What's new

the big graphics card survey of Project64 users

Which graphics card do you mainly use with Project64?

• 3dfx Voodoo 1/2

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 3dfx Banshee

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3dfx Voodoo 3

Votes: 24 5.3%
  • 3dfx Voodoo 4/5

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • ATI Rage Pro

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • ATI Rage 128

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • ATI Radeon (any model of)

Votes: 50 11.1%
  • Intel (i740, i810, other)

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Matrox G100/G200

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Matrox G400/G450/G550

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • NEC PowerVR Kyro 1/2

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • nVidia Riva128

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nVidia TNT 1/2

Votes: 45 10.0%
  • nVidia GeForce 1/2

Votes: 176 38.9%
  • nVidia GeForce 3/4

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • S3 Savage 2000/4

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Other (any card not listed here)

Votes: 13 2.9%
  • Don't know (I'm not exactly sure which card I have in my PC)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well i havent included cards without a proper basic (like Voodoo1 class) 3d feature set, like Xpert, Millenium, Cirrus, erm what else... i mean you can just tick "other" cos there's no way those cards are ever going to perform.

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Well, I put GeForce 3/4, since I'm getting a GF4 Ti4600 in 2 weeks with my new computer, and i'll finally be able to use PJ64 decently :)

Is there anyone here whos tested the GF4 Ti and seen how its quality is? Is it the same as the GF3?

-Angechu

CoCoLUS

just voted for other, i'm playing on a notebook with a sis 630 chip for graphics. actually performs very good :)

CoCoLUS

Tesla-Guy

The GF4MX is an upgrade of gf2mx and has nothing to do with gf4ti series except a few technologies like Lightspeed Architecture II

Tesla-Guy

Smiff said:
well i havent included cards without a proper basic (like Voodoo1 class) 3d feature set, like Xpert, Millenium, Cirrus, erm what else... i mean you can just tick "other" cos there's no way those cards are ever going to perform.

XPERT series is based on the RAGE chipset i *think*

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Reznor007 said:
Just a note though.

The Geforce 4 MX cards are NOTHING like the normal Geforce 4 boards. They lack the pixel shader capabilities, and the only vertex shader stuff is through a software driver emulation. It's more like a Geforce2. It should be listed separately.

That is definitely true, and a point well made. John Carmack (among the many) put down nVidia a while ago for doing this, and I agree with him. This was a bad move and sets a lot of confusion with the video cards for the GeForce4, even more confusion from my perspective than all the MX stuff that was introduced in the GeForce2.

However, for the sake of this poll (and most software, which is why nvidia probably doesn't care) I really don't think it's worth worrying about, currently any GeForce is fine with us. Technically for our purposes we could of even put the GeForce 1/2/3/4 all in one category, but I think Smiff opted to have a little separation just to make things interesting for us.

Kakarot

8MB Vanta LT. I don't how in the blue hell but I run all my n64 roms in 1024x768x16 or 800x600x32 at full speed with no errors that are a result of my card. In 32 bit color mode anything higher than 800x600 crashes the emu. Can anyone explain why this cheap ass card performs so well in N64 emus (Jabo's plugin in particular)? *Note* It sucks at PC games (newer ones) *Note*

Jabo

Emulator Developer
a Vanta is a really cheap version of a Riva TNT, that is probably why, 8 megs is really little tho

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
SSonicHedgehog said:
I have an Intel 810 Chipset
jabo's v1.4 has a lot of gfx problems on my computer
2d gfx mostly

More of a transparency Problem on 2D, 3D No Prob. I Just Dont Like 2D Effects that can make you see thru 3D Polygons :(
Also, Updated my Drivers & DXDiag Says I have 32MB, Before I had 4.5MB. Hmmmmmmmmm... See Pic...

UltimatePlayer

Only 3 with Matrox 450 gfx card... ?
Oh, my!... it works almost fine.. just those... strange texture issues... like Link and his Horse in white... O_O

:(

Jabo

Emulator Developer
CpU MasteR said:
If We Find a Winner, What Will Happen? Will jabo Come back with a New 3D Plug? Sorry, my dreams get to me... ???

I think the general purpose was to see how many people would fall under the compatible category for PJ, from the information here, over 75% have nVidia/ATi class video cars which meet or exceed the minimum requirements ... actually if you count voodoo4/5 it's almost 80%, which I guess you could count since those cards do really well considering what happened to 3Dfx ... from what I've seen at least

It's nice to see this from a developer's point of view, however, I would of liked to see a few hundred answering the poll, so, the results are on the border of inconclusive, but one has to look at the near 50% of all users having a GeForce1/2 (my card of choice) and wonder ...

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Jabo said:

I think the general purpose was to see how many people would fall under the compatible category for PJ, from the information here, over 75% have nVidia/ATi class video cars which meet or exceed the minimum requirements ... actually if you count voodoo4/5 it's almost 80%, which I guess you could count since those cards do really well considering what happened to 3Dfx ... from what I've seen at least

It's nice to see this from a developer's point of view, however, I would of liked to see a few hundred answering the poll, so, the results are on the border of inconclusive, but one has to look at the near 50% of all users having a GeForce1/2 (my card of choice) and wonder ...

What does this Mean For our Crappy Video Cards? Or how About this, What do you think about OnBoard or Intel Video Cards?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Well, I guess the easiest way to look at it, is Intel cards are part of the 20% minority <?> of users polled so far that do not support what PJ generally needs. I've never programmed on an Intel card, I can't say how flexible they are. But, from what I've seen on this forum, and read on other sites, it's not a great card for PJ.

The future for Integrated Graphics Processors is very bright, with nVidia and ATi aggressively producing these IGP's, you can expect the same innovation in recent years (GeForce/Radeon) to be brought at inexpensive prices to integrated motherboards near you with reasonable performance, instead of all this SiS/S3/Intel crap that people seem to be 'suffering' from when they purchase computers.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Jabo said:
Well, I guess the easiest way to look at it, is Intel cards are part of the 20% minority? of users polled so far that are not 100% compatible with what PJ generally needs

Myself never having programmed on an Intel card, I can't say how flexible they are, I'd really need to know someone with one, or have one myself to say. From what I've seen on this forum, and read on other sites, it's not a great card.

I would say the best cards for Direct3D in the "Not compatible" list right now would have to be the Matrox G400, with the Voodoo3 probably being a close second... but I look at it through this perspective, so far 10 people have a Voodoo3, 4 have a G400, and 4 people have Intel based solutions... not exactly the numbers that make a big impact ...

Well, I have seen sites with Intel Video SDKs, Your Last 3D Plug Wroks Fine, only with the latist XP Drivers, It Runs Slow When You turn on Change Blending If Invalid of video card, without that, you cant see anything in the menu for most games & also Slows the Game Down. Also Anisotrophic Blending tennds to slow down the Video Card as well. And For Some Reason you need Force Normal Blending to have full transparancy ???
Intel is not the best video card, but it would be nice to get your plug working on it if you plan to release another one, I might want to do support for this Video Card Myself. What do you think?

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
It would be nice to have it work on all cards. but for some cards more than others it is increasingly difficult, time was better spent on getting emulation better, and worrying about compatibility only for the majority of users, especially when the minimum requirement was falling in price so fast.

Validate Blending option illustrates my attempt at making graphics better, which it does, but as you see all of these things slow down emulation (although with enough work, that can be put in check) So to be fair, and get a more broad aspect on this (actual numbers), this poll exists. So far the poll is nice, most people are compatible, and as time goes on, hopefully everyone will be.

Martin

Administrator
Jabo said:

Smiff, update you n00s, will ya? From a as-many-votes-as-possible perspective it would probably be ideal to update the official PJ64 website with a news post and a direct link to this thread as well, but unfortunetely it would most likely cause people to get up their hopes, and as Blizz once said, all the wankers would come out of the wood work (referring to lamers getting attracted). Also, zilmar & jabo probably don't want to spoil their pretty, final post with the final release in. :p

Considering that guests aren't able to vote, and that probably 75% of our members are inactive, the number of votes so far is not that bad. :). Just having this thread sticky won't get us many votes per day (evidently).

Just my two cents. :satisfied