What's new

Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitech

N64 Artist
THANK YOU! :)

That^ one didn't do anything for me but "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" did. :)

The plugin now loads and runs. :) :) :)

But, with some issues. It doesn't display all of my textures. Actually you could say it only displays some of the textures. Run it with MRV 6.1.4 to check what it should look like. Also, PJ64 does not close properly, I get the "PJ64 has encountered a problem and needs to close" window.

I use PJ64 1.6, jabo sound, jabo input, and RV with OpenGL and no TMEM options enabled.

I am uploading my entire pack "as is" right now for you guys to test with. I believe it will help you to use the most up to date pack.

I am including a few save states as well.

The Spider Queen (save state 4) can be used as a testbed/benchmark for the DRAM CRC bug related slowdown testing. (She is not complete and only a rough job to so far)

The ghost ship (first stage, no SS needed), (forest of silence and the castle wall (save state 0)) stages are the most graphically intense as they are my newest work. The castle wall especially should give you a benchmark to achieve good texture loading speeds. ;)

The Villa (save state 3) is for fun, it's the hard to achieve VAMP state! :vampire: The Villa is a stage that is FULL of "trouble textures" though, like the carpets for example. I have all of the textures there small right now so the slowdown is negligible. I would like to re-redo it once RV is fixed. :)

Getting this worked on means more to me right now than reserving my pack for release till "It's done". ;) :)

You guys are more than I could have ever hoped for!!! :cheers:

I will update my post with the pack download when it is done uploading.

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S5E9BFJ2

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi squall,

DirectX gives ugly pixelation, and most importantly it causes the audio to sound terrible with PJ64...ie: missing sound channels.

I thought this was a known problem with PJ64 and RV with DirectX?

Can you confirm?

Thanks,
Jay

PS: PJ64, RV W/OpenGL runs/emulates CLOD perfectly. Best combo I have been able find.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Direct3D has no effect on DirectSound at all, theres some other issues going on there in that case.

And the pixellation can occur on either renderer, thats why it has filtering controls.

opengl actually has a worse LOD then OpenGL, which is probably what your seeing.

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi guys,

I just did a quick google search for "project 64 rice directx audio" and found this:

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=48 The third post confirms an audio problem with PJ64 and DirectX.

I know I read more info about it in the past too when I used to use directx. But reading something about this problem caused me to try OpenGL, and the audio problem I had been dealing with for months (back in ~may) was gone! :) (I was very happy ;) )

On the pixelation with DirectX, here are some screenshot:

I realize the "Missing toes" are an artifact of the "pixelation". OpenGL just seems much better (on my Nvidia based PC).
ams489.jpg

qp0ahv.jpg

With DirextX:
14263j6.jpg

With OpenGL:
j66j6e.jpg

And, here is a set of pics that show
an example of the missing textures with
Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video Stable:

1zq3fqo.jpg

10xg3f6.jpg

Thanks guys,
Jay

Last edited:
OP
A

Aristotle900

I'm glad you got it working Gitech. :)

Hmm, weird, I have no texture problems with your first release..I'm downloading the latest right now to test it on. I'm guessing the sizing you are now using, is not compatible? Or the formatting? Which would then point to Mudlord not uploading the recent version of the source, which may make me halt the project..Cause of all these errors and problems appearing. Well, I'll be testing.

DirectX is the best renderer to use with the plugin, along with 1964.

Also, I don't know why project 64 doesn't close properly with this version of the plugin, however that emulator really doesn't properly support this plugin anyway, in it's current state. There is talk going around, that this may change with the emulator..

Tomorrow is my 20th birthday. 1/1/89, so I'll most likely be gone for a short while starting tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
Happy Birthday!!! A new year baby! Cool!

Please don't give up. It just may take some time. I am in no real hurry! ;)

Would you consider working with PJ64 for the development of your plugin. 1964 is dead, but PJ64 is still very active as they work on PJ64 1.7.

I am glad to be beta testing for you. I wish more people would. I'll make a post in my threads to draw attention.

1964 with DirectX is what I used to use and recommend for everyone to play my pack with, but it produces a lot of sound "popping". I just tested it again and confirmed this. Since then I have found that PJ64 and OpenGL produces the best sound quality and graphic fidelity.

Also, I did figure out since my last post that I had to set "Force Linear Filter" for the GFX to smooth out with DirectX, but it still is just a little less "nice" than with OpenGL.

Mudlord, can you please help. Do we have the right source code? (MRV 6.1.4?) Do you have any opinions/advice on these problems?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!! I wish you all the best!!!

TTYL,
Jay

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

I see the issue, its not a conflict, rather the Direct3D code is slower then the opengl code, which causes the audio to slow down and be jittery.

mudlord88

Banned
Mudlord, can you please help. Do we have the right source code? (MRV 6.1.4?) Do you have any opinions/advice on these problems?

I cannot help since the emulator community is after my blood. Its not nice doing what I did and coming back, now is it? Heh. To them, I have betrayed the N64 emulation community and I am a outcast to the PJ64 mob.

So, is it smart helping on anything? I don't think so. Is it also smart, by extension, working on anything emulation related? No. So I am permanently out of it and doing something entirely different.

gitech

N64 Artist
Mudlord,

I said please. As a personal request. I am beside myself.

I don't know anything about what you did...and I don't care. I believe in forgiveness.

Community: Do you forgive Mudlord for whatever he did? If you don't then shame on you and I will be out too!

This is all just supposed to be for fun. What happened to us?!

Mud, Please. Do we have the right source code?

My deepest respect,
Jay

Datadayne

Looks interesting.

Downloaded and installed. Been getting same error gitech was receiving.

Going to look into this tomorrow, right now I have a new years party to attend.

Good luck with the plugin guys,
Datadayne

Cyberman

Mudlord,

I said please. As a personal request. I am beside myself.
If he said no already that probably means no. Reasons at that point do not matter. Yes is yes no is no.
I don't know anything about what you did...and I don't care. I believe in forgiveness.

Community: Do you forgive Mudlord for whatever he did? If you don't then shame on you and I will be out too!

This is all just supposed to be for fun. What happened to us?!

Mud, Please. Do we have the right source code?

My deepest respect,
Jay
Well it's not that simple probably so please give mud and the community a break. Some things require time. I think also a break from the emulation scene is a good thing.

Also note that mud had some problems with loosing his source when bounty source pooped permanently.

Mud has left the code in somewhat better shape than it was from what I remember. Unfortunately these problems aren't simple easy ones to resolve, they take considerable time. He is doing other things now, and they take his time.

Puzzling through some of these problems helps people learn, that's the best way to learn is from modifying existing code. I actually need to get off my duff and finish setting up stuff so I can get back to development myself. Some of the core design of the plugin, if I remember, needed rethought. As I said these things aren't easy simple fixes most times.

Cyb

OP
A

Aristotle900

All right, just calm down everyone. I'm learning on all of this as I go, and starting out with this kind of uncommented source code and this kind of emulation scene for me, is very challenging, just give me time. Now that I know nothing can be done in retrieving the source to the last release, we will just make do with what we have. Now, I think I know what is wrong with it not loading these textures, that I will deal with right now when I get off the forum. I'll edit my post with another release right away, if my hunch is correct, or reply and post it.

Now, as for the plugin and OpenGL, may laptop cannot, I repeat, cannot, handle the emulator running in OpenGL emulation. This chipset only handles the basic stuff, and even that isn't too fast. I will not be working on anything with OpenGL, due to this laptop. I'm sorry. Now as for Project64, it doesn't quite like my laptop, so I can't exactly support it. I support 1964, because that is what works for me, using Direct3D.

Yes, the Direct3D code handling, is kind of slow..Many parts of it need to be re-written, however, that won't be soon. Other issues need to be addressed first.

Edit: I was wrong, it seems fine in the plugin. Oddly, it seems the formatting or settings that won't show up in this build, is actually those textures themselves. This error check or whatever, is being ignored with Mudlord's version, while this one isn't..? Seems to do with the BMBlib in this version.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

Well, to be frank, having a working Render output, is more important then whether textures load, but thats my opinion, and if i had the exp, i'd dig into the code myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.