What's new

The EmuTalk PSP Thread {Merged}

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Psp

I'm thinkin of gettin a PSP, and has anyone imported it from japan or pre-ordered it in usa? If anyone's got one, can u say wot u think of it, and how the battery life is to u?
cheers people :party:

Stezo2k

S-2K
I heard that the battery life is around 6-8 hours and around 3 hours when processing a lot, kind of a shame really, i hope the US/UK release has a better battery

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I'd like to get one, although word around the campfire is that the battery life is only around 4 hours.

Pretty rubbish, but I may still invest when they drop to under £100.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
I just don't like the concept myself, even though I have had the opportunity to see one personally (the firing a UMD trick amused me for about 5 minutes, until it happened once accidentally while playing. I also dislike the `slider` immensely). I don't plan on repurchasing the few movies I'd want to watch on an (allegedly quite prone to breakage) UMD, the screen is not quite the wonderous thing the press would have you believe. Nor do I have any desire to spend hours converting movies (if possible) for it, or to use a device that size for music when I can throw tracks on my USB2 mp3 player or vast amounts of albums/data onto my HI-MD Minidisc recorder (1GB per disc... yummy.) Oddly enough the one thing I never checked on was battery life.

Also when it comes to games, I'd much rather have something just pure laugh-out-loud fun that works better than say Ridge Racer on the move... like Warioware Touched! or even the catapult minigame in Mario64DS, or throw up a pictochat or Hunter's game and see how long it takes for someone to join. I'm waiting semi-patiently for Animal Crossing with WIFI, and for Nintendogs and Electroplankton, two of the most original and clever `experiences` out there.
I love the control system and the fact the whole thing is just built for one purpose; Quick, instantly enjoyable and fun games. No loading garbage, no comical flaws or shoehorned in funcionality, just games. Nintendo make the best of them - we all know that.
Sony don't want it as a games machine, therefore I have no real need for one.

"This ode to the DS provided free of charge."

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Im wonderin, could I buy it off amazon.com and have it shipped to the uk to where i live, and as the exchange rate is it could be pretty cheap, could this work?

JinXD

DarthDazDC said:
Im wonderin, could I buy it off amazon.com and have it shipped to the uk to where i live, and as the exchange rate is it could be pretty cheap, could this work?
I don't think so, I've checked out the amazon.com site for that before.....

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The psp has approximetly 6 hours of battery life. And if you try to watch movies on it, it will hold out barely enough to watch the entire movie (battery life, ca 2.5 hours I think). This is what I've read, though. I'm not going to purchase one of those crap machines for $200+.
So... after watching a movie, you'll have to recharge it and... WAIT A MINUTE! The psp has no rechargeable battery!!!
Oh yeah, and the screen is much easier to scratch. Just what you'd expect from sony. Idiots.

2fast4u

Doomulation said:
So... after watching a movie, you'll have to recharge it and... WAIT A MINUTE! The psp has no rechargeable battery!!!

hrm ... holy shit thats news to me. the psps concept look great in the beginning but the battery life alone, the screen, the flying discs of doom and all that really bring the thing down, its pathetic. not to mention not a single game worth playing so far.

Gorxon

Administrator
Doom, what on earth are you smoking?
Of course the PSP has a rechargeable battery, something else would be rediculous.

Doomulation

Not from sony. So let me check again then, but from what i've heard it has no rechargeable battery (or at least no charger).
EDIT: It seems sites are ambigious, stating both. What from sony's official site?
EDIT2: Okay, I THINK that if you want rechargeable battery you need to buy those stupid packs. Buying the system alone won't do it, afaik. Can't be sure, but the battery time is very poor nevertheless.

Last edited:

Clements

What's In The Box:

1 x PSP Sony Handheld Portable Console (Japanese version)
1 x PSP AC Adaptor (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)
1 x PSP Battery Pack
1 x Free Travel Plug

THE VALUE PACK ALSO INCLUDES;
1 x PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB
1 x PSP Headphones With Remote Control
1 x PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap

Gorxon

Administrator
Seriously, it having a rechargable battery is so obvious that you shouldn't even question it. It's a lithion-ion battery by the way...and yes, they are rechargeable :p

Doomulation

Gorxon said:
Seriously, it having a rechargable battery is so obvious that you shouldn't even question it.
I'd question it if it were sony! They apparently like to piss us off. Or be non-nice in a general way (as in not being the way nintendo is).

It's a lithion-ion battery by the way...and yes, they are rechargeable :p
Don't know that much about batteries... did not know lithion is rechargeable, by default at least...

Well, that's some good news, but the battery time is too short for one thing.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Doomulation said:
Or be non-nice in a general way (as in not being the way nintendo is).
There isn't a big enough rolleyes smiley to fit this statement, but I'm still going to try.

Doomulation

Did not know it was using li-ion battery. After all, the old gameboy advance was still using normal batteries. And the next machine I was getting was the DS, which had this li-ion or whatever it's called. Plus I've only read about the psp; not owned one.

smegforbrain

My wife was asking me about whether the PSP would be something to consider buying.

We travel often enough, and a PSP would beat lugging her laptop around if we're just using it to watch a movie or two on flights, especially if the battery time is about the same.

But, then I had to explain to her what the hell the UMD is, and how we'd be stuck buying or renting (has Sony talked about that as an option yet?) movies we possibly already have.

So, either rentals would need to be an option, or some sort of blank UMD that I could take an existing DVD and convert it onto a UMD for use.

Even then, I've read articles that say the PSP is best for what it was first designed for: games. All else on the PSP - movies, music - is not as good as advertised.