What's new

How to get Skies Of Arcadia (echelon) working properly!!!!

Animalark

aika-san said:
Here. I've made an easier way for you to do it:

1. copy bonito.drv from your mounted image into your LIPS folder
2. put stranges patch there too
3. get the aikasan.exe file i have attached here and put that in there too.
4. Apply the patch to bonito.drv
5. bonito.drv should now be around 5mb
6. don't attempt to rename it. just run aikasan.exe
7. now you should find there is a 1st_read.bin file there, also around 5mb in size.
8. don't attempt to rename it. aikasan program has done it correctly for you!
9. just copy the 1st_read.bin aikasan created into exoboot folder. windows will warn that you are going to overwrite. click yes.

continue with step 10 of the original document.
What is the LIPS folder?
There this original document? Tell me please. I don't know how to apply the patch to bonito.drv.

Zeok

hi im new...
listen i have 2 problems... i do the patch and every thing...
and im playing with 0.25 alpha chanka emu
and 8-15 minutes after playing the game freez the music is stuk and the screen is black (if it after a battle) ir it freez

second problem
wan in playing some times i have a strang pictuer (wan that girl in the begining she had a dream....than instad of seen the dream i saw some strang pictuer of the rank.lvl up. EXP and more)

(p.s is there any other new version of chanka expet the alpah?)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Zeok said:
(p.s is there any other new version of chanka expet the alpah?)
If I undestood that correctly, the answer is no.

There's really not much you can do if the game freezes randomly, as Chankast emulates the Dreamcast rather poorly.

What are your computer specs?

Mouser X

Well, I played SoA with the NTSC version, just to see what it would be like. I've been playing on the PAL version (Which is what Echelon ripped, and that's what this patch works for, is the Echelon PAL Skies of Arcadia rip), and I've gotten as far as Yafutoma. I could play further, but Yafutoma is terribly unstable (at least, on the first CD. I had no problems on the 2nd CD, oddly enough).

Anyway, make sure that you downloaded the Echelon rip of Skies of Arcadia (chances are that you did, I'm just saying make sure). If you've got a different version, then that would most likely be the cause of the crashing. The NTSC version of SoA crashes after you finish a battle (which is what's happening to you), after you access the inventory screen, and after cut-scenes. The PAL version will crash randomly throughout the game, but it is playable. Just save frequently (I've never written over any of my saves yet. Anyone need 1? I have like, 2-4mb of SoA saves, and each save is 128kb).One thing to note, is that the glitchier the sound is, the more likely it is that it's going to crash soon. Basically, SLOW DOWN. Instead of trying to skip through everything quickly, play with patience. Don't use 2 button presses when one will do (or 12, when one will do, for that matter).

Hopefully that's helped some. Good luck on getting this game running. It's worth the effort. Mouser X out.

Zeok

my computer specs is:
AMD 64 bit 3500+
2 giga ddr
geforce 7900 GT (256 RAM)
760 giga space
if u need to know more than tell me
ho... and akia-san thank u for the patch

Zeok

my computer specs is:
AMD 64 bit 3500+
2 giga ddr
geforce 7900 GT (256 RAM)
760 giga space
if u need to know more than tell me
ho... and akia-san thank u for the patch

LiamFly

The manual.txt says:

"Note - Make sure you use Daemon Tools v3.29. Later versions have broken .cdi emulation and won't work."

By "later" does it mean earlier? Or do the later versions (mine's 4.03) actually not work?

Agozer

LiamFly said:
The manual.txt says:

"Note - Make sure you use Daemon Tools v3.29. Later versions have broken .cdi emulation and won't work."

By "later" does it mean earlier? Or do the later versions (mine's 4.03) actually not work?
The "broken CDI emulation" is is not true sometimes since I know people use use CDIs with Daemon Tools just fine (myself included). Then again, I also know people who have prolems, so meh.

Later means later, post 3.29 versions, up to 4.03.

cyklone

I am new to this forum and I have some problems running Skies Of Arcadia..I downloaded the patch and have done everything thats said in the Manual.txt

<quote>

Note - Make sure you unpack this WinRAR archive. If you try to run SOAPatcher from within the archive, IT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Here's how to apply the patch:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT : IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE 9 STEPS BELOW EXACTLY AS THEY ARE WRITTEN, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS EITHER PATCHING THE GAME OR RUNNING IT!!!!!!!

1. Mount your unmodified echelon version of Skies Of Arcadia CDI image file using Daemon Tools v3.29. You can patch both CD's at once by using 2 virtual drives and mounting 1 CDI image file on each drive.
2. Run the SOAPatcher.exe file in this folder. The main SOAPatcher window will appear and you will see the Credits listing. Click the 'CONTINUE' button.
3. Now, SOAPatcher will check to see if you actually have any Skies Of Arcadia CDI image files mounted. A bar at the bottom of the SOAPatcher window will be flashing on and off. This indicates that SOAPatcher is actively trying to detect your CDI image files. You will also see a list of what CDI image file(s) are currently detected and which drive letter they are being detected on. Click the 'BEGIN PATCHING' button to start patching your CDI image file(s). If no CDI image file(s) are being detected, then the 'BEGIN PATCHING' button will be disabled.
4. Once you have clicked the 'BEGIN PATCHING' button, the main SOAPatcher patching engine will patch your CDI image file(s). This takes around 5 minutes to complete each CD. During this time, you should leave your computer alone. You will see a progress bar representing the time remaining until patching is completed. All buttons will be disabled, and you have no option to cancel or exit the patching operation.
5. Once the patching has been completed, you will be informed that your new patched image file(s) can be found in the SOAPatcher folder.
6. You can now click one of the 'EXIT' buttons to quit SOAPatcher.
7. Now unmount your old unpatched CDI image file(s) and mount your new patched CDI image file(s).
8. Start up Chankast. Make sure that "Cable Type" is set to "VGA" in the Chankast options.
9. Load the game and you should have no more echelon problems. This also fixes the problem where the game crashes at a black screen when you exit the inventory screen.

Easy wasn't it.

Have fun!!!

</quote>

But everytime I try and use the emulator to start the game I get this small box saying :

----------------------------
ioControl | X |
error

---------
OK |
---------

Please help me solve this problem (P.S sorry for that bad ascii drawing.)
Is it a problem with my version of DaemonTools because I use DaemonTools V4.00HE.

My computer specs
P4 2.8 GHZ
512 MB RAM
ATI RADEON X200
and a 40 GB Hard disk

Please I just want to play this game.Could someone please tell me how to make the game start working?

Mouser X

What Agozer said. If you WinXP SP2, then I've heard that Daemon 3.29 might crash your PC (Apparently, it doesn't do this for everyone, but some people have mentioned it). I'm using WinXP SP1, and 3.29 works fine for me. I installed 3.47, and I got the I/O error as well. Using 3.29 should fix that problem just fine. Mouser X out.

MagicianFaust

I just came across this fix and downloaded and installed everything, including DAEMON Tools 3.29. Problem is, I can't even mount the game file anymore(I was using a never version of DAEMON Tools before this that I uninstalled) because I get this error:

Virtual SCSI driver not detected

Anyone know how to fix this? I never had this problem with version 4.03(I think that's the version number), but I tried everything with that version and the game didn't seem to run.

The Rebirth

I myself had that exact some problem and it is very easy to fix.

All you need to do is uninstall ALL versions of Daemon Tools that you have on your computer. After you do that, restart your computer and re-install version 3.29 and everything should work just fine.

The Rebirth

I have a problem with the patch itself. I've read the manual multiple times and I know it does not address my problem.

The problem is that even though the patch seems to do its job, I never get the patched .cdi files. The patch runs, it detects the unmodified .cdi images, memory is temporarily used up on my computer, and the patch says it finishes successfully. However, after it finishes, the patched .cdi images are not in the SOAPatcher folder and my hard drive's memory is at exactly the same amount as it was before the patcher began running.

Does anybody know what I need to do to play this great game (one of my all-time favorites, in fact) on my computer?

twinseternal

Hey
For some reason the patcher doesn't work for my cd 2, it just hangs and stays that way until I end the process.

For cd 1, I can get it to patch and when I mount it in daemon tools 3.29 and try to run it in chankast something weird happens. A prompt for the time/day/year pops up and after all thats entered, it goes to the bios screen and when i choose the play game option, the emulator just resets and i get back to the time/day/year screen.

So, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Oh and if this helps, my system is on win xp sp2, amd 64x2 2800+, 2gb of ram, nvidia 7600, and hard drive space isn't a problem.

Chilly0123

I think the problem is the sp2 patch for windows xp. I have 2 computers, one with win xp sp1 and one with sp2, and the one with sp2 kept telling me it patched successfully but it never created any .cdi files, while the comp with sp1 patched both cds perfectly and i've been able to play them all the way through the game.

Agozer

I've had those errors with SP1. I just installed SP2 but haven't tried the patcher again (nor do I have the CD images). It doesn't have anything to do with the Service Packs per se, you just got lucky.

sozar

HI i have Skis of Arcadia CDI i used the patch but Daemon tools cant mount the new cd the patch went with no errors used daemon tools 3.29 i did all 9 steps in the Manual. can anyone help ?

twinseternal

I think the problem is the sp2 patch for windows xp. I have 2 computers, one with win xp sp1 and one with sp2, and the one with sp2 kept telling me it patched successfully but it never created any .cdi files, while the comp with sp1 patched both cds perfectly and i've been able to play them all the way through the game.

Well, disk one patches and creates a cdi, but disk 2 is just bleh. If I burn the originals onto cds and then put them in a dreamcast will they work?