What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Cell-Shaded Wave Race 64 (Now with Demo)

The Dave

Update: Because I am going on a weeklong vacation I decided to try and release something you guys can play with. Here's a 80% done Dolphin Park pack. What is incomplete:

- Hut Roofs
- Wood Texture on Walkways
- Spectators
- Clouds (Can't get a rip of them)
- Finalization of textures (fixing errors)

If you would like to help out: I'm looking for someone who would like to do the menus and text. I'm looking for either a straight up hi-res like-source version. If you want to make things smoother and not as detailed and a suitable font, then I would also accept something that goes with the mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerber2k

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but cell shading is starting to get overused perhaps for the wrong reasons on this forum....and dont get me wrong that does look pretty nice what youve done there...but I dont see Waverace as a cartoony kinda game. Nice work tho and keep it up.

OP
T

The Dave

Well I'm going to try and make you a believer when I get more work done and release something playable (might take awhile, I'm leaving for Las Vegas in two days).

I didn't have the idea to do the game cellshaded until I was playing the water and watching it move with the way I have it now convinced me to go for a full conversion. I think the style flows when you see it in action.

pedrocasilva

the graphics are looking awesome IMO, the game is so low poligon that I thought he couldn't really look great just with High-Res textures... till I saw that screenshot. I dont know how you did the water, but it looks awesome and lively compared to the original.

OP
T

The Dave

Two more screens to show progress, I don't think I'll have enough done to release a pack before I leave.

Vinilipe

Brazillian EmuTalk Member
cell shading looks great in most N64 games!
Games are so low poligon that a realistic pack for a lot of games is weird.
Great job!

PS; of course there are games that dont fit the cellshading style

Tillmann

Whatever
such a gr8 work man!! I'd love to play this game ever since back in 90th's eheheh
TANKS!
IT'S looking gorgeous!

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
Duh, because with cel-shading, you don't have to put much detail into it. Like if you were doing grass, it would mostly just be one shade of green and just a little detail. Take a look at djipi's grass from kokiri forest.

View attachment 30430

OP
T

The Dave

That's not true for all cell-shading textures. Go ahead and try to recreate something with such little detail, that's not how it works. You have to think it out and make sure things blend and have a correct look. I could have tried to make a high-res pack, and it would have been an easier job for me, but someone else started one and this game is just too low-poly in my opinion for it.

jamesyfx

Cell shading is just a technique, it's not easier nor more didficult than doing anything else.

I like it, it really fits well with the games bright colour scheme anyway.

WhiteX

Nice work, may someday we´ll have almost all n64 games back to their glory because of this kind of project.

OP
T

The Dave

Little bit of an update. Back to work after my vacation, took a break from the game and went towards the menus / HUD.

If anyone can rip me the main logo at the press start screen and the kawasaki copyright line all the way at the bottom of the screen, that would be boss.

Right now, for the player models, all I'm doing is increasing their textrures by 4 and applying a median filter, so if anyone cares enough about this and wants to get involved I don't plan on doing anything really with the player models.

Some screens of the menu work I've been doing. I would say the menus HUD will be complete in 2-3 days.

Last edited by a moderator: