What's new

What Video Card Works The Best For Project64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clements

C in the context I was using refers to the Intel Pentium 4 CPU with a Northwood core with 800MHz FSB.

The Pentium D refers to the dual core chips, E refers to Prescott etc.

mix

I went to the store and bought C++ books and computer hardware with my b-day money when my friends were buying video games with thiers, hehe.

Why do different CPU cores come out? Can't they just have one AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with one good core instead of like 3 with different cores?

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
Clements said:
C in the context I was using refers to the Intel Pentium 4 CPU with a Northwood core with 800MHz FSB.

The Pentium D refers to the dual core chips, E refers to Prescott etc.

ah ok still a little confused but eh oh well, i should figure it all out,
its been a while since i built a pc, but however, im still hoping my Processor is 2.8GHz like he said!

mix

SithLord666 said:
its been a while since i built a pc, but however, im still hoping my Processor is 2.8GHz like he said!

Even if it's not you can save up and get a AMD Athlon 64 when they drop in price...that's what i'm doing.

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
mix said:
Even if it's not you can save up and get a AMD Athlon 64 when they drop in price...that's what i'm doing.

eh true, Just Bought It for games either way still a good buy,
(it should play GTA Vice City And Star Wars Kotor 2 Perfect)

mix

SithLord666 said:
eh true, Just Bought It for games either way still a good buy,
(it should play GTA Vice City And Star Wars Kotor 2 Perfect)

Yeah, it should but if you wanna play the new games like F.E.A.R and HL2 (one of the best games i've played) you're gonna need to upgrade I think.

Clements

mix said:
Why do different CPU cores come out? Can't they just have one AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with one good core instead of like 3 with different cores?

Because technology improves (addition of SSE3 and other improvements via the Venice/San Diego Athlon64 chips for example) or the CPU is intended for a different purpose (e.g. server chips like Opteron, Itanium, Xeon).

Unless it's an Intel processor, or the sales guy is more stupid than you are already implying (by not knowing the core speed of his own products) and is selling you a $1011 chip for 15% of the cost.

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
here is the system requirments for the 2 games i really want to play
I Also Really Want To Play The N64 Rom Of Conkers Bad Fur Day,
Without Flaws And Errors!

GTA Vice City:
Recommended:
Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon XP processor 256(+) MB of RAM
16 speed CD / DVD drive
1.55 GB of free hard disk space
64(+) MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce 3" / "Radeon 8500"
DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card with surround sound

Star Wars Kotor 2 Knights Of The Rebuplic
Minimum system requirements
Pentium III 1.0 Ghz
256 MB RAM
CD-ROM Drive Speed 4X
100% DirectX 9.0b compatible hardware
64MB DirectX 9.0 video card

Last edited:
OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
ok i got an email from him this is what he said,

Yes, the actual speed is slower, but all AMDs are generally considered to run at whatever the number that accompanies them is. For example, an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ will run faster than a Pentium 4 3.2GHz. Ask around on the forum for an explanation. It involves a faster multiplier and basically the AMDs being more efficient and getting more out of a certain speed than Pentiums can. I don't know all the details, but I'm sure someone on the forum will

Clements

Yep, that's similar to what I said earlier in the thread, although it's not a faster multiplier that makes the Athlon64 faster (it in fact has a lower multiplier than the average Pentium 4) - it's a combination of much less pipeline stages (resulting in a higher performance per clock) and the integrated memory controller that allows it to keep up and exceed the performance of the higher clocked Pentiums.

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
Clements said:
Yep, that's similar to what I said earlier in the thread, although it's not a faster multiplier that makes the Athlon64 faster (it in fact has a lower multiplier than the average Pentium 4) - it's a combination of much less pipeline stages (resulting in a higher performance per clock) and the integrated memory controller that allows it to keep up and exceed the performance of the higher clocked Pentiums.

So you think I Got A Good Buy or What? I mean Still A good Computer If Its A 1.8GHz it would be the most fastest Computer I have ever Owned! :)

mix

SithLord666 said:
So you think I Got A Good Buy or What? I mean Still A good Computer If Its A 1.8GHz it would be the most fastest Computer I have ever Owned! :)

What you are getting is a AMD 64 2800+ because that CPU is 1.8Ghz and it's better than a Pentuim 4 2.8Ghz. It's better than my CPU and my CPU is pretty good...so I say it's a good buy.

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
mix said:
What you are getting is a AMD 64 2800+ because that CPU is 1.8Ghz and it's better than a Pentuim 4 2.8Ghz. It's better than my CPU and my CPU is pretty good...so I say it's a good buy.

sweet thats all i need to know! so all i need now, is more memory and a kick ass video card, and i should be able to play N64! :)

Clements

An Athlon64 2800+ (@1.8GHz) would generally outperform my Athlon XP CPU (which is clocked at 2.3GHz) in almost all CPU tests despite being clocked 500MHz slower. My processor works fine in all emulation, so the Athlon64 should be also fine.

mix

I wish I had an AMD 64 CPU...*looks for a socket A to socket 939 adapter*. Are there such things?

EDIT:Clements, we have the same CPU, so why is mine clocked at 2.2Ghz and yours is 2.3Ghz?

OP
SithLord666

SithLord666

Banned
Clements said:
An Athlon64 2800+ would generally outperform my Athlon XP CPU (which is clocked at 2.3GHz) in almost all CPU tests despite being clocked 500MHz slower. My processor works fine in all emulation, so the Athlon64 should be also fine.

he told me that i can later upgrade the processor to Athlon 3.7 GHz Something like that, anyway i just got an email from him again, should have my pc by tuesday or wednesday :)

Clements

mix said:
I wish I had an AMD 64 CPU...*looks for a socket A to socket 939 adapter*. Are there such things?

Upgrade motherboards do exist that support different sockets, not sure if one exists for Socket A. It wouldn't be worth buying these as you would need a new motherboard anyway.

mix said:
EDIT:Clements, we have the same CPU, so why is mine clocked at 2.2Ghz and yours is 2.3Ghz?

I overclocked mine (I raised my FSB to 209MHz, so 11x209 = 2299MHz).

mix

SithLord666 said:
he told me that i can later upgrade the processor to Athlon 3.7 GHz Something like that, anyway i just got an email from him again, should have my pc by tuesday or wednesday :)

There is no AMD 3.7Ghz...there isn't even an AMD 3.0Ghz CPU.

EDIT: Well, I looked at my motherboard bios and it doesn't let me raise the FSB any further than 400Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.