What's new

Your reason for N64 emulation?

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
What's your reason for emulating the N64 instead of playing the original? Besides *cough*free games*cough*...

I got a strong reminder yesterday why I like emulation over the original console. I was over at my cousin's house and we played a few games of SSB, but I had to stop after a while because the blurriness hurt my eyes (and it was on a good-quality flatscreen, too). I'm so accustomed to pumping it out at 1280x960 that even playing his GC was pretty bad. In addition, the controller was so small compared to my Wingman that I had to hold the left grip and extend my thumb over to the analog stick to achieve any sort of comfort.

revl8er

That Damn Good
It was free games, better resolution, and the curiosity on how good games will run on the emulator.

scotty

The Great One
Laziness is the main issue, I just dont feel like getting the N64 out of the cobwebs, usually I play the games I own anyways, I dont really have much more than I owned, so if I could buy the games I owned, especially Conkers BFD I probably would have bought if I actuallly could have.

I like the PC anyways, unlimited saving space (memory, save positions).

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I <3 State Saving. The fact that I get to play games that were never released, get to mess around with the game more since I don't own a real Gameshark, better resolution and graphics, and it's easier and handier.

s|rens

till the end of time
As Scotty stated, I also just can't be bothered to pull it out of the closet and set it up... i do have a few games on the original console but prefer just to play it on my pc.

Plus playing it at 1600x1200 resolution is always good!

Quvack

Cant say I'm into playing games under emulators much, mostly into it for the technical side of things, it interests me :) and coz I like making gameshark codes without crashing my N64 so often, gives me the ability to try some things which I just couldnt do on the N64.

Curiosity in general, how fast it would run, how it would look and sound, but one of my favorite games has yet to be emulated... Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.
But I stil play the real N64 on my PC when I have time to do so.

Clements

I'm now more interested in the technical side rather than playing the games. I owned, played and completed many of the N64's best games on the real thing, so now I wish to see how far N64 emulation can go to match the real thing, I now my free time is diminishing, I haven't got a lot of time to play the games properly anymore.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I'm just here for the development nowadays. I'm bored on n64 games...they're just not fun anymore. But seeing emulators progress is where the fun lies.

Hawk

Bird Of Prey
N64 is a superb Console and i have always been a great fan of it.
N64 emulation IMO has regenerated many sales of both the Carts & Consoles over the years so to me N64 Emulation has been a Phoenix from the ashes for the last 2 - 3 years for the real console.

N64 of course looks far better on the PC & through a TV then the N64 ever did.
But my Main admiration is for the Developers who make such fantastic Emulators like Project64, 1964, Nemu etc.

Great work and hopefully more development in this section rather then this strange rush for next gen stuff like Ps2 and GC.

Lets hope N64 Emulation will be continued.

scotty

The Great One
Doomulation said:
I'm just here for the development nowadays. I'm bored on n64 games...they're just not fun anymore. But seeing emulators progress is where the fun lies.

I have to agree, N64 emulation is good once and awhile, but Im playing the SNES more than any other console emulator. My time has been reduced as welll now that Im in University.

2fast4u

what interests me is mainly progress on the development ... that and giving people on this board shit constantly :p im pretty much thru with playing games personally.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
The reason that got me here in the beginning was being able to play the games for free. I don't own an N64.

But now... I haven't played an N64 game in a long time. I'm here to see the progress on various emulators, and I'm here because of the community.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
scotty said:
I have to agree, N64 emulation is good once and awhile, but Im playing the SNES more than any other console emulator. My time has been reduced as welll now that Im in University.
Ah yes, good ol' snes. I play it once in a while, still. That counts for more than n64 :p

Kaoss626

-High Resolutions
-High Refresh Rate
-Anti Ailiasing
-Ansiotropic Filtering
-Save States
-Multiple memory slots without having to constantly fumble with memory cards
-Mouse/Keyboard for First Person Shooters
-Being able to change Roms in seconds without having to dig out the shoe box
-More Customization in controls even if the Rom does not support it
-Touch of the button Cheats (not like I use them much) instead of fumbling with the GS
-Its was freaking cool to be able to use my PC for more than just Unreal Tournament

It sure wasn't to deal with something possibly slower and more unstable, but I'll happily live with that because there are so many advantages. Besides more recent emulators are much more stable and compatable than the original UltraHLE on VoodooII SLI (rocked the house!!!)