What's new

super mario 64 to 120 fps in a slow computer

kaiser_125

super mario 64 to 120 fps in a slow computer

I don't speak English

mario 64 and other games working up of 60 fps (banjo tooie 55-65 fps)

using the following configuration

1964 v0.85

plugin

video
jabos d3d 1.5 rendering device direct3d hal
full screen 640x480
buffer display mode transfer memory
activated hide advanced settings
audio
azimer's v0.30 old buffer size default
disabled audio fix and log output
input (anyone)

it presses a single time the key f6 (active speed sync game)

pIII 800 MHz
Not video board
Not audio board
single chip integrated sis630 (100 Mhz shared 32mb)
352 sdram
hd 40 gb
PSX psd :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Not many people here can interpret wehat you mean, kaiser.. if you mean it's great to e getting such speed, then i agree. i get very close to that high, in mario it's over 60, in tooie, its around 45 - 50 max. :)

iq_132

Banned
The video board doesn't have a lot to do with speed i've heard. I guess it's mostly processor.

Valek

It also helps that Mario 64 is probobly the simplest game on the n64 to emulate :/

Heh...anyone remember running Mario 64 on Corn? I got like 300 fps, lol.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
iq_132 said:
The video board doesn't have a lot to do with speed i've heard. I guess it's mostly processor.

When you're upgrading from anything that uses shared memory, it is. Remember, shared graphics memory is AGP memory which is HORRIBLY slow. You'd get a hefty 80% speed boost from getting something better (such as our kick ass GF4 MX 420's). :) ;)

iq_132

Banned
Oh, yeah...
Forgot about memory shares...
I have a sis motherboard with one of their built-in cards and it will only let me turn the shared memory to 2 mb. I guess I just have to deal :) Glad we could be of help kaiser_125 :)

schibo

Emulator Developer
Ok :)

Well, if you use the profiler in 1964, you'll see how much time is spent in video, core, audio (and idle time). The stats be will displayed on the statusbar.

M

mann

cooliscool said:
Not many people here can interpret wehat you mean, kaiser.. if you mean it's great to e getting such speed, then i agree. i get very close to that high, in mario it's over 60, in tooie, its around 45 - 50 max. :)

on what plugin..? and yeah right....

Valek

mann said:
on what plugin..? and yeah right....
I might be mis-interperating what you mean, but are you saying its not possible to get 45-50 fps in Tooie? I get 60 constant, although the sound skips occasionally.

iq_132

Banned
Jesse said:
In response to cooliscools rant about a Geforce 4 Mx420 if you want that piece of <font color=red>shit*</font> you should be shot, unless your board does not have an agp slot. For the $80-100 you spend on an Mx (Mexican) :p series card go for a ti4200 or 4400.. for the extra $30 its worth it.

I'd have to disagree... I love my MX. I am a cheapskate, but it works for me and does what I want it to do.

<font color=red>*Watch your mouth.</font>

oh, and I'd suggest you don't pick a fight with Cool on this...

karth95

Lord of the Cats
ok. I have to say _Something_. The Geforce 4 MX series of cards is pretty darn nice, except for the 420. Almost every hardware site says it's not worth it. the 440's and the 460's are really decent, and have the benchmarks and the prettyness to back it up. 3dmark for 3dmark, my geforce 2 ti 64 beats the 420. That's just how it is. Now, I would say that for pure directx feature support, the 420 is better. It has a more complete instruction set, allowing better effects, even if it is a little slower than the GF2 TI. In the end, this means that you will have prettier pictures than I'll have. You may have speed issues that I won't. (FYI: the GF2 supports the full DirectX 7.0 APi. The GF4 series claims full support for DirectX8. 1 API.) This is only relevant when the application uses above DirectX 7.
--Karth

Last edited:

schibo

Emulator Developer
Karth, the video portion of the profiler does not distinguish between these 2 things. It's all measured together.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Jesse said:
In response to cooliscools rant about a Geforce 4 Mx420 if you want that piece of shit you should be shot, unless your board does not have an agp slot. For the $80-100 you spend on an Mx (Mexican) :p series card go for a ti4200 or 4400.. for the extra $30 its worth it.

bah!!! stfu evil you stupid mofo ;)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
iq_132 said:
Jesse said:
In response to cooliscools rant about a Geforce 4 Mx420 if you want that piece of <font color=red>shit*</font> you should be shot, unless your board does not have an agp slot. For the $80-100 you spend on an Mx (Mexican) :p series card go for a ti4200 or 4400.. for the extra $30 its worth it.

I'd have to disagree... I love my MX. I am a cheapskate, but it works for me and does what I want it to do.

<font color=red>*Watch your mouth.</font>

oh, and I'd suggest you don't pick a fight with Cool on this...

he knows, he knows. we've fought about this on IRC quite a bit. :p