shaders support, that's the same thing than directx pixel shaders...

Btw, the bugs of these screenshots only happens with the glsl combiner...

Reznor007

Have you ran those shaders through the GLSL validator? It may be a bug in the shader itself that actually works on nvidia hardware. For some reason I trust ATI's GLSL support more than nvidia's(ATI has supported it longer also).

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Well, the code is very simple, i can't really run it through GLSL validator as the shaders are dynamically written by the wrapper but i know nvidia and ATI compilers doesn't report any error. Nvidia's compiler has an option that enables some portability warnings, it doesn't report anything about the code produced by the latest version of the wrapper.

I've seen errors in both compilers but at least errors on nvidia's compiler gave me compilation errors, not glitches...

Reznor007

Hmm...maybe you could capture one of the shaders that is producing the bug on ATI cards and send it to ATI's developer relations. Or maybe post it on Beyond3d.com on the forums as a few ATI and nvidia employee's post on there.

One of the ATI employee's that posts there(Humus) makes small graphic demos using GLSL from time to time so he might be able to help find out where the problem is.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I've just checked the 21 shaders used in mario gold with the glsl validator. They are all valids. Now the question is... which one is causing problems...

Maybe it can be the shaders that are using fogs... let's check if google knows any problem that involves fog, glsl and ATI :p

Reznor007

Found something while looking up some GLSL stuff that reminded me of the previous bug on ATI cards.

Your comment "it seems like ATI compiler don't know how to convert 0 to 0.0" is actually a good thing.

From NeHe's OpenGL GLSL introduction:
GLSL is 100% type safe. You are not allowed to assign an integer to a float without casting (by constructor):

float my_float = 1; // Won’t Work! “1” Is An Integer!
float my_new_float = 1.0; // Will Work!

From here: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/articles/article.asp?article=21

Haven't found anything relating to fog bugs though.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Yea, this previous problem was very easy to fix anyway because the compiler were reported the error correctly :)

Noxious Ninja

Reznor007 said:
Have you ran those shaders through the GLSL validator? It may be a bug in the shader itself that actually works on nvidia hardware. For some reason I trust ATI's GLSL support more than nvidia's(ATI has supported it longer also).

Heh. The ATi drivers get a 98% on the 3Dlabs parser test, you say? The latest nVidia drivers, 76.41, score a 49%. :p

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Well, it's not that important, these tests are really weird. Anyway, the problem i'm having isn't about the parser, the shaders are compiled with both compilers, it means they are parsed without any errors. From the tests i did, it seems like the issue is on the fog, maybe a wrong fixed functionnality for the fog on ATI's hardware ?