What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

_pm_ Super Smash Bros.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Finally, I found Hyrule Castle's missing textures!!!! :bouncy: I had to use the debug plugin to find out what was happening.

The problem is that the original textures are replaced with "stretched" versions in different areas of the stage (which for some reason share the same CRC and filename). As most of the stretched textures are not the same size, 2X, 3X or 4X than the originals, the plugin just ignores them. So I had to manually resize the textures to overcome this.

However, they don't look very good when replaced (Look at the second shot, the one with the Yoshi). I'm almost sure that I'm using the correct sizes, it seems that there are problems with those "shared" CRCs (wtf?) :(

Anyways, if someone wants to edit the textures, download the zip below (USA version).

EDIT: Attachment removed

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_ said:
Finally, I found Hyrule Castle's missing textures!!!! :bouncy: I had to use the debug plugin to find out what was happening.

The problem is that the original textures are replaced with "stretched" versions in different areas of the stage (which for some reason share the same CRC and filename). As most of the stretched textures are not the same size, 2X, 3X or 4X than the originals, the plugin just ignores them. So I had to manually resize the textures to overcome this.

However, they don't look very good when replaced (Look at the second shot, the one with the Yoshi). I'm almost sure that I'm using the correct sizes, it seems that there are problems with those "shared" CRCs (wtf?) :(

Anyways, if someone wants to edit the textures, download the zip below (USA version).

_pm_, sharing CRC is a big problem. Can you confirm it? I changed the CRC routine in order to overcome the sharing CRC, and I understand the problem could still happen.

You can confirm it by using the debugger version. To dump a texture, you will got a file. If the same file is used when you dump a different texture, that's the problem.

If you can confirm it, I will have to something about it.

Rice

optimus$prime

hi there

i have the same problem with level textures
as u can see they are stretched (like the textures of _pm_)

:ranting:

1: original texture
2: hires
3: in game original (look at the texture)
4: ingame hires (look at the texture)

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
_pm_, sharing CRC is a big problem. Can you confirm it? I changed the CRC routine in order to overcome the sharing CRC, and I understand the problem could still happen.

You can confirm it by using the debugger version. To dump a texture, you will got a file. If the same file is used when you dump a different texture, that's the problem.

If you can confirm it, I will have to something about it.

Rice

Sure, I send you a copy of the textures I dumped with the debugger, and a copy of what the plugin was logging at that moment.

I started dumping the textures immediatly after I chose Hyrule Castle stage in Training Mode.

The first textures coming are portions of the background, which I didn't include in the zipfile (EDIT: Removed) for convenience (no apparent problems with them). Then, the first conflictive texture arrives: The one with CRC 3B554A0A, I got 5 different "versions" of this texture (although they seem to come from the same base texture), all of them sharing the same filename.

When I try to replace these textures, either they don't work (wrong size) or they look weird or completely stretched. As an example, the screenshots below show the game using the third dump of SMASH BROTHERS#3B554A0A#2#0_ci.bmp I got (The only of the five dumps that seems to work for this texture).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Thanks, I will take a look.

EDIT #1:

I see where the problem is. The CRC is calculated on the base texture, and the base texture is replicated a few times and become a larger texture before it is actually used in the game. For this game, the same base texture is replicated in different ways and to different sizes at different times.

This is really a headache, because modern DirectX and OpenGL do not support the N64 texture replication method and the plugin has to prepare a much larger texture than the base texture. Such textures should be enhanced on the base texture only, not on an enlarged replicated base texture.

It is nice to see that the problem is not with the CRC computation, but with texture replication.

There won't be an easy way to solve it. I will try to do something about it.

Last edited:

optimus$prime

rice: so the problem is the size of the hires_texture, right?
then it should work when creating a highres with same size but this doesn't makes any sense grrrrrrrrrrr

Rice

Emulator Developer
It is more complicated than that.

I am giving an example here.

The base texture 32x32 (the green wall texture in _pm_'s post) is used in such ways
replicated to 160x160
replicated to 128x96

Another base texture 64x64 (the grey wall texture) is used as:
replicated to 256x384
replicated to 256x256

The small base textures need to be replicated to make large textures (but not just use the replication flag for the texture which allows the texture to be replicated infinitely. The large texture needs to be clamped at the edge. How smart is such a way to use a textures in N64 hardware, and how sad neither OpenGL nor DirectX can support such a way of texture replicated with a maximum size limitation. And how stupid is the game using texture in such a way!) If such base textures are enhanced to 4 times of the original size, and the enhanced textures still need to be replicated as many times to make much a larger texture. The size and the memory usage of the final texture will become a real problem.

in order to make the hires texture of 160x160 which is based on a 32x32 texture, the base texture is enlarged 4 times and becomes 128x128, and the replicated final texture will become 640x640. The usage of memory will be out of control.

The current version of the plugin has a bug. Dumpped textures (not from the debugger, but dumpped when you enable to the texture dump option) are in the base texture size. When such a replicated texture is loaded, the plugin tries to match the base texture size to the replicated large texture size, and the result is false, so the plugin won't use the high-res base texture on such replicated large textures.

_pm_ dumped the texture from the debugger which actually dumpped the replicated large texture. Sizes match with the hires version of the replicated large texture inside the plugin so the hires texture is applied (in a wrong way).

No solution by now, please wait, or just don't try to make hires texture for such textures.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Well, there is a cheap solution for now, even without need to do any modification of the source.

Try to enable the option "Try to use smaller textures (faster)" for this game.

With this option on, the plugin won't replicate the base texture to make large textures, but instead, it uses the base texture and set the replication flag. This option might introduce some minor graphic glitches, but it may not, depending on games. Since the base textures are used instead of large replicated textures, the hires base texture will work (for most textures).

Rice

optimus$prime

Optimus Prime SSB MENU hires_textures0.1

this is my first release of the menu textures :party:

this includes:
all 10 character icons
icon background
menu hand

try it and then tell me what could be better
yes i now some of them are renderes - some are comic
so there will be improvements in future

what do you think?

Last edited:

Dejital

show24kp.gif
-->
show10hm.gif

If you want it...

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
optimus$prime said:

what do you think?

Kirby and Jigglypuff's heads are a little off, but other then that it's pretty good. :D

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
Well, there is a cheap solution for now, even without need to do any modification of the source.

Try to enable the option "Try to use smaller textures (faster)" for this game.

With this option on, the plugin won't replicate the base texture to make large textures, but instead, it uses the base texture and set the replication flag. This option might introduce some minor graphic glitches, but it may not, depending on games. Since the base textures are used instead of large replicated textures, the hires base texture will work (for most textures).

Rice

Thanks for your support, Rice. It's nice to know that you figured where the main problem is, and it's also nice to know that this doesn't involve your CRC computation algorithm (it makes sense, it's always the same texture!). Anyways, I see this is a major problem, and looks like it's game-specific. :(

I tested the plugin with "Try to use..." option enabled. As you said, the base texture is applied without any modifications. For some reason, the green texture looks better this way, lol :) (blukstak, resize it to 128x128 to fix your problem).

EDIT: Looks like stretching is working fine on that texture, it seems I'm using the wrong texture dump (the 96x96 one, resized to 128x128), that may be the reason why the bricks look smaller than the originals.

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
optimus$prime said:
this is my first release of the menu textures :party:

this includes:
all 100 character icons
icon background
menu hand

what do you think?

Very good work, optimus.

A little suggestion: As Vile324 said, Kirby and Jigglypuff are a bit off. If possible, try to center them a bit for the next release.

Anyways, keep the good work!! :)

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_

As I said, the cheap and quick way may work for most textures. I implied that it would work for not all of them. There are something I need to fix in order to make the cheap and quick solution a better solution. I will do it later.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
_pm_

As I said, the cheap and quick way may work for most textures. I implied that it would work for not all of them. There are something I need to fix in order to make the cheap and quick solution a better solution. I will do it later.

No problem. Anyways, almost all the problematic textures look fine with this workaround (that's what i tried to explain in my previous post). What I mean is that some of them can be replaced with hi-res ones with no problem, so I don't see a need for an "urgent" update for this. Also, it seems this happens in SSB only, so take your time. :)

On the other hand, there are about 2000 more textures in the game to make hi-res before these ones. :)

Keep the good work :)

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Hey Optimus, take a look at these pics!!! :bouncy: The first uses the original textures, and the second has a combo of our hirez textures. Look and compare yourself :)

Also, forget what I said about modifying JigglyPuff, I realized that the original is a bit off too. :)