What's new

Dolphin Final 1.03.2 BETA Released

Mouser X

Generally, frameskipping is useful when the game, or emulator, is bogged down on the graphics end. Meaning, the graphics aren't fast enough to keep up with the CPU. In the case of Gamecube emulation, it's the oppasite. The CPU can't keep up with the graphics. Someone else (I don't remember who) has already provided an excellent example. I'll try to reitterate it.

Think of emulation like a book. The CPU (which does the emulation, for the most part) is the author, and the illustrator is the graphics unit. For frameskipping to be benificial, the author has to be writing the book so fast, that the illustrator can't keep up. So, instead of providing a picture for every page of the book, they provide a picture for every 5 or 10 pages. This cuts down on the work needed to be done by the illustrator, and allows the writer to get more done.

In the case of Gamecube emulation, the writer could be said to have writer's block. Because they're not putting forth pages to be drawn, the illustrator has to wait for the author to wirte more pages. The illustrator can't draw something that they don't have yet. So, for this case, it would be mostly pointless for the illustrator to draw less pictures. They can complete one picture faster than the writer can write one page.

Does that make sense? Did this help explain why frameskipping would most likely not help increase the speed in GC emulation? I certainly think it's a good example. Mouser X over and out.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Mouser X said:
Generally, frameskipping is useful when the game, or emulator, is bogged down on the graphics end. Meaning, the graphics aren't fast enough to keep up with the CPU. In the case of Gamecube emulation, it's the oppasite. The CPU can't keep up with the graphics. Someone else (I don't remember who) has already provided an excellent example. I'll try to reitterate it.

Think of emulation like a book. The CPU (which does the emulation, for the most part) is the author, and the illustrator is the graphics unit. For frameskipping to be benificial, the author has to be writing the book so fast, that the illustrator can't keep up. So, instead of providing a picture for every page of the book, they provide a picture for every 5 or 10 pages. This cuts down on the work needed to be done by the illustrator, and allows the writer to get more done.

In the case of Gamecube emulation, the writer could be said to have writer's block. Because they're not putting forth pages to be drawn, the illustrator has to wait for the author to wirte more pages. The illustrator can't draw something that they don't have yet. So, for this case, it would be mostly pointless for the illustrator to draw less pictures. They can complete one picture faster than the writer can write one page.

Does that make sense? Did this help explain why frameskipping would most likely not help increase the speed in GC emulation? I certainly think it's a good example. Mouser X over and out.

:flowers: wish we had much more users like you on this board :) great explaination!

BlueFalcon7

Jensthecomposer said:
I know ONE thing that maybe could make some games playable, and that is a option for frameskipping!!! Where is the frameskipping??:(
This should go in the FAQs...

first it was "can anyone hook me up with isos"
then it was "OMG-WTF 2FPS????"
then "OMG-WTF 2FPS, I want to play naruto!!!!"
now its "why no frameskip?"

the frameskip idea should go in the answer for "why is the dolphin going as fast as a pregnant snail?"

Mouser X

Mouser X said:
Someone else (I don't remember who) has already provided an excellent example. I'll try to reitterate it.
Just pointing out that I'm not the one to take credit for this explanation. It was even on emutalk that I read it (don't remember where specifically). But, glad I could help. :) Mouser X out.

Alexbeav

is the SPR_SDR error fixed ? or somewhat more fixed than before ? simpler yet,is Twin Snakes playable ? (no matter speed,does it even start ?)

talker

Alexbeav said:
is the SPR_SDR error fixed ? or somewhat more fixed than before ? simpler yet,is Twin Snakes playable ? (no matter speed,does it even start ?)

Just d/l the emulator and try it out by your self, if it's so importent

S Vegeto

Rockmangames said:
Excellent! Slow doesnt bother me as long as you increase games even more and fully playable then fps speed will increase in the future. But Good job! Keep up!
yup. dolphins gonna rule gamecube alrite. if those geniuses get rid of the speed problem in the next release.....kiss your GC consoles goodbye.

spotanjo3

S Vegeto said:
yup. dolphins gonna rule gamecube alrite. if those geniuses get rid of the speed problem in the next release.....kiss your GC consoles goodbye.

LOL...nah. I still have it until wii then I will kiss my GC console good bye.:bouncy:

blackmage0_15

Don't want to sound like a complainer, noob or no-it-all, so I will attempt to word this correctly.

If you guys are still continuing coding of the Dolphin emulation, and hearing the frameskip argument I thought of something. Is it possible to put calculations onto the GPU, and free up the CPU for more processing, bettering the frame rate?

I figure anyone who does emulation, has a good videocard.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
blackmage0_15 said:
If you guys are still continuing coding of the Dolphin emulation, and hearing the frameskip argument I thought of something. Is it possible to put calculations onto the GPU, and free up the CPU for more processing, bettering the frame rate?
If it would be possible somebody would have done it already, don't you think?

The GPU can't work with emulated graphics data as is, everything has to go through the CPU first.

Tcd

Banned
Just stop complaining and buy a gamecube. I just bought one. They are very cheap now. It has gone some years man. Just buy a gamecube and play

Kyune

Agozer said:
If it would be possible somebody would have done it already, don't you think?

The GPU can't work with emulated graphics data as is, everything has to go through the CPU first.

Well...to me it doesn't sound like a conceptually bad idea: While the GPU may not be able to perform graphics functions that the CPU is being used to emulate, perhaps some kind of performance boost can be achieved by essentially freeing up the CPU to function as a GPU and then offloading as many tasks to the actual GPU as possible.

I don't presently know whether or not this is viable, but if someone who knew more about it would comment that might be constructive :p If nothing else, it would certainly be educational!

blackmage0_15

Kyune, I guess no-one is freed up enough to answer.

Does anyone know if this would work. As a programmer, I need to know if such things are possible in an emulator.

Draseri

i have the beta 1.3.2 and when i load up my naruto 3 iso.. i know it would work... but it just goes to a black screen and freezes?

can anybody help?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Draseri said:
i have the beta 1.3.2 and when i load up my naruto 3 iso.. i know it would work... but it just goes to a black screen and freezes?

can anybody help?
What are youre computer specs?