• What's a videogame?

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Anyone who thinks Video games cause violence must be shot

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
vampireuk said:
Pacifism is a nice idea, but it can get you killed. We're not quite yet there folks, evolution is slow smallpox is fast:D

I'm not pacifist. If I have to, I'll get violent. But I always try to find a rational solution first.

Non-violent != pacifist.

Aside: Forgot to say in my first post: I actually find violent games somewhat therapeutic. Blowing people up in a video game is a great way to relieve anger and frustration, that doesn't hurt anyone. :flowers:

NeoNight

When you think about it, if a person is constantly viewing violent images over and over for long periods of time. At some point it is possible for them to (after a really long period of time I would think) develop psychotic tendencies. I think you would notice this more with counter strike player’s lol. Seriously though Its kind of like what you see in certain moives/t.v shows where they would tie someone up to a chair and have them watch disturbing images over and over.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
NeoNight said:
When you think about it, if a person is constantly viewing violent images over and over for long periods of time. At some point it is possible for them to (after a really long period of time I would think) develop psychotic tendencies. I think you would notice this more with counter strike player’s lol. Seriously though Its kind of like what you see in certain moives/t.v shows where they would tie someone up to a chair and have them watch disturbing images over and over.

While we're at it, let's compare video games to Chinese water torture. :flowers:

The difference with what you're saying, is the tying up to a chair means they see NOTHING ELSE and what they see is usually indescribably disturbing (like, say, little children being cut up or something like that. *shudder*).

2fast4u

AlphaWolf said:
Well, irony isn't quite the word I was actualy looking for, but they named a few examples.

well irony pribably isnt the right word ... anyway ... its a bunch of shit around here to sum it up really well. only fucking country in the world to censor and even prohibit sale of games that "might" contain youth affecting violence. blame conservative minds and the churches. :doh:

as of 1st of april there is new laws requiring each game or cd to be rated by a government agency. if they are not they are automatically rated "18+" .. which resultet in my recently having to show my id for buying a damn guano apes cd (btw, their 3rd album sucks). this is the biggest pile of shit ive seen in my life.

to go with some lyrics ..

"... there must be a thousand good reasons to be proud of this coutry but i just cant think of any ..."

Clements

NeoNight said:

You're thinking of Blanka from the Street Fighter movie. :happy:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:
blame conservative minds

I dunno, from what I have seen in press releases, its always liberal representatives that want to try to regulate video games, although that is a conservative concept. It's pretty much the same as firearms, the liberals are always trying to ban firearms in any way that they can, which is also a conservative concept.

Theres more irony for you, liberalism means you favor freedom over order, whereas conservativism (if thats a word) means you favor order over freedom. These two seem to have exchanged meanings over time.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Well guys, while i'm obviously on your side, music can certaintly cause violence.

Go listen to...ohh let's say...Vulgar Display of Power (Pantera), and tell me you don't want to run over some poor shmuck. In fact, I think I can personally say i've had moments of music induced violence. Luckily no one found the bodies. :saint:

NeoNight

Tagrineth said:
While we're at it, let's compare video games to Chinese water torture. :flowers:

The difference with what you're saying, is the tying up to a chair means they see NOTHING ELSE and what they see is usually indescribably disturbing (like, say, little children being cut up or something like that. *shudder*).

this is gonna sound crazy (no pun intended) but I think its not just the violent images themsevles, but actually the constent FLASHING of those images.

2fast4u

AlphaWolf said:
I dunno, from what I have seen in press releases, its always liberal representatives that want to try to regulate video games, although that is a conservative concept. It's pretty much the same as firearms, the liberals are always trying to ban firearms in any way that they can, which is also a conservative concept.

Theres more irony for you, liberalism means you favor freedom over order, whereas conservativism (if thats a word) means you favor order over freedom. These two seem to have exchanged meanings over time.

inform yourself about the situation i was talking about (germany) ... its the conservatives around here who dug up that mindless idea. take the christian democratic party for example.

as for the "conservativism" thingie i suggest you take a closer look at the "shut the hell up and buy a flag"-act that the bush administration introduced.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:

as for the "conservativism" thingie i suggest you take a closer look at the "shut the hell up and buy a flag"-act that the bush administration introduced.

Which would be ... ?

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I don't think violent video games make you violent, they just give you more practice and creativity in your violence.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Orkin said:
I don't think violent video games make you violent, they just give you more practice and creativity in your violence.

Winnah be you!

wish i can phrase it so good:)