What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

kostamarino

Already covers enough but..

Yes ,there is always a but... First of all change the default counterfactor settings to a lower value or make them automatic as someone said.I have a hi spec pc ,and with the default counterfactor settings i thought Conker Bad Fur day was just too demanding for my pc, but to my surprise with a lower value all things were well. And it is inconvienient for everyone to have to know about it or adjust the settings.Also is it possible to make Rumble pak and Memory pak work at the same time? I hate to have to choose between them(also i prefer native saves due to their size).

Nazgul11

Wow, there are a lot of great ideas here, and besides of course adding even better support for games, a well programmed netplay would be awesome. I mean, I tried PJ64K, and it works ok, but it is laggy, and it is bulit off of the 1.4 build...which limits the amount of games you can play, and most games don't work super well.

Poobah

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that Dolby Pro-logic is just a better-sounding version of regular stereo. Although it is restricted to the same amount of bandwidth as regular stereo, there is still an evident rear channel. I've tried playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on my original N64, and its Pro-logic surround sound is awesome! It sounds just as good as in theatres to me.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Poobah said:
I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that Dolby Pro-logic is just a better-sounding version of regular stereo. Although it is restricted to the same amount of bandwidth as regular stereo, there is still an evident rear channel. I've tried playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on my original N64, and its Pro-logic surround sound is awesome! It sounds just as good as in theatres to me.

great, can you put pj64 through that TV and see if that sounds the same? please.

my point was that people seem to be asking us to process the sound from n64 games into >2 channels (i.e. for true surround on their 5.1 speakers). afaik this isn't possible - i've seen downmixers (to produce pro-logic/or PLII), no problem you just need the right matrix (see ffdshow), i've never seen "up"mixers. if anyone knows that dolby pro-logic conversion to DD5.1 is possible do tell.

edit: actually might be do-able in software but seems complicated. (the encoding matrix is no problem, decoding seems hard to find.)
(seems to involve: active matrix, delays, low pass filter,..! jesus christ this is a project in itself).

DPLII (are the games using this or DPL1?) is a 5 channel system: L, C, R, Sl, Sr. DPL seems to be four channel L, C, R, S

some links:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_II.html
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35209
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

this really needs its own thread
if anyone knows a standard DPL(II) software DECODER we can just use, please post. it has to be free, not even GPL. C or C++ source or possibly a .dll. otherwise this isn't going to happen i think.

but going back to what i was saying before, if the PJ64 RSP is working properly and you have a DPL decoder, either in your sound card* (?) or TV, you should be hearing the games' surround as intended. if that isn't working it should be fixed, otherwise as Jabo says this comes under "cool extended features" that aren't very important. it's a nice idea though!

* of course that's not the end of it,. you're going to want to re-encode it as AC3 probably for your speaker system. this seems to be getting outside what PJ64 should be handling hmm.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
are there any plans for the dex drive in pj64 1.7

plz excuse me if there are and i did not see them

and yes i know about n-rage;

it's just a question

Poobah

Smiff, I am unable to test Project64 with my sound system for two reasons:
1. My computer doesn't have a S-Video or composite video output.
2. My sound system is currently away for repairs.

I think you should make a new thread about this, because it is very important.

sleeper

I don't know if this is possible but it would be so cool if You could add "nomal maps" support for the this project(i saw a reqest for high quality textures so why not this). I know that somebody would have to make "normal maps" from 3d detailed models, but maybe it is possible. I know only that "normal maps" are making low-poly models look realy well without high number of polygons. Like I said i don't know if it is possible but if it was then wow just imagine Mario 64 or any other model looking like next-gen.

Ballard

What I want to see in Project64:

Cycle-accurate, exact emulation, regardless of system requirements... like BSNES.

;)

waterberg

I would like to see a mode in which N64 games can be run in their original resolutions with their original framerates. In the current release, the framerates are smoother than what was seen on real hardware. For example, Mortal Kombat 4, when played on hardware, would slowdown during many special moves. Most of that slowdown is absent on Project 64 1.6. Only Scorps fire breath causes slowdown, but it is not as pronounced as it was on the real thing.

badwog

I want Netplay not the same as 'project64k'

project64k lags out not that good Server

i want project64 netplay server
project64 nead a good server never lags .

rprsplitter9

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and i think it could improve N64 gameplay alot. Is there a way that you could increase the draw distance in the games. For instance, it Ocarina of Time, when you are in Kakori Forest you can always see the kids fairies before it actually "draws" the characters model when you are far away from them. If this would be possible it could be pretty awsome.

Ballard

rprsplitter9 said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and i think it could improve N64 gameplay alot. Is there a way that you could increase the draw distance in the games. For instance, it Ocarina of Time, when you are in Kakori Forest you can always see the kids fairies before it actually "draws" the characters model when you are far away from them. If this would be possible it could be pretty awsome.

Is the "draw distance" of PJ64 the same as the hardware? If so, it should be exactly the same as the hardware, or you are undermining the point of an emulator... but, if the emulator is not drawing objects as well or as far as the hardware, then it should be improved.

Clements

Draw distance is the same as the real hardware. On the opposite end of the scale, PJ64 still culls polygons close to the screen in certain games, although this improved a lot with the 1.6 plugin.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Clements said:
Draw distance is the same as the real hardware. On the opposite end of the scale, PJ64 still culls polygons close to the screen in certain games, although this improved a lot with the 1.6 plugin.
I remember them saying that was a DX issue. It might be that because it got too close to the camera, it got clipped. AFAIK, they used a workaround to get around this.
Still, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :evil:

rprsplitter9

I don't think that you understood what I meant, well maybe Ballard did. I don't have my N64 here right now to check, but I don't think that what I am talking about is actually a "problem", because I'm sure that for the real N64 they capped the draw distance because it would drop the FPS due to hardware limitations (my earlier example of the faries appearing before the characters models). I believe that the faries apeared because they are sprites and not 3D models, so there wasn't a cap on how close you have to be to see them. So what I'm asking for isn't "real" emulation, I just think it would be cool to increase draw distance, like GTA SA for PC there is a setting that lets you increase draw distance so that eg. your standing on a tall mountain and the higher draw distance setting you have the more of the city you can see.

Ballard

rprsplitter9 said:
I don't think that you understood what I meant, well maybe Ballard did. I don't have my N64 here right now to check, but I don't think that what I am talking about is actually a "problem", because I'm sure that for the real N64 they capped the draw distance because it would drop the FPS due to hardware limitations (my earlier example of the faries appearing before the characters models). I believe that the faries apeared because they are sprites and not 3D models, so there wasn't a cap on how close you have to be to see them. So what I'm asking for isn't "real" emulation, I just think it would be cool to increase draw distance, like GTA SA for PC there is a setting that lets you increase draw distance so that eg. your standing on a tall mountain and the higher draw distance setting you have the more of the city you can see.

That would be neat, but only superficially. That would be like saying, "Gee, the MAME guys should speed hack Street Fighter 2, so that there's no slowdown when you KO a guy or in Metal Slug when tons of sprites and huge objects enter the screen". That woudn't be accurate.

I mean, Project64 rocks and is the best available N64 emu available, but it's still not 100% (cycle) accurate, so making the thing do more than the original hardware would bog down the attempt to emulate what the original hardware CAN do.

Maybe when we are all running 5Ghz PCs and they've made it perfectly cycle-accurate, perhaps some upgrades and hacks would do what you want it to do.

gendoikari4

I actually have the origional hardware and I still use project 64. This is very common. Why do we do it? Because playing a game on the computer means higher resolution, higher fps, cheets, textures, gamestates, different controlers, etc. Emulation has always been about making the games better than they were on the origional system.

Aside from that, I think that you may have picked the one and only situation where adding such a draw distance feature would undermine the intended point of the game. Almost all people in Oot draw when they are still fairly far away, the only exception is the kakori children. This is not for any fps reason, but because it is meant to be there. it's magic or something.

Still, I would like that feature, it would make it easier to find patches of grass to cut down on MM, and make the world look larger in general for many games. It would, of course, be an option. Likely off by default.

The style of thought that says anything classic or origional is better by default is simply bad. Often older games are better, and often they are worse. There is nothing inherently sacred about the details of games we play. It's not like the bible where changing a detail is sacrilegious (not that I go for religion).

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
gendoikari4 said:
is anybody going to reply about my 64 bit support question at the bottom of page 27? As a programmer, I am very curious.

I can not see a reason to do it. There is a thread to say pj64 is fast enougth. So there is no reason to do it for speed reasons. It is not just changing the way the program is compiled, it is rebuilding most of the recompiler. A lot of work that would improve speed. There is also the issue of introducing bugs. I just do not see the benifit